A Rogue's Diary

The stories and lives of the Grim. ((Roleplaying Stories and In Character Interactions))
Syreenna
Irredeemable

Re: A Rogue's Diary

Unread post by Syreenna »

Orphyn and I captured Vionora Siane. There was a troll hunter with her that got in the way, but I took care of her and her beasts while Orphyn got hold of Siane. She’s in one of the cells under the barracks.

Orphyn torture questioned her last night. I wasn’t there for it. People think I like to fight because I like hurting people. I guess the two usually go together, but there’s not much fun in hurting someone who can’t fight back. It takes the thrill out of it. Besides, I would have had to go in that cell to do it.

He got some good information from her though. Sanctuary, Borrowed Time, and the Blackguard are planning to attack us in our garrison in a few days. Because we captured Siane? Was this just going to be a rescue mission? Or because we beat up their commander and two others at the Faire?

Let them come. The Grim garrison is well protected, and well populated with good fighters. We’ll slay them all. Finally.
Alts: Lirsha Deathwhistle & Ayidda
Syreenna
Irredeemable

Kanda left. She was the orc I took care of during Orphan’s Week once years ago. She heard what happened to the elf in the dungeon, and she said there’s no honor here anymore. Not just from that, but from lots of things happening lately. Maybe she went back to the orphanage to help with the little kids there. That’s what she was doing when I brought her out here.

I realized there’s an exception to not finding fun in hurting people who can’t fight back. It’s been years since I’ve seen him in person, but he haunts my thoughts these past few months. Since the Nightmare. When he almost got me again. When he got the wa

After this battle, if I make it through, I will hunt him again. I’ll hurt him. I’ll cut off his legs so he can’t run away. And I’ll cut off his hands so he can’t fight back. He’ll know what it is to be helpless. I’ll make him cry and beg, and then smother his head with a pillow. He’s Forsaken now, so he doesn’t need to breathe. But he should know what it feels like anyway. Then I’ll slice his flesh to ribbons, and throw each piece on the fire while he watches. And then I’ll throw all his limbs on the fire, and then his torso and head.

And if he has a new little prize now, I’ll do the kindest thing that can be done for her. I’ll kill her.
Syreenna
Irredeemable

I found Ber dead in the snow outside the garrison under some trees where he liked to play. It looks like a rylak attack. There were no tracks in the snow, no sign of spells or ranged ammo. I buried him near the herb garden.

We had a duel contest tonight. I went against Kex'ti in one of the later rounds. He always seems so sick, I don't know how he can fight so well. He won, against everyone, even Mal. I did beat Commander Stick-Up-Her-Butt though. That felt good.

The potato man sees the evil I knew all along was there. Everyone has been lying, or fooled.

Cobrak is not loyal to The Grim. He threatened to gut me once before, but I didn't really believe him then. He said it again tonight. This time, I believed him.

I'm leaving tomorrow to find Aleister. I don't know when I'll be back. Not until I have his head.
Lilliana

Unread post by Lilliana »

((
I did beat Commander Stick-Up-Her-Butt though. That felt good.
Love it ))
Syreenna
Irredeemable

Aleister is dead. I cut him apart and fed his pieces to the ill-tempered hydra hatchling Kex’ti gave me. Then I fed Aleister’s brains to the beast. I wonder how Kex’ti would feel about me using his gift to help torture people.

I didn’t kill his prize. Something in her eyes reminded me of me, or my twisted memories of me from back then. I let her go.

I didn’t enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I thought I would feel different after it was done. Happier, freer, stronger. But I don’t. Revenge is supposed to be sweet, but it really wasn’t all that much fun. I’m just glad the job is finally done. But now what?

Someone sent me a present for Hallow’s End. They didn’t sign their name, so I don’t know who it was. They dug up Ber and sewed him back together and reanimated him. He looks different, but he’s back now. Now he’s undead, like me. I’m not sure if he likes it. It’s him, but he’s different now. I guess dying changes worgs too.

