A Trial of Combat for Research: Meriette LeFey

The stories and lives of the Grim. ((Roleplaying Stories and In Character Interactions))
Meriette

A Trial of Combat for Research: Meriette LeFey

Unread post by Meriette »

Title:
An exploration into the use of bone extract from various alliance races as a nutritional additive

Author:
Meriette LeFey with editorial notes from Apothecary Lycanus of the Royal Apothecary Society

Author's Note:
Special thanks to the Royal Apothecary Society for graciously approving the temporary requisition of The Undercity Apothecarium as the laboratory for this important scientific work.

Preface/background:
Growing up as a meat sack in the town of Brill, we were extremely poor (Editors Note: replace "meat sack" with the word "human"; Meriette we've discussed this). Food was scarce, especially during the war. My mother would often make her signature cabbage and bone stew during those times using leftover remnants of animals we had eaten. This has led me to often wonder as I'm sure many of you readers have, what nutritional value might be found from the ground bones of the alliance races? (Editors Note: "The Alliance" should be capitalized. I realize they are your sworn enemy, but it's no excuse for sloppy punctuation!)

Abstract:
With this research paper I intend to fully explore that very question with the hope of discovering and integrating a new chapter of recipes to my best seller "Cadaverous Culinary Creations, Devious Delights for the Recently Deceased (3rd Ed)".

Methodology:
For this study, both qualitative and quantitative methods of observations were utilized during analysis. Extraction of samples was accomplished utilizing a thirteen inch tempered steel bone saw. A twin gear, single crank cast iron grinder was used to produce the bone powder after the intact samples were suitably studied.

The annual Grim Scalp Hunt provided the venue for this collection effort. Victims were first incapacitated, then marked prior to the extraction process using standard medium-size ear tags as it proved difficult to obtain a clean extraction of early samples with the victim fully conscious due to excessive screaming and thrashing about (Editors Note: change "victim" to "subject" and leave out the bit about the screaming, please).

Results:

Note: To maintain an even comparison, the left tibia and fibula along with the right humerus were extracted from each subject

Subject ID: 5972
Race: Human
Bone density T-score: -0.5
Observations: Normal density, average level of nutrient. Will utilize human samples as a baseline.

Subject ID: 5973 - Goldwÿnn
Race: Worgen
Bone density T-score: -0.8
Observations: Bone thickness appears enlarged as compared to a humans with a slightly higher density
Surprisingly odor free after the acidic wash removed the remaining traces of fur.
Laboratory results show a higher than average nutrient level.

Subject ID: 5974
Race: Gnome
Samples Taken:
Bone density T-score: -2.1
Observations: While the lower density allowed for easier grinding, the nutrient content was almost non-existent.

Subject ID: 5975
Race: Dwarf
Samples Taken:
Bone density T-score: 0.5
Observations: The density of the dwarven samples tested higher than any other. Despite this anomaly, lab results also showed the lowest nutrient level.

Subject ID: 5976
Race: Night Elf
Samples Taken:
Bone density T-score: -0.6
Observations: Average density but the highest nutrient result, almost twice that of the worgen.

Conclusion:
For each sample, it is clear the nutritional value is substantially higher when compared to other slightly less intelligent animals normally consumed by the living. Of particular note, the samples removed from Night Elf cadavers contained the highest factor although the smell and taste of the bone paste was quite off-putting. While additional experimentation will be needed to find ingredients to improve the base flavor, the results of this study have proven quite satisfactory and in line with initial expectations. As such, I am now fully confident in proceeding with work on the new edition to my recipe book.