Patch job.

The stories and lives of the Grim. ((Roleplaying Stories and In Character Interactions))
Bloodscream
Lost

Patch job.

Unread post by Bloodscream »

Bloodscream stepped through his portal and into his laboratory.

As he did, the place came to life.

Bioscanners detected his presence in the room. From a dome on the ceiling came beams of light that measured and quantified him. Large cannons glared at him menacingly. He hardly noticed as he began to walk through the room and they tracked his every step. After a moment, the cannons stopped tracking him and retreated into their housings with a satisfied whir.

"Welcome home Boss." came the synthetic greeting as Jeeves wandered into view.

"The time is now 11:04pm Standard Goblin Time. The station is holding in it's new orbit around the pericarp of the Anomaly. All sensor arrays are online, Nether X converters are operating at full capacity and power reserves are at maximum."

The mechagnome kept pace as Bloodscream walked through the lab, stopping at times to study a screen on which all manner of strange symbols scrolled by at a hectic pace.

"Thanks Jeeves" Bloodscream said looking up from a console. "I'm going to need all my notes on neural interfaces as well as my design for the optiflex-13."

Bloodscream transfered the data from his goggles into his main systems. A holographic representation of Khovis' head appeared before him.

"Analyze for structural integrity, overlay the current optiflex configuration into the damaged eye."

A spherical shape appeared in the hologram. It didn't quite fit the opening.

"Open a file, optiflex-13B, project Khorvis, begin calculating integration matrix. Engage replication systems."

A female voice from nowhere answered him.

"File opened. Calculating integration matrix, replication systems engaged. Creating base materials for Optiflex-13 design."

" Boss the current design cannot maintain structural integrity, there are too many systems integrated into the eye."

Bloodscream waved his hand and the spherical shape exploded, growing ten times it's size. The orc wiggled his fingers this way and that and the components spun apart and began to reorganize themselves.

"It was something Khorvis said actually... the boy is a genius." The components stopped moving and a red circular component stood out.

"Look back not forward... Well that's not what he said he just mentioned Mohan..and that got me thinking...genius I tell you." At this stage he was talking to himself.

"Lens configuration does not meet schematic parameters, the design is invalid." the disembodied voice concluded.

"Correct" began Bloodscream.

"We don't NEED a lens this advanced, look back get it? Replace the lens with an Optiflex-7 Heartseeker model scope lens."

The shape of the lens changed in the translucent image that floated in the air. It began to adjust slightly and then turned green.

"Elegant solution Boss, the lens of a Heartseeker could be modified and recalibrated for the Optiflex-13B. Structural integrity tests are green."

"I told you... that Khorvis... he's a clever one. Calculate the new specs for the array and list them."

There was the briefest of pauses while the system made a few calculations.

"Thermographic sensors effective range of four hundred yards, optiflex magnification system estimated at one thousand yards, Light Amplication receptors operating in the four vale range, spectrographic night vision overlay operating in the sub-zero vale ranges."

Bloodscream grinned.

"Jeeves, go into the armory and get me Mohan's Heartseeker scope, I'm repurposing one of those lens... oh yes I am."

"Time to make the boy a new eye says I..." Bloodscream paused and looked around the room to confirm he was in fact, alone.

"You gotta stop talking to yourself buddy..." He concluded in open defiance of his own advice.
Neevah

Re: Patch job.

Unread post by Neevah »

(Mohan's Heartseeker scope was destroyed by Khorvis in his fel-induced corrupted rage state thing. The more you know! Unless Mohan has a second scope...)
Kerala

Unread post by Kerala »

((I believe Shaelie gave it to Syreena as a good luck charm in her recent journey. Syreena is back, as far as I'm aware? Maybe he can get it))
Bloodscream
Lost

((That would be awkward, I went back several models, Heartseeker was his lvl 70 scope. I do have a copy of every single scope Mohan ever used. Unless I am mistaken, Mohan never had anyone else make his scopes and I always keep my working prototypes in house should they need to be replicated after a particularly nasty raid. I didn't think that particular scope was already involved in several stories...sorry))
Bloodscream
Lost

((I believe I see the confusion... the last scope is ALSO called a Heartseeker... nice.))
Aureilya
Lost

Unread post by Aureilya »

(Khorvis gifted Mohan's scope to Shaelie when she became a supplicant and several things transpired, ending with Khorvis smashing the scope. Shaelie took the pieces and repaired it as best she could and sent it with Syreena as a sort of good luck charm when Syreena went on a personal quest to deal with someone from her past.