So many people are gone or missing or just too busy since I've been back. I was only gone a few weeks. I haven’t seen Orphyn since I’ve been back. I wanted to tell him about it. I wonder if his heart failed him, or maybe he felt lost without someone to tell him what to do and wandered off. Sooner or later, everyone leaves. Some of them come back. I hope he does.
Syreenna
Irredeemable

The capture went smoothly. The prison is secure. Even the interrogation is seeing progress enough to have something to report to Khorvis. I delivered our recording of Skylah in her current condition to Lion’s Watch. Attacks on Vol’mar seem to have ceased, at least for now. I placed recording devices to spy on the Caravan. Alliance attempts at retaliation have been answered harshly.

And yet….

There is so much opportunity for it all to fall apart. Or worse.

The latest orders… I’m not sure I can do it, although I know I must. And in the end, I know I will….but…it’s not right. I have a few days. I will think of something.
Syreenna
Irredeemable

It’s nearly time.

I’m still not sure what my purpose is tonight. Surely the Alliance will not surrender. If they show up at all, it will be to fight. And what are Tesonii and I supposed to do in that case? Two Grims against however many Alliance sail into Bladefist Bay?

Tesonii seems confident. I hope that confidence is in her own ability to escape if things go bad, and not in me to ensure her safety. Does she even realize the risk she’s taking tonight?

I will save her if I can. She is Grim. But I will not risk my own survival over it. Or my freedom.

I will walk away from this. Still I can’t help but feel Khorvis is throwing us to the lions. Especially Tesonii.
Syreenna
Irredeemable

It’s been a month since I have picked up this book. A whole month since the night Tes and I went to face the Alliance. I know it was at Bladefist Bay on Khorvis’ orders, because I read it here.

I don’t remember all of what happened that night. Only that I tried to save Tes, and Kex’ti left me to the lions. I call him Maggot now, but I’m not sure how I came up with that name. Lilly said he also led the team that got me out of Stormwind.

My flesh still burns with Light from the sisters’ attacks. I’m sure if that Knight hadn’t stopped them, they would have continued to burn me until I was nothing more than a pile of ash.

Lilly tried to fix me. I can remember things now. Not everything, but I know I am Grim, and I know I must kill Alliance. And I remember some other things, mostly fragments of things. There are still things missing. Trying to review my memories feels like reading an old book missing pages, and some of the pages that are there have holes in them. I can close some of the holes if I concentrate hard enough. Reading this journal and some other documents I found in my hut has helped too.

Ashenvale calls to me. I have a feeling there might be answers there if I can find what I’m looking for. But I don’t know what I’m looking for. Maybe I’ll know it if I see it.

Kittens. Something I was going to do with kittens. I can’t remember.

And there’s something else. Something else was taken from me, something important. But I don’t know what.

What have they done to me?
Syreenna
Irredeemable

I know I should be grateful to Kex’ti. I really should. He was the lead in my escape, risking Sanctuary’s alliances in the process. He challenged Marrus to Mak’gora for my release, risking his own life. I don’t understand why he would go to such lengths for someone who has caused him nothing but trouble over the past year. I guess because he thinks I saved Tes, and because Tes told him I was not involved in Skylah’s torture. She lied to him, obviously; her way of trying to save me in return, I guess.

A knight and a gnome saved me from being burned to death by the sisters’ Light, and a purple elf has saved me from execution and imprisonment. What a strange feeling to be indebted to people I so despise.

I am grateful, especially to Kex’ti. But he makes me so angry! He acts like I, and The Grim, are a weapon to be pointed precisely at the targets he approves of, and no others or he’ll stop me. And yet, he’s not willing to help deal with those targets himself because of purple people policies. Still, I owe him, so I’ll keep his request in mind as I plan things, at least for a while.

