Light and Lightning

The stories and lives of the Grim. ((Roleplaying Stories and In Character Interactions))
Tecun Uman

Light and Lightning

Unread post by Tecun Uman »

*You turn at the sound of a snarl, and see an elderly Troll coming at you, foaming at the mouth, lightning crackling across his mail suit and a bony finger pointed at your chest*

"Noxtrael! NOXTRAEL YOU SAY!! Let me tell you about him!"

*Calming the old one down, you sit together and listen to his tale*

"It was during an assault on Theramore. With no more then then a dozen soldiers, and only part of us fully trained, we took advantage of our speed, guile and and relative invisibility, by approaching Theramore running across the water. Taken off guard, the defenders were scattered before us, but the Hand knew we should burn what we could and leave fast. If not, the actual size of our "army" would become known, the defence would recover their courage, and we would be swarmed over by superior numbers."

"As we began out withdrawal, a sudden gust of wind cleared the smoke of the burning buildings. Standing amidst a score of knights, flames reflecting in their shining armor, was the Highlord, Noxtrael..."

*Tecun takes a sip of his mead, and frowns*

"Screaming one of the most elaborate curses I have ever heard in my long life, an elf with a particular hatred for humans broke rank, and crashed into this wall of metal. We should have left him there , an -albeit fatal- lesson to respect the Hand's commands, but the instinct to heal is so great, that even Cristok himself turned round to rescue the berserking elf. But we were being led... By the time the elf was capable of coherant thoughts once more, we had entered Jaina's tower. And when we looked up..."

*Tecun shudders*

"The walls were lined with Knights of the Order, each of them starting the incantation to consecrate the tower's perimeter. Holy fire licking at our feet, they then jumped down like one giant fist of metal. Cristok yelled at us to get out to the gate, but blinded by the light and my senses overwhelmed sensing the wounds of us all, I instead ran towards the sea.Followed by a handful of knights, led by Noxtrael himself, I jumped up on the water's surface, certain of escape despite bleeding from several gashes in my mail. And indeed, confronted with the water, wearing all that heavy plate armor, most of the knights halted."

"Not however Noxtrael... Powerful strokes pushed him through the waves, faster then I had thought possible. I quickly set course for an island to ground my totems on,and waited. As he emerged from the waves I sent a bolt of lightning at the man, but it did not hurt him as much as it should have. My loss of blood was obviously taking it's toll."

*Tecun sighs*

"This loss of blood is my only excuse for what happened next. In a better shape then I was, but clearly exhausted by the chase, the man signaled for a pause. To face each other, Man to Troll, fully restored."

*A long pause*

" I should have taken my chances...Should have slain this "Highlord" right then and there or have died in the attempt... Instead, we sat down a distance away of each other, drank, took care of wounds, and patched up armor as best as we could. When we stood again, we were both as ready as we would ever be."

"Circling each other warily, I searched the man's face for emotion, but found none. It mattered not, I was angry enough for the both of us, and with a growl I raised my mace, as the paladin tried to force his blade past my shield. Lightning faced Light , mace crumpled plate and mail was torn many times, and I cannot be sure even now, what the outcome would have been."

"But I had been played for a fool... All at once, and impenetrable barrier went up around the Highlord. And from the sea emerged a second paladin, red faced anger , blasting me with all the power she could muster. Honor indeed.... I should know by now that the word of man stands for nothing. You would think I had learned of Human honor when the Echo Isles came under attack by Proudmoore's fleet, slaughtering men, women and whelps alike."

"The only reason I live to tell the tale, is my leap onto the sea surface. I don't think I ever leapt as far as that, not even in my prime"

*Tecun chuckles at the memory, a smile softening his weary features for a few seconds*

"I don't think the Highlord saw it coming either. When I looked back, there was surprise on his face, and then he started shouting at the female, no doubt blaming her for my escape."

*Tecun empties his tankard, and rises*

"Thank you for the mead, and heed this lesson. No matter how shiny their armor; No matter how flattering their words; No matter how sincere they look, a human cannot be trusted, EVER! There can be no peace, and for every one of them that claims so, know that at least dozen are busy sharpening their swords."

*muttered* "I only hope I can remember that myself next time"

*Shoulders slumped, back bent under the weight of his shield, Tecun walks out of the doorway and into the morningsun*

((Written for the character bios section of The Twisting Nether Gazette.OOC I got an apology for the duel interuption, heh.))
Last edited by Tecun Uman on Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.