Becoming Grim (Lirsha)

The stories and lives of the Grim. ((Roleplaying Stories and In Character Interactions))
Syreenna
Irredeemable

Becoming Grim (Lirsha)

Unread post by Syreenna »

Monday night

The Inquisition did not go quite as Lirsha imagined it would. She thought she would state her desire to become a Grim on her own, rather than a minion to another Grim, and then she’d be given a Trial.

Instead, her request was met with suspicion. Why didn’t she want to work for the Shadowblade anymore? Lirsha didn’t want to come out and say the reason, other than she felt it would be more honorable to work for the Mandate as a whole than to work for one particular Grim. Surely, it was no secret that her mistress wasn’t the most honorable among them.

Vague answers weren’t good enough for the High Inquisitor though. Khorvis pressed her, and when she stated she didn’t want to speak ill of an Irredeemable, he ordered the other Grim present to surround her so she couldn’t escape. But escape was not her plan, or she would have left long ago. Lirsha finally told Khorvis the reason she didn’t want to work for Syreena anymore. She accused the Shadowblade of remaining loyal to Sylvanas.

The backs of her knees were struck with a Supplicant’s staff, forcing her to kneel before Khorvis. Her wolves growled menacingly, but Lirsha held up a hand toward them, and they stayed. She also stayed where she was, on her knees, surrounded by a dozen Grim. The Forsaken among them chattered in their own guttural language. She didn’t know what they said, but she got the feeling it wasn’t good. She just made a serious accusation against an Irredeemable. She realized now that one could not do that without consequences.

Khorvis asked Meriette about some body parts. Then he hacked off part of Lirsha’s ponytail and gave it to Meriette, who stitched it onto a head she had. Then the Lasher announced that the minion Lirsha died that night, causing Lirsha’s heart to pound. But immediately after, he told her to get to her feet, and he called her a Supplicant. He also ordered everyone else to go along with the ruse that Lirsha was dead. Syreena was to know no differently.

What was the saying? Two can keep a secret, if one of them is dead. There were a dozen Grim here expected to keep that secret. Lirsha only now realized the danger she was in. If the Shadowblade found out what she’d done….

Khorvis assigned her the first task she must complete: steal Syreena’s journal and give it to him. Lying, sneaking and stealing… So much for more honorable service to The Grim. She would do as ordered though, certain future tasks would be more suitable to her.
Syreenna
Irredeemable

Re: Becoming Grim (Lirsha)

Friday afternoon

Lirsha tried to guess where Syreena might keep the journal she was tasked to retrieve. Her office was the only place that came to mind, and she knew the rogue kept everything locked up in there. She would need some lockpicks then, or one of those skeletal keys. Surely one of the Grim blacksmiths or engineers could make her such a key.

The only problem was, Lirsha was supposed to be dead. She wondered what the Shadowblade’s response had been when someone told her that one of her minions was dead, and if she believed Meriette's head with her own hair on it was actually hers. She'd been to the barber since then, trying to salvage a decent appearance with her hair in front hacked off the way it was. In any case, Lirsha couldn’t exactly go wandering around the guild base, looking for a smith or tinkerer. She could go to Orgrimmar, or any city really, and find someone to make her a key. But she wouldn’t be able to count on the quality, or secrecy, if she did that.

So she went to Dragonroost Port. She knew the Shadowblade thought highly of the people there, and Lirsha herself had been made welcome there when she was delivering a message once. After getting through the security checks at the gate, she was directed to the workshop, where she called from the doorway before entering.

"Yo!" A voice called from the back. "Whozat?"

"Lirsha Deathwhistle," she called back as she stepped into the shop. "The guard told me I might find what I'm looking for here."

"Uhhh... And who are ya lookin' for?" The voice asked, bare feet slapped the stone as a goblin wandered out. "The name's Rixxi."

"I'm looking for someone who can make a key," she said. And then, after a pause. "Or a lockpick good enough that someone without the skill could use."

