Mumble Hosting Question

Public Out of Character Board.
Ashenfury
Lost

Mumble Hosting Question

Unread post by Ashenfury »

A couple of questions about hosting mumble:

1. Do you register the mumble server as a public network? If so, why?

2. Why have you setup the Grim mumble server to require certificates? I'm aware that they replace the server password but in what instance is this actually useful?

3. Do you have Bonjour Service Discovery enabled? If so, why?

4. Last question: I've issued the command below to set my SuperUser password and it takes just fine but when I attempt to connect as superuser it tells me incorrect password. Do either of you guys have an inkling of an idea of what I did wrong there?

EDIT: I did 'register' my user before attempting to connect as superuser
/usr/sbin/murmurd -ini /etc/mumble-server.ini -supw SUPERSECRETPASSWORD
Grainger

Re: Mumble Hosting Question

Unread post by Grainger »

Pincus will know the murmurd details far better than me, but you didn't say which distro you're using it on and it could make a difference. Ubuntu doesn't like using root for anything (and its effectively disabled on the grim server). Pincus and I are set as sudo'ers though so we can run anything with root privs via sudo.
Ashenfury
Lost

I'm on the CentOS 6.3 build.
Pincus

Unread post by Pincus »

Quick answers:

1) I don't. I don't want asshats coming onto our server verbally teabagging us.
2) Certificates are easier to deal with. Simpler to revoke, and easier for a user...you don't have to remember what password you used. If you want to be a REAL bastard, you can set up a CA, and sign your user's certificates. No signed cert, no access!
3) No. Bonjour is really only for local networks. Doesn't work over the Internet. It's great if you are in a college LAN where they don't filter out the broadcast packets. Otherwise, useless.
4) Can't tell you. Actually, the "superuser" password is rarely used. You use it once and then promote your stnadard user to the @admin group. Read this
Ashenfury
Lost

Thank you very much.
Ashenfury
Lost

Aha! The reason I couldn't login as SuperUser was because Mumble doesn't accept special characters and all of my root passwords are loaded with them. Set it to plain text and it let me right in. Thanks again for the help!
Grainger

Unread post by Grainger »

Own up - you had ascii boobies in your password didn't you ;)
Lilliana

Unread post by Lilliana »

Hey friends how do I get into this Mumble thing?!
Yrzuli
Lost

Unread post by Yrzuli »

Ashenfury
Lost

If you mean hosting then you'll have to have a free dedicated IP address as well as a server/computer to host it on. If you mean joining the Grim Mumble then you will need to download the client and plug in the server information that Coyotl linked.