As far as I know, Syreena has Mohan's scope at the moment.

tl;dr - Khorvis is a jerk.)
Bloodscream
Lost

((Can anyone confirm it was in fact Mohan's lvl 70 Heartseeker scope and not the last scope he used?))
Syreenna
Irredeemable

Unread post by Syreenna »

((It was never specified, from what I remember, exactly which scope it was. I think you're fine. :) ))
Alts: Lirsha Deathwhistle & Ayidda
Khorvis

Unread post by Khorvis »

[[ This is fine. There are logs of Khorvis, during an Inquisition meeting, nudging a box full of scopes back underneath a table after gifting one to Shaelie. It was hinted that Mohan had a great many scopes. All is well in canon-land. ]]
Neevah

Unread post by Neevah »

((Okay! Sorry, not trying to be a downer :) *leaves cookies!*))
Bloodscream
Lost

The message scrolled across the display that filled his vision: "Assembly complete on project: Khorvis"

Bloodscream was cruising through Nagrand on his motorcycle, he pulled over and hopped off, the bike vanishing with a small white flash and a soft popping sound.

"Matrix stored successfully" flashed the message.

Bloodscream looked around and activated his ripper. He knew it was already calibrated for home.
Moments later back in his lab, he busied himself verifying the integrity of every wire, every circuit, this was some of his best work he considered. The entire system required very little power and thermal converters would keep it powered as long as Khorvis stayed alive.

He ran the simulation again, the damage to Khorvis' face would be covered by a plate made from adamantine reinforced elementium. It had taken a hell of a fire to melt down the scale he had taken from Deathwing but that metal had proved useful on several occasions now.

The crystals inside hummed softly when power was applied and resonance analysis showed promising results.

"JEEVES!" Bloodscream shouted at the empty room.

There was a soft pop and a bluish white flash and Jeeves appeared.

"Yes Boss?" He asked in his friendliest monotone drone.

"Send an access package to Khorvis and update the defenses so nothing shoots him when he gets here... I'll be in the lounge staring into the Nether with a good bottle."

Jeeves floated off to do as ordered. From a shelf he took a small box with a single red button on it. The side of the box bore a plaque that read "Bloodscream's Lab". He took the box and floated over a few feet to where a Moll-E bot was hanging out. The Moll-E bot opened wide it's metal maw and Jeeves dropped the box into it with the instructions: " Send to High Inquisitor Khorvis."

The Moll-E bot took but a second to digest the box with it's trans-dimensional belly and send it off to the wondrous land of the Postal System.

Khorvis would get the box, press the button and find himself in the lab, simple as pie.

"Hmmm and bring pie..." Bloodscream called back to Jeeves as he grabbed a bottle of Rumsey Black Label and headed off to the lounge to stare out into the Twisting Nether.
Khorvis

Unread post by Khorvis »

Khorvis sat in the chair of the High Inquisitor. Over the past year it slowly had begun to wear to the proper shape of his bottomcheeks, but even still the hard walnut seat was a constant, uncomfortable reminder of the position. He stared at the object resting squarely at the center of the writing desk, unwrapped and awaiting his decision.

The red buttoned box stared sightlessly back at the orc. The bronzed plaque harbored the intent.

"So it does come down to it again. Once more under the knife... Phaw!" Khorvis growled with distaste. Years and campaigns of virility and strength had spoiled the old warrior with the bald assumption that injury, fatigue, and age were a trial reserved for the cowardly - or at least the unlucky. No, not for he would this fate await. A clean death. A soldier's honorable sleep.

Fate had been a cruel mistress. Khorvis swiped at an aged portrait of Doomhammer, framed and gilded at the edge of his desk. He, of course, missed. The lack of depth perception, as well as a mutinous ghost of a right hand, sent the orc off balance and stumbling towards a glassed cabinet.

Slamming into the locker, he roared and smashed his left fist through the delicate panes. Out came in his grasp a bottle so dusty and aged that the label had completely rotted away. The only mark remaining upon the smoked green glass was the waxen seal bearing the sigil of House Burnside. Uncorking the flagon, Khorvis let the blood of his cut knuckles intermingle with the ancient brandy of idyllic Stormwind in his throat.