"Well we might have someone who can pull that off... What kinda lock we talkin' about though?"

"I...am not sure," the orc admitted. "A desk, a closet, a chest maybe?"

Rixxi cocked a brow at that. "Uh huh... And stealth is necessary? Otherwise I’d recommend some seaforium."

"Stealth would be preferred," Lirsha confirmed with a nod.

"Alright well i'm the cobbler so unless ya want some new shoes I can't help ya. Lemme see if we got any experts around that can give ya the tools." He made the request on his communicator, naming two specific people.

"Thanks."

"What kinda lock we talkin' though? I've had to crack a few in a subtle way before."

"I'm not sure," she repeated. She thought a minute. "Probably a good one."

"Not your task huh? Just a fetch."

Lirsha scowled, not wanting to admit what she was really up to. "Something like that..."

"Well it might be a while before either of them show up but let's see if we can't find a workaround. Now uh... Ya want the lock in one piece when you're done yeah?

"If possible. Less likely to be detected that way."

"I got an old tool I used back in the old runnin' days I could let ya borrow but if the target sprang for any kinda enchantment? Ain't gonna cut it."

"What should I do if it's enchanted?"

"Well that's another problem entirely."

"And it all depends on what spell they put on it."

Lirsha frowned, worried. "Then I'll hope there are no enchantments." She knew the Shadowblade didn't trust magic though, so chances were in her favor that there were no such enchantments.

"Anyway, ya can borrow it if you'd like." The goblin reached into a belt pouch and withdrew a tool. At first glance it looked like a screwdriver, be the tube-like extension that covered the metal piece was removed, revealing the thin 'blade' of the lockpick and segmented set of teeth on either side. "Just shove it in and press the button, it's gonna take a bit to find the right fit and uh... It makes a grinding noise that's a bit loud."

“How loud?” She asked with a frown.

"...Well it ain't a yell but think about half as loud as a lawnmower?"

“Lawnmower? Never mind, I’ll give it a try. How much?”

"I'll let ya borrow it at let's say... Five gold?"

Lirsha nodded, pulling a small pouch from her pocket, and counted out five coins. Then she took two more, knowing if she got caught, she might not be able to return the tool. She held her hand toward him to give him the seven coins. "A bit extra, for the speedy service," she explained.

"Appreciated.... Listen if stealth is TRULY necessary I’d say shut the door of whatever room you're doing this in and fold a pillow around the tool. This is basically a lockpicking tool for shmucks which means it'll do the job but not the fastest way and not the most convenient... So I’ve found a few workarounds. For best results I’d say have a distraction to get people far away from the spot."

"A pillow. I would not have thought of that. I am grateful for the tip." She reached to take the tool. "How do I make it work?"

"If the key teeth are one sided versus double sided just fold the teeth a this baby down on one side or the other. Slide it in until it stops and press the button. It'll unfold until it finds the right depth and width of the places it's supposed to fill. Noise comes from the engine and it's slow because.... delicate process. If it just did it full speed well... We've gone through a few locks that way and ya say leaving no trace is important."

Lirsha nodded. "Got it. I'll get it back to you on Monday. Assuming I don't get caught."

"Assumin' yeah. If ya do ya got it from a guy named Deiselburn in Bilgewater...Mostly cause fuck that guy."

"Deiselburn. Right. Any other tips? I've never done anything like this before."

The goblin had been casual in mannerisms but the request was like flipping a switch. In the blink of an eye he had moved from the floor to a workbench to stand at eye level with the orc.

"Alright I don't need details but you're up to some fuckery, likely against a friend or at least an ally. Otherwise ya wouldn't give a damn about the state of the lock. So if you're in trouble my advice is to let the situation cool down a bit. If someone has pissed you off they're expecting you to make a move and fast so if you can afford to? Let the heat die down enough for them to find something else to focus on THEN make your move. Day of, learn the guard rotation and execute the action about... 30 minutes to an hour before the shift changes. They'll be bored and tired by then, less attentive.

