Lupinum's Trial of Sacrifice.

The stories and lives of the Grim. ((Roleplaying Stories and In Character Interactions))
Lupinum
Irredeemable

Lupinum's Trial of Sacrifice.

Unread post by Lupinum »

The soft gurgling of bubbles... The roaring crash of rapids, muffled... Heavy movement in the limbs, and a hard pull down... down...

A deep, guttural groan escaped the bony throat of Lupinum. A familiar series of... what, exactly? Feelings? Images? pervaded his meditation. He knew what they were of, of course. Forsaken, for the most part, can remember their last moments. It was unfortunate that his were of a choking, drowning horror. The Undead did not sleep, but this priest in particular had found it relaxing, during his early years, to meditate for hours, sitting still and attempting to clear his mind. It had worked for quite some time, his power of the Light grew as he did. Yet every night, a small, biting fear crept into his serene thought.

The Light had started to burn his dead nerves again, small streaks of holy flame crawled up his arms, into his skull. His hold over himself began to sway as it had not since he was newly awakened. Over time these golden tendrils burned darker and darker. The pain hurt no more, and these shadows that danced across his body were meditative in their own way. A dark rage colored his eyes and he rained down shadowflame upon his enemies and raised forests of rotting limbs-
No... this was just a dream. The Lupinum of the here and now shook his head and sat up. "Something must be done," he spoke these words out loud.

The Forsaken had spoken to Khorvis about his troubles some weeks ago, laying bare what his troubles were. "It's a constant, pervasive thought. I can see her sneering shimmering above the surface and feel her hands holding me down. At times it's bad enough that even though I no longer breath, I feel my chest knotting and my throat closes."
The dark armor of the Lasher scraped together roughly as he nodded. "The life of one human means little to The Mandate. But the calm mind of a priest, that's worth a thousand lives." Hot breath streamed from Khorvis' nostrils as he snorted, "You may give this woman's life as your Sacrifice. Bring a witness, I can't tell what the Fel pinkskin parts come from what."
At this Lupinum nodded, though he did not have much intention of bringing back parts at all, and offered, "I'll slay anything I find and plant our standard proudly among the dead."
Khorvis nodded, but said nothing as the Forsaken turned to leave his quarters.
Lupinum
Irredeemable

Re: Lupinum's Trial of Sacrifice.

Unread post by Lupinum »

Lupinum gathered what he had accrued over the last few days onto his threadbare blanket and gazed. The sketch of her face, what she looked like now... It caught his breath. She was still beautiful, for a murderous bitch. In small script underneath was her name. Vanessa MacDonnell. Lupinum coughed aloud, it was HIGH Priestess MacDonnell now. Great killer of the Scourge, and he was her first scalp. "But look how it ends up," he spoke out loud before pushing the sheets of paper into his book and setting it aside.

The Forsaken had prepared quickly, only the matter of a witness remained... He tapped his chin in thought as he left his meager room. I could bring one back...? A dying human... Lupinum ran through ideas, dismissing them all as he walked. A certain Troll followed his track with her eyes. Waiting until he was level with her spot, she strode out and blocked his path.
"WHERE are you going!" Lilliana practically yelled this and Lupinum stopped short, his momentum almost carrying him into his friend. However, this jolt was just what he needed and his grinned. "Undercity! And you're coming with!"
Lupinum grabbed her arm and tugged Lilliana along. Meeting with no resistance, they quickly made their way to the nearest flight master.

Lupinum spoke quickly as they flew, "Long story short: She and I were together back in Silverpine at the same church. I joined the help people, practicing mending and curing illness. Vanessa joined to gain power and control through the Church of the Holy Light. I caught Plague and became sick. She stayed and helped, or at least pretended, bring me back to health. There was a river near our homes and we would walk down to sit and talk. I was getting weaker and on one trip she stayed behind me and brained me with a stone. I fell into the water and she held me down until I died."
Lilliana was staring at her friend, the wind whistling as Lupinum finished the story. "Humans damned the river, and my body dried out until I was raised. I've been following the Light for the Horde ever since." The Troll was silent another moment, before speaking simply, "When do we get to kill her."
At this, Lupinum grinned evily. Their terminus was coming up shortly, from there it was a short ride to the Bulwark that guarded Tirisfal Glades.
Lupinum
Irredeemable

Unread post by Lupinum »

The heavy clouds from Tirisfal Glades were spreading eastward, threatening rains. The deed was finished.
MacDonnell lay dead, as well as her camp. Lilliana departed, few words exchanged between her and her priest friend. Lupinum stayed behind, seeking temporary shelter underneath a great pine tree. He unrolled his blank scrolls and sat, smoothing the paper against a book. The clasps of his inking set popped open with a satisfying click, the silver stoppers shined in the waning sunlight. Two decaying fingers pulled a small jar of ink, as black as the void and uncorked it.
The Forsaken closed his eyes and breathed in, the scent of blood in the grass wafted on the wind.
Inquisitor Khorvis. As per your approval, the High Priestess MacDonnell has been slain by my hand. A small Sacrifice, especially for two able bodied Grim, but my mind is now clearer than it has been... I think ever.
Lilliana and I rode south from the Bulwark, meeting minimal Alliance resistance along the way. Upon reaching the camp where my victim resided, we spotted few guards and several human peons. MacDonnell and a Draenei associate were conversing outside the guardhouse. A quick word between the two of us prepared us for combat. Lilly and I strode into the open, quickly casting tendrils of magic to hold my intended target fast while we dispatched the guards. The Draenei broke loose and attempted to run, Lilliana stopped him with a powerful word that stopped him dead with blood pooling out of his ears. MacDonnell stood in terror when I confronted her. I said nothing, just letting her stare me in the face - so she would remember me. And she did, her head shaking in disbelief as I coiled a rope of shadow magic around her throat. She fell silently, eyes pleading for mercy that will never come and smashed her head upon the ground. Lilliana finished the guards off and together we laid waste to the rest of the camp. We piled the bodies of the human dogs together and planted the guild standard. Enclosed, I have included skull fragments from the priestess.
I thank you, Khorvis. Never have I felt more at peace than I have under the Grim banner.

Khorvis

Unread post by Khorvis »

Khorvis skimmed the letter while chewing on thin talbuk bone from which hung the last few scraps of flesh. Nodding to himself, as this was only confirmation of Lupinum's words given during office hours, the orc tossed his meal over a shoulder and into a pile of similar refuse and reached for quill and incarnadine ink. He scribbled a quick note and sent it via his newly installed goblin vacuum tube system, which promised to deliver small parcels to any connected room in the Grim's Halls.*
Supplicant Lupinum,

You are to be commended for carrying the Mandate to even the smallest and most quaint corners of Azeroth. This trial does represent the most core meaning of the Inquisition. You have severed all ties with your past life and are born fresh as a Reaper, like a Razorfang Ravager bursting forth from its eggsac. Some do feel a void in their hearts after the final test. I do strongly encourage you to fill it with the Mandate. Seek your new rank when next the Commander unites our clan.

Dreadweaver Bloodstar
*52% chance of successful delivery