"Another trip to the butcher?! Hah! Let us see what fat the venerable Bloodscream might cut from this hog!" Khorvis pat his paunch and marched back over to his desk. Raising the bottle of Burnside brandy, he slammed the base down upon the red button with a fury.

Arches of trans-dimensional lightning began to whip from crevices and cracks in the room. The box itself unfolded upon the desk of the Inquisition and extended minuscule antennae that twirled and oscillated to the perturbations of the energy fields. At once, the spires grew rigid and thrust outwards some few feet, narrowly missing the flesh of the intended recipient. The lightning arches curved into a perfect sphere some ten feet in diameter with a "thwack!-hmmmm" Khorvis darted glares to and fro in mild panic, then steeled himself to the inevitable.

The sphere shrunk with the rapid acceleration of a collapsing supernova, then winked entirely out of existence.

-----

The High Inquisitor emerged from a chaos of dissipating nether-gies into the foyer of Bloodscream's laboratory. The instantaneous travel had left minimal scarring on the orc's memory, only enough to force a stare of surprise at the bottle of prized brandy in his green fist. Slowly, the situation returned in familiarity, though not for the odd surroundings.

Queer devices of all manner of alloy oscillated and whirred in niches and alcoves. Though their purposes were shrouded in mystery, the expert degree of craftmanship was immediately evident. Gone were the usual grinding of axle on gear. This machinery hummed with the very exactness of the Makers.

Khorvis strode down the hall, pausing from time to time to marvel at objects defying the casual notions of normalcy. He noted the hidden turrets, their focusing irises erect and inert. Were they to become active, this narrow passage would quickly become a deathtrap of fire and annihilation.

Coming to a door, he stopped. Plain as it was, the warding beheld no instruction for entry. Barking a gruff "harumph," Khorvis extended his stump and pressed it against the smooth metal. Immediately it slid upwards and the orc stepped into the lounge.
Bloodscream
Lost

((Son of a.... took too long writing...logged me out...lost my entire post...CURSE YOU ABRIC! I'll add to this tonight...))
Bloodscream
Lost

"High Inquisitor Khorvis has arrived" the female voice announced when Khorvis appeared.

Bloodscream rose from his chair. A window immediately opened in his goggle's viewer and he saw Khorvis, on the induction pad, bottle in hand.

He knew the layout would draw him to the lounge. Khorvis followed the wide hall, studying the many strange devices that lined the walls and alcoves.

Bloodscream was pleased to notice Jeeves had not failed to add Khorvis' matrix to the guest list.

Khorvis paused a moment and leaned into the barrel of a sentry gun, admiring it's craftsmanship.

Bloodscream was very careful about not forgetting his security protocols after "The Malstrom Incident"; which culminated in six months of repairs after a glitch caused one of the guns not to receive a security update, and open fire on the shaman upon his arrival.

It should be noted that the repairs had not come from damage the guns had inflicted for they were disabled shortly after malfunctioning.

No it had been the resulting "Holy War" the Troll declared against "Wirey Juju" that had raged for a good twenty minutes before Bloodscream came home. Many innocent machines had died that day.

Sufficed to say, Bloodscream was far more careful with his security systems now.

Khorvis arrived at the door and it opened to his wave, as he entered Bloodscream moved to greet him, Jeeves hovering behind with a tray of whiskey.

"High Inquisitor! Welcome to my new home, you are the first visitor to my new location, welcome! I see you have a bottle but Jeeves here has anything you might want to eat or drink, just ask.

"Why don't we speak a moment, that I can make sure you are well adjusted from your dimensional journey and frankly, show off the view, come! Please."

Bloodscream walked towards some stairs where lights where now turning on and what had been a serious looking black metallic wall, became a series of wide windows running floor to ceiling.

The lights in the lounge dimmed. The flashing lights of the Twisting Nether filled the room, purples, greens, flashes of orange and blue.

Outside, the vastness of the Twisting Nether yawned, the horizon filled with a panorama of oddities and effects.

It was not a sight Khorvis was completely unfamiliar with having glimpsed it here and there through some creature or anothers portals; But now it was right there, and it seemed to go on forever. Bloodscream appeared unphased as he stood against the window.

"That's Azeroth over there." he said pointing to a shimmering field of light in the distance.

"That's the temporal rift right there." He added, pointing to a storm of light far closer.