I thought Lilly fixed my memory enough to fool people, but I still get questioned about it, and I’ve noticed some Grims giving me pitying looks now and then. Lupinum and Ul-Rezaj seem to know something is still not right. It’s usually not too hard to get by though. People use names a lot over the hearthstone, and I can then match names to voices. And most Grims wear tabards, so I can recognize them as Grim easily. Once I can match name to face to voice, it’s almost like something clicks together in my head.

Like that elf at the Cantina the other night. She seemed nice. I can feel a piece in my mind trying to slide into place. I worked on something with her recently. Something big, something important. I think she may be one of the shadows with me in that tower where we kept Skylah.

I followed the Caravan from Ashenvale to Darnassus a few days ago. There’s something there that may give me some answers I think. I’ll go searching out there again soon.

I sent Edwin Marrus his first present. There will be more. Why are kittens important? I don’t know, but I sent him one, along with a few sprigs of peacebloom. Peace through annihilation, you bastard.
Syreenna
Irredeemable

I sent Marrus another present for Winter Veil. Two cat crates, one with a live kitten, and the other with kitten pieces. Maybe he can put it back together, like a puzzle. Why kittens? I haven’t figured that out yet.

I went back to Ashenvale again. I found what I was looking for this time, but there were no answers for me there, only hostility and more threats. The card man said he offered to help me before. Maybe that’s why I thought he would help me now. Instead, he told me to get lost, or he’d trap me in an arcane prison and send a message to Marrus with my location. I guess I was right not to trust him before.

Lilly worked in my head some more. Now I have my own puzzle to solve. It’s like she uncovered pieces, but I have to put them together. But I don’t have all the pieces, and I don’t think I ever will. It’s confusing and disorienting and frustrating, and the process to uncover the pieces is as unpleasant as it was when the memories were removed. At least, I think it is.

I can see enough now to give Khorvis the information that he wants, or at least, enough so that he won’t notice there are holes in it. It was easy enough to get by during Office Hours last night. “Grim strong, Alliance weak. Peace through annihilation!” That seemed to make everyone happy enough. Who needs the truth when you have a surplus of confidence and a catchy motto?

Nobody wants to hear that even though the Alliance may seem soft at times, they are stronger than us, because they are more unified. The Grim cannot stand alone against the entire Coalition, but we have no one to stand with us. Sanctuary was never dependable, Borrowed Time can’t be trusted now, and even The Grim itself is more divided than it should be.

Maybe we can build some relationships from the contacts we made at the Winter Veil party the other night. I have a feeling Lilly is already working on that. Possibly in more ways than one!
Syreenna
Irredeemable

News has spread that Tes died in a battle with that dragon.

I saved her from the Alliance. Now she’s gone anyway.

What was the point of it all?
Syreenna
Irredeemable

I went with Lilly to Felwood yesterday. She didn’t say why, but we soon ran into the cardman and a worgen I recognized from the night I followed the Caravan from Ashenvale to some elf town in northern Darkshore.

Apparently it was just supposed to be a talk, so I left my blades in their sheaths and stayed quiet. Lilly could do the talking, and I’d just be there for show and for backup in case it was a trap. It’s strange, how I suspect so much of being a trap since I’ve been freed. I never used to be that paranoid. At least, I don’t think I was. I can’t remember for sure.

Something happened. I didn’t see who started it, but suddenly, Lilly was directing shadows, Tuuroto was casting spells, and the worgen had turned into a bear. So I drew my blades and joined in. We felled the bear and paused, giving the cardman a chance to back off. He did. He stopped attacking us with spells, and picked up the attack with his words. He really doesn’t like me. I’m not sure why. I never did anything to him. After the worgen bear recovered, one of them let it slip that they didn’t want us to go to a village up north. Once he made it clear, through his threats and insults, that he didn’t want to talk to us, we headed that direction in search of this village he didn’t want us to visit.

Several villagers were dead by the time the cardman and his dog caught up to us. There was a human female with them now too. The cardman wasn’t too happy about the state of things when he saw the blood and the bodies, and he made his feelings about that quite clear.