"Most importantly,” he continued, “stay the same. Don't chatter cause yer nervous. Don't seal up if the guards expect at least a hello when you pass by. Far as you're concerned you're doing nothing wrong and that has to be communicated in how you move. If YOU believe it, they'll believe it."

Lirsha blinked, then stared at the goblin. He was quick! She listened very attentively. As if her life depended on it, which it probably did. "I'm not nervous," she lied. She was not a good liar.

"I've seen better acting out of a possum I ran over! Tell me is what you're trying to get into important? REAL important or are ya fucking with someone. If it's the latter, doesn't matter. If it's the former it's more than just skill and combat, it's finesse. HEY! What are you doing here?"

Lirsha blinked again, looking around to see who was here. "What..?"

"...I'm a guard inky and I wanna know what you're doing here. Convince me you belong." The goblin closed his eyes for a few moments, when they opened, his eyes were blanked, his lips were pursed and his brow jutted. The perfect picture of a bored, dumb guardsmen. "Hey! What're you doing here?"

"Oh...ummm...." Lirsha finally realized what he was doing. "I'm uhh, getting something for someone."

"Good, vague. Don't give them a name to latch onto later. Now tell me how do ya treat the guards normally."

"Most of the guards are new, so...." She shrugged. "I don't treat them any particular way yet."

"Alright so not mean but not nice. Just neutral, maybe annoyed. Let's go with a feeling, you're in a hurry, some schmuck is trying to bar the path and you do not have TIME for this bullshit, but you also don't quite want to hurt him... Yet." He pointed. "Gimme politely dismissive but you are on thin fucking ice."

She was horrible at this pretending thing. But she tried. She stood taller and squared her shoulders. "I'm on an errand for the boss. You don't want to be the reason for delay, so get back to your post."

"Bit too much. Last thing anyone wants to do is be told how to do their job. Plus ya just dropped a name for them to investigate later. But ya told 'em you're in a hurry, and I believe it. Lower your shoulders a bit, slight hang. You're not looking for a fight you're just tired and done."

Lirsha frowned, but nodded. She let her shoulders sag a bit and tried to look tired. "Got it."

"Alright, better. Hey you! What are you doing here?"

"None of your business," Lirsha said, and pretended to go about her way.

"Alright now if the guard is scared of you, that's a good tactic. Let him think he narrowly avoided your attention while still doing his job. If the guard is a bit more forward or confident however. Just be short. Say something like you forgot something."

She nodded, but she looked worried. "This is more complicated than I thought."

"Yeah, acting is never as fun as they make it seem. People think it's just fun playing pretend but ya gotta fuck with your own head to give the view to others."

"Nobody should question me anyway. I have every reason to be in the room I'll be searching."

"Just in case I guess.... I mean admittedly I'm just jumpin' on this cause it sounds fun but I don't know who the hell you are really."

"And I appreciate your help," Lirsha said sincerely. She didn't explain who she was though, figuring it was safer if he didn't know who she was and who she worked for. "I should go. I still have a few things to do, to prepare for this."

"Well happy burglaring lady.Thanks for stoppin' by."

She grimaced at having her task labeled so bluntly, not at all happy about having to sink so low as thieving. "Thanks for your help." She tucked the lockpick tool under her belt and stepped out, heading back to the gate.

"My pleasure." Rixxi grinned as she left. "...I should probably be worried."
Syreenna
Irredeemable

Sunday night

Lirsha knew that Syreena would be on the battlegrounds this evening. It was the closest to a guarantee she had that the Shadowblade’s office would be empty. So when she turned from the main hall toward the office, she was surprised to see a Grim guard standing outside the door. She meant to turn around, but it was too late. He saw her.

“Hi, Lirsha,” the undead said with a friendly nod.

“Throm’ka, Rhok,” Lirsha answered. She tried to remember Rixxi’s advice, and tried to act normal. She had to get rid of him though, or he might hear the lockpick gadget. “The boss told me to tell you to go make sure the magic barriers are up on the front gate.”