Orange lightning suddenly tore through the horizon sending shockwaves in every direction. Bloodscream ignored it and kept talking.

"So waddya think? Kinda neat ain't it?" he grinned a tusky grin.
Khorvis

Unread post by Khorvis »

[[ Here is a transciption of the log that began this exchange. Chronologically, it would have occurred before Blood's first post. ]]

Bloodscream waves at you.
Khorvis greets Bloodscream with the steady eye that remains to him.
[Bloodscream]: What the heck happened to you?
[Khorvis]: Bloodsworn. It do be well to see you still among our living and free from the Nether.
Khorvis shrugs his shoulders and waves the stump of his fist.
[Bloodscream]: Ya it's good to be walking around... feels weird, felt like just a few hours to me... and boom... years... but I came back with all my bits.
[Bloodscream]: You appear to be missing a few.
[Khorvis]: I do prefer to not speak of the trials that the Mandate did set upon my flesh. Let it be known that I still do keep all my wits and only wish to employ my arms in the service of our cause ... and that do be why I call on you, brother.
[Bloodscream]: Did ya speak with the shamen? Would you not rather regrow lost flesh?
[Bloodscream]: Course that said... we can do wondrous things...
[Bloodscream]: Titancraft is no small thing, we can replace pretty much anything with makertek. I've done eyes, ears, arms and legs... all with complete success.
[Khorvis]: The shaman are of no help. I do not understand their ramblings, but my old flesh do be gone forever. And beyond this, I do start to doubt the realm of the spirits and their good intentions. No, I do wish to make use of the raw skills of our Grim and their
[Khorvis]: workings of iron.
Khorvis removes his feedbag and displays the ruined left portion of his face.
[Khorvis]: You do say you craft eyes?
[Bloodscream]: Certainly, have in the past and I suspect my designs have improves since then.
[Bloodscream]: You looking to go realistic or obvious?
[Bloodscream]: Mind if I record this?
[Khorvis]: There do be rumors that it was your skill with the gemcutter that could craft the lensed scopes of Mohan the Warden's great weaponry.
[Khorvis]: By any means, aye.
Bloodscream kicks the vidgnome.
[Bloodscream]: and record at MY level this time you twit... you give me one more reel of feet and I'm making a toaster out of you!
[Khorvis]: And I do be looking to go 'useful.' As in, looks be damned, I do need to see to swing my blade!
[Bloodscream]: Eh, ya I reckon I made every rifle and scope Mohan ever brought to his eye.
[Bloodscream]: We can make you good as new.
Khorvis nods satisfactorily.
[Bloodscream]: Better in face.
[Bloodscream]: well relatively speaking.
[Bloodscream]: Did you want to keep the one good eye?
Khorvis reaches forward with his good hand and clutches the top of Bloodscream's neckguard. "You leave my bloody good eye alone. And NO. FEL! I do not want any more of that nether sucking fel-goo creeping around my decent thoughts!"
[Bloodscream]: Alright there easy big fella... we work around the good eye...was just a question...ill thought perhaps... sorry...I'm in engineering mode.
[Bloodscream]: As for fel... well... there ain't no warlock foolishness in my work.
[Bloodscream]: Nothing but good ol' Titan engineering.
Khorvis releases Bloodscream and settles his sky-golem burners. "Good. Dabu. We do need no repeat of last time. Only the raw materials of our decent earth, aye?"
[Khorvis]: What materials from me do you require, mech-smith?
[Bloodscream]: I make it all myself, from the smallest of wires to the largest of lenses... crafted by Orcish hands using secrets of the Titans... faith brother... faith.
[Bloodscream]: Well I reckon that's up to you really.
[Khorvis]: My knowledge of the gears do be limited to the simple schematics of goblins mad.
[Bloodscream]: Well we'll be skipping their lessons for this...unless you wanted an eye that explodes that is...
Bloodscream chuckles
Khorvis chuckles in turn, though his laugh is laden with sardonic ire.
[Bloodscream]: Hope you don't mind, I been scanning you since you held up your arm... kinda guessed where we were headed.
[Khorvis]: I do wish to see my enemy clearly, in his weakness, and the ...
[Khorvis]: Phaw, what else should I have expected.
[Bloodscream]: Did you want to see him in the regular way or did you want me to add a few...ya know... improvements?
