Irredeemable

Re: What I Cooked

Unread post by Canaie »

I approve!
Krinathalasa
Lost

Unread post by Krinathalasa »

I don't see Bacon here. Where is the bacon?
Pincus

Unread post by Pincus »

Krinathalasa wrote:I don't see Bacon here. Where is the bacon?
Here.
Khorvis

Khorvis in the kitchen

Unread post by Khorvis »

A few days ago, I began to cook my way through a book my fiancee gave to me a couple Christmases ago: Rustic Italian Food by Marc Vetri. He is chef here in Philadelphia and has a few restaurants that I enjoy. I don't claim to be any kind of amazing cook, but I do have a batch of recipes that family claim to be tasty, so I thought that it was time to dive into some more serious cooking.

My main goal is to get a handle on slow-cooked meats and homemade pastas, at least from this book. In this thread I will post some pictures of my exploits and hopefully other Grim can give me pointers on the various recipes. I know that not just a few of our members have a thing for cooking.
Khorvis

Re: Khorvis in the kitchen

Unread post by Khorvis »

Chicken Halves on the grill

This recipe called for me to take a whole chicken, brine it for a day, de-bone it, halve it, marinate it, then grill it. I've made tons of chicken on the grill, but never had much luck brining a bird, or Ever tried to debone it.

The brine: It's a simple Thyme brine recipe, using a cup of salt, half a cup of sugar, lots of thyme and rosemary, and water. Chicken sits in it for a day, easy stuff.

To debone, I put the bird on its back and cut through the breastbone going from butt to neck. Open up like a book, then cut down on either side of the backbone to remove the spine. Slip the knife under each of the rib sections and pull out the breastbone halves, ribs, and collarbone. I left the hips in because they were weird and I did not understand.

To marinate, I combined half a cup olive oil with freshly chopped thyme, rosemary, and garlic. Place in 1-gallon ziploc bag with the chicken and massage to coat. Refrigerate for 2 hours.

Grilling: Simple, just do each side on medium heat for about 12 minutes per side. To the results!

I know that a Barolo is not the wine to serve with grilled chicken, but it's all I had on hand. The chicken came out nice and juicy. I like to char the skin, as I don't eat that anyway. Served with a basmati rice pilaf with random spices and butter, garnished with pecorino romano and parsley.
Yrzuli
Lost

Re: Khorvis in the kitchen

Unread post by Yrzuli »

Khorvis wrote:I like to char the skin, as I don't eat that anyway.
Heathen.
Greebo

Re: The Grim Cooking Thread

Unread post by Greebo »

I drink red wine with everything. Mind you I prefer Amarone to Barolo.
Grisbault, Twice-Made.
The p, s, l, and t are silent, the screams are not.
Ayemae

Unread post by Ayemae »

My gods I can feel my gut expanding as I read this... Must... go.. cook.. right meow..
Be careful of the toes you step on today, for they may be attached to the butt you have to kiss tomorrow.
Faeriel

Unread post by Faeriel »

More recipes!

Allison and I make most of meals in our crockpot. Prep is usually pretty easy, and it ensures we have a good meal waiting at the end of a long day. Here's one I'm whipping up today that's pretty tasty.

Pakistani Brisket

Let's say, you like Brisket. But, you're not a big fan of Barbeque brisket, for, whatever reason. Let's also assume that things like ginger, garlic, and garam masala are things you want to put in your mouth. Then this brisket is for you! I've made this several times, and it always turns out delicious (well, except that time I used cayenne pepper instead of chili powder. That was a bit unpleasant). It's also super easy to make, since, if you don't feel like doing all that "spice combining" and "grinding into a paste" you can just throw all the spices on top of the brisket, scoop on the minced garlic and ginger and just forget about it.

Not that I'd ever be that lazy or anything.
Kharzak

Unread post by Kharzak »

Just made this yesterday. Holy batshit fatman!

I used hard Irish cheddar rather than Jack, and crème fraîche rather than sour cream.
Joy the Baker wrote:Spinach and Artichoke Grilled Cheese Sandwich
http://joythebaker.com/2013/04/spinach- ... -sandwich/
April 1, 2013

I’m not much for celebrating national food holidays. It seems like everyday there’s sooooomething.

We could get tipsy on National Mulled Wine Day… which, strangely, is celebrated on March 3rd. We could bust out a spoon for National Nutella Day. We could get our fingers greasy on National Fried Chicken Day. I’m actually thinking of changing my birthday to May 14th, National Buttermilk Biscuit Day.