I once thought maybe he’s a nice guy, that he would help me escape, that his cards would hint of a future that held hope even for Forsaken. But after seeing him in Ashenvale a few weeks ago, I realized I was wrong. He was all nice and friendly to me while I was a harmless captive, but he certainly changed his tune now that I’m free. Was he just afraid of me? Or was it all an act in that cell?

Lilly and I beat the human woman and the worgen down, of course, and some human rogue who showed up just after, but they’re just Alliance. The Draenei is the cardman, and there was some personal satisfaction in seeing him fall. After all the threats he spat at me, after he pretended to be my friend, it felt good to slice open his blue skin and watch the blood leak out. He saw me bound and helpless and did nothing but give hollow offerings of help. I enjoyed seeing him beaten and helpless, laying there on the walkway in puddles of his own blood. I hope my poisons got into his veins and caused him as much agony as the sisters had caused me. I hope he has to lay around helpless for a month like I did. And then I hope he dies.

He won’t be the last.
Syreenna
Irredeemable

The writing in this entry is at an odd slant and very uneven.

1/25/16

Fellin elves. I thought he was different.

If Khorvis was talking truth, he did try to protect us.

The elf failed us.

He let it happen.

Never trust an elf.

I should know that by now.

“For the greater good.”

Screw you, Naheal.
Syreenna
Irredeemable

Cessily has returned.

She was there through the whole meeting, watching us from under her hood. I didn’t even suspect it was her. Why would I? It’s been many years since the last time I saw her, and she kept her face covered.

Even when she stepped forward and pushed back her hood, I still didn’t recognize her. The chopped off ears looked familiar, and I had the feeling she was someone I didn’t like, but there were still holes in my memory. I had studied this journal when I got back from Eternal Aegis, and when she gave her name to Khorvis, I was able to link her with the earliest pages of this book.

Cessily Suntouch was once the bane of my existence, simply because she was a Grim rogue. It started in the days shortly after the portal opened to Outland, when the blood elves first joined the Horde and then The Grim.

It was my job to train the Grim rogues, mentor them, make them Grims, and keep them in line. I’m sure I wasn’t completely successful with all of them, but I failed so completely with this one that I was sentenced to a harsh punishment by a mad Mistress, the Grim’s leader at the time. Because of Cessily, I felt justified in my first crimes against a fellow Grim.

Now she's back. And Khorvis has assigned me an impossible task. Sometimes I can’t decide if I believe that orc has enormous faith in my abilities and dedication, or if he simply hates me.

Should I see this as a second chance to train a Grim rogue? Or as a horrible part of my past destined to be repeated?

People change, sometimes, in so many years. Maybe she’s learned to control her tongue since then. If not, well, with my task, I'll have the power to make her life as miserable as she once made mine.
Syreenna
Irredeemable

I haven’t seen Cessily since the Inquisition last week. Maybe she took her earless head and went back to wherever she’s been hiding all these years.

That new elf interviewed me last night for his second Trial. Baal-something. I guess he doesn’t have much confidence in finding Drinn. He asked the usual boring questions, so I gave him the usual boring answers. I should start making up more interesting answers. I’m sure the Inquisitors get bored with the same answers too. Like.... What does the Mandate mean to you? Do the opposite of what Sanctuary would do. Why did you join The Grim? I heard they had pies, but the orcs ate them all.

I’ve seen this particular elf question applicants during their interviews. He seems genuinely interested in them. But he’s an elf, so I’m sure it’s just an act, probably to make himself look better. I wonder if Khorvis really did give him ideas he could someday be a leader in The Grim.

Either way, he’s an elf. With pretty ears that I want. He said something about his eye for his last Trial. It reminded me of Cobrak, and we all know how that turned out. I guess I should ask him about that, make sure he doesn’t end up going down that same path. Not that I care if he succeeds in his Inquisition. He’s just an elf.