[Khorvis]: Err .. ah, hrmpgh... describe this.
[Bloodscream]: Well for starters you should decide if you want my work to be obvious or if you want it to look as though nother ever happened when I'm done?
[Khorvis]: Fear! They must .. er, hmm.
Khorvis thinks of that distant chance of a mate and the unlikely event of Peace.
[Khorvis]: No, bah. Looks and taste have no place under the Mandate.
[Khorvis]: Utility do be the order of this day.
[Bloodscream]: No worries, me I'm vain... I'm too pretty for obvious replacements... that said.
[Bloodscream]: If it's obvious, I have more room.
[Khorvis]: Fine. Let them see me in the march. The enemy will fear my step and glare.
[Bloodscream]: Which means I can probably fit your eye with telescopic auto focusing spectrometers...
[Khorvis]: teleschnarfic orko fuckering sp... wha?
[Bloodscream]: Right...sorry... see farther...see in the dark...be unnafected by staring directly into bright lights and see things a thousand yards away as if you were right next to them...
[Bloodscream]: Kind like these...
Bloodscream taps his goggles.
[Khorvis]: You would make me into an eagle of the battlefield? No ... a raven. Aye, I would have this.
[Bloodscream]: Simple as a warlock says I... now the hand... we go with reinforced true iron casing, thorium cabling... you'll crush stone with it.
[Bloodscream]: I can have some prototypes together in a few days.
[Khorvis]: No. The hand do be the work of another. A smaller thing. Tiny even, but with boundless energy.
[Khorvis]: A Supplicant. Zelby. She does show some promise with the gear.
[Bloodscream]: Well then even easier, I can have an eye custom built by tomorrow.
[Bloodscream]: You know the catch?
Khorvis attempts to raise his left eyebrow, but the nerves fail to actuate the command.
[Bloodscream]: Patching into the optic and neural network of a living thing, is...no small task. I'm told the procedure can be quite... painful.
[Khorvis]: I respect your craft, Bloodsworn. I do this with knowledge of your past workings for our Grim. Do you have any doubts of my past with pain?
[Bloodscream]: None... you have to talk with Drinn... doubt there's anything I can do worse than that...
Khorvis lifts his furrowed brow in the levity of Bloodscream's comedy.
[Khorvis]: Bwahaha!
[Bloodscream]: and because you asked I shall use the lenses from Mohan's last scope for your eye...
[Khorvis]: I... I do be flattered by this gesture. And yet, do save one lens. A reaper, Shaelie, may come hunting for it. A shame it would be if she came away empty handed.
[Bloodscream]: Can I tell you a secret?
[Khorvis]: Hrm? Aye.
[Bloodscream]: I have like... a dozen or so of Mohans old scopes... some of his old guns... Chaindogs...Muatah... I have like... lots... I keep everything.
Khorvis looks surprised at first, and then chuckles. "Of course. If we did count the number of times we did lie face first in the mud with broken weaponry after assaulting the enemies of the Mandate..
[Bloodscream]: Weapons are made to be used... things break... that is life.
[Bloodscream]: Can I ask who did this to you? I'm guessing a fucking warlock...
[Khorvis]: While the machines of our felmancers did fail me in the end ... no.
[Bloodscream]: Don't mind me, I blame warlocks for everything...since they're all right bastards.
[Khorvis]: It was another. At Aerie Peak, I did lead two fists of Grim against the dwarves. It did be Sanctuary who stood against us. And before I put the killing blow to their bitch Commander, Julilee Liene, a Stormhammer...
[Khorvis]: A Stormhammer of the Wildhammer riders fell on our ranks and between my boots.
[Bloodscream]: Damn Sanctuary... at least when VIlmah was in charge I could talk sense into her...
Khorvis spits on the dusty earth.
[Bloodscream]: Well you live to fight another day... and by tomorrow... we'll get you an eye through which you shall see a great many foes for the last time... promise.
Khorvis offers a forearm, though left-handed, to Bloodscream.
Bloodscream takes it firmly.
[Khorvis]: Peace, brother. The Vaults do be open to you. And the Mandate at your back.
[Bloodscream]: I shall leave you on this brother and get to my lab... there is work to be done.
[Khorvis]: Mok'rah.
[Bloodscream]: Peace through annihilation brother.
Bloodscream salutes you with respect.
Khorvis nods and retreats through a gate of his own making.