Did you know that there’s a National German Chocolate Cake Day? Yea. That’s real. I hope you have your party hats ready.

I know what you’re thinking…when is National Grilled Cheese Day? Surely this perfect food must have a day of remembrance. I’ll tell you what… grilled cheese is so special that it has, not just a day, but an entire month of celebrating!

This is something I can get behind. All in!

Spinach and Artichoke Grilled Cheese Sandwich

I want this grilled cheese sandwich to taste exactly like Spinach Artichoke Dip smashed between two buttery slices of bread! Oh. Heck. Yes.

For the filling we’re going to combine canned artichoke hearts, spinach, garlic, a white cheddar or jack cheese, and salty parmesan cheese too!

I chopped the artichoke hearts into small bite-sized pieces. The spinach is sautéed with minced garlic until soft. The cheese is chopped. The sour cream is dolloped. We’ll throw in a bit of sriracha for flava’.

It’s time for the smash-bang.

Oooh cream cheese. It’s not as though we don’t have enough creamy and cheesy elements in this sandwich with the cheddar, Parmesan, and sour cream. Let’s throw in one more for good measure.

If it makes you feel any better, the cream cheese is acting as glue in this sandwich. Creamy, delicious glue.

I know you can just feel the crunch. I know you can.

Made for sharing.

You know what I’m about to say. I’m about to go on and on about how delicious this sandwich is. Of course I’m going to say that this sandwich tastes exactly like Spinach and Artichoke Dip smashed between cheesy bread. Of course I’m going to say that the buttery crisp bread pairs perfectly with the creamy,salty artichoke and spinach insides. Of course I’m going to claim that this is perfection. It is.

What I might not tell you is that I ate all four of these sandwich halves. I wanted you to think I had a lunch-mate, but… sadly noooo. Mine all mine. Yea…

Spinach and Artichoke Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

makes 2 sandwiches

splash of olive oil
1 small clove garlic
3 cups (or 3 big handfuls) baby spinach
4 slices bread (I used sourdough)
about 2 tablespoons cream cheese
1/3-1/2 cup grated or crumbled jack cheese
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup coarsely chopped canned artichoke hearts, drained
1 heaping tablespoon sour cream
1/2 to 1 teaspoon sriracha
large pinch of sea salt
1 tablespoon butter, for grilling the sandwiches

Sandwiches are very personal so the ingredients above are entirely flexible and up to you!

In a small skillet, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add spinach leaves and saute until wilted. This should happen quickly. Spinach just wilts in a hot pan. Remove spinach from skillet, place in a medium bowl and set aside.

Spread each slice of bread with a bit of cream cheese. You don’t need much. We’re using it as edible sandwich glue.

Squeeze or press as much liquid as possible out of the canned artichoke hearts using a paper towel.

To the bowl of sautéed spinach add, jack cheese, Parmesan cheese, chopped artichoke hearts, sour cream, sriracha, and salt. Stir until combined.

Top two slices of bread with spinach and artichoke filling. Make sandwiches with the two remaining slices of bread.

Heat butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add sandwiches and grill until each side is golden and the insides are melty warm. Serve immediately.
This is Wrath of Air Country! Select the superior air totem. Use Wrath of Air today!
opalexian

Unread post by opalexian »

DAMN YOU KHARZAK! We're broke right now too ;.; /drool

Also there's a reason that men love grills; however, you took it to a new level, Khorvis. Beautiful!

I was gonna try strombolis tonight, but we have andoulie sausage (I got it a week ago, shaddup.) Any thoughts on possibly 'cajuning' the sauce? (It's a tomato base for anyone not familiar.)

If they're pretty enough I might post a pic. My personal dishes usually arent terribly photogenic >_<
SURVEY SAYS: Sandwiches cut in 1/2 catty-corner taste 5 times better than those cut lengthwise!

FFXIV-Linji Zlykot, Queen of ALL THE THINGS
WoW (retired)-Opalexian, Killyzix, Yuolin, Sujibga, Hajae, Oxauun, Rasputine
Neevah

Recipe Share!

Unread post by Neevah »

Holy crap how'd I miss this thread?
Aureilya
Lost

Unread post by Aureilya »

Well speaking of cooking.. I made these for an office party last week:

Raspberry filled chocolate cupcakes. Used devils food cupcake mix, prepared according to package. After they cooled, cut out the center with a paring knife and filled with raspberry filling, then iced with cream cheese frosting. So good.