“What?” Rhok questioned. “She told me to stay here and keep an eye on her office.

Lirsha shrugged. “I’m just delivering the orders. Up to you if you want to follow them or not.”

Rhok frowned, torn between the two orders. “Maybe she’s worried about another Yeti attack,” he mused. “But she told me not leave here for any reason.”

“Tell you what,” she said. “You go check the defenses, and I’ll keep an eye out here until you get back.” She hated this. Lying and deceit and thievery were not her thing.

Rhok agreed though. It was common knowledge that Lirsha and Ayidda worked directly for Syreena.

Lirsha waited until she was sure the guard was gone, then she went into the office and closed the door. She tried all the desk drawers and the couple storage chests that were in the room. The only thing not locked was a weapons chest. No journal in there.

With a pillow held over the automatic lockpicking device, just like she’d practiced several times earlier that day, she got to work on the desk. One by one, wincing at the noise, she unlocked and searched each drawer, then relocked it when she was done. She found half rotten ears, potions of every type, broken throwing knives, a stash of lockpicks, and finally, a journal.

Lirsha quickly untied the leather strap around the journal and flipped through it quickly, just to make sure it was actually Syreena’s journal. Satisfied after her quick glance, she swiftly relocked the drawer and left the office.

She considered waiting for Rhok’s return to continue the ruse of taking his place. Instead, she decided not to hang around where someone else might see her, so she left the area to return to the Shadowlands and back into hiding until tomorrow night.
Alts: Lirsha Deathwhistle & Ayidda
Syreenna
Irredeemable

The journal that Lirsha found is bound in smooth, clean leather, tied shut with a thong of the same leather. The book is in excellent condition, and seems to contain monthly entries of the past year.

She took some time to read it once she was safely away from the garrison with it.
January

Another year, another book. Here’s hoping I don’t get captured and put on trial for treason again by uppity orcs who support honorless traitors and cowards instead of the rightful Warchief.

N’zoth’s lair has been discovered in a city called Ny’alotha. The entrance seems to change between Uldum and the Vale in Pandara. The Commander is going to help Riplie lead our forced there, so I will stay behind and take care of things here. I am sending Lirsha and Ayidda to lend their support though.

I’m sure the Grim forces there will make quick work of that tentacle headed old god and be back home within the month.
February

I went to a Love is in the Air date auction just to make fun of everyone. There was some confusion over where my seat was though, and I found myself on the auction block, being bid on by a few different people.

An elf won the bid. His name is Ulnico. At least he was dead, with the frosty blue eyes of a death knight. We went on our outing a few days later. He took me to Goldshire and killed all the Alliance we found around the edges of town.

Then we had a picnic dinner of Silvermoon steak, Draenai calamari, and fried gnome toes, with coconut rum to wash it down. When I asked if I could taste his ears, he said yes, and I licked them all through the rest of the night.
March

Ulnico and I continue to see each other regularly. I haven’t told anyone about him. He’s my secret. We duel each other, and hunt together.

The other Grim are still fighting in Ny’alotha. They seem to be having a lot of trouble with that beast we first met in a tree in the Emerald Nightmare. We beat him just fine there. You’d think they’d be able to kill him again. How did he come back to life anyway? Maybe he was only a figment of our dreams in the Emerald Nightmare.
April

As the little towns around Azeroth celebrate spring with rabbits and chocolate eggs, Ulnico and I got the idea to breed rabbits to sell to the towns next spring.

We built a pen at his place in the Ghostlands. Then we released eight rabbits into it. They all got busy right away, so I expect lots of baby rabbits in a few weeks.
May

Khorvis is back. I saw him when I went to the stables on my way out to meet up with Ulnico. He was in the stall with the goats. He sat on a bale of hay with bottles of sulfuron slammers on another bale in front of him. One goat was passed out in a corner of the stall, and another held a bottle in its mouth, tilted up so she could drink it.

He was talking to the goats, calling one of them Sylvanas, one Gallywix, and one Awatu, and carrying on a conversation that sounded like political and military strategies. Then he started flirting with them, saying things like their fur do be as soft as a baby Tauren’s backside.

I did not say hi. I did not say anything. I did not stick around to see what would happen next. I just got Buzz and left quietly.
June

Our rabbits are multiplying! From the original eight rabbits, we now have 57 rabbits, all different varieties. Fuzzy ones, fluffy ones, brown ones, white ones, black ones, red ones, spotted ones, striped ones.

Ulnico and I were so taken with the cute little bunnies, and we had a talk about how much love the mommy and daddy rabbits must feel. We both agreed it was too bad we were undead and couldn’t have babies.

But we could adopt. Except I don’t know if it’s possible to adopt a Forsaken kid, so he wants an elf kid. I guess we could get a human kid and turn them into a Forsaken, but I don’t think they’d grow up then. I guess it has to be an elf baby. Maybe we could cut off its ears like they do to some puppies.
July

The House Season 3

What a joke. The waitress was there. Bor’ghul was there. And Gruk and Kirsune and a bunch of no names.

I went to the audience theater sometimes to watch.

The stupid waitress tried to do survival tactics in the wilderness with only one hand. Too bad Zulric stopped at just the one. It would be funny watching her try to do all that with no hands.

Bor’ghul hooked up with the other human girl there. Rylie. She couldn’t turn him down in his bright floral shorts.

Ellorian was in the audience one day. He jumped me as soon as I walked in, asking about how Ayidda was faring in Ny’alotha. I guess he was worried about his little sweetheart.. When I didn’t answer right away, he threatened me. So I told him she was dead. Too bad, so sad. He didn’t like that. It took three people to hold him back from killing me. It was quite amusing.

Ulnico and I broke up. He didn’t like my idea of cropping an elf baby’s ears. And I got tired of him fawning over all the baby rabbits. There are over a hundred now. He never wants to go murdering anymore. All he wants to do is play with the baby rabbits and talk about his elf baby with long ears.
August

Well, Saurfang the Betrayer challenged Sylvanas to a Mok’gora and lost horribly. I wonder if it ever crossed his mind that if he had just killed that elf in Darkshore when he was ordered to, that none of this would have ever happened. I guess he learned the hard way not to disobey the Warchief.

Then she told all the Horde gathered with Thrall, and who supported Saurfang, that they were nothing. Well, you can’t blame her. She was just challenged to the death by someone she should have been able to trust, who’d been working against her all this time! Why should she think anything of those people?

Then she left, probably feeling hurt and betrayed. I know how that feels. I followed her and we chatted for a while, and then she left, probably to find a way to give those people what they deserve.
September

It is the Grim’s 15th anniversary this month. For almost fifteen years, I have been Grim. I can’t imagine being anything else. At the meeting, we listed all the old Grim we could remember. We’ve lost so many good people over the last several years. I always hope some of them will return. And I also hope that some of them never return.

In celebration of our anniversary, we’ve had a new base built in Alterac. Instead of the ruins and tunnels, we now have a full garrison, complete with guards, barracks, an inn, some workshops. A much more fitting place for such an established guild.
October

Awatu has fallen. Yet the Grim as a whole will go on, as it always has.

The corruption we encountered when we battled G’huun so many months ago, took hold on him, and slowly took its toll. It finally overcame him. He collapsed at the last guild meeting, but not before he informed us that The Grim should be led by a council, as the Horde is now led, and then appointed me the task of forming such a council. After he collapsed, he was taken to Thunder Bluff for recuperation, as much as that will be possible for him.

The Dread Coven, as Khorvis has named us, is made up of myself, Khorvis, Riplie, Canaie, Feyde, and Zalanjo. Feyde and I will lead the efforts against the Alliance. Riplie and Canaie will lead against any other threats. And Khorvis and Zalanjo will deal with testing and training new Grim.

Zalanjo seems a bit crazy, but then, so do most trolls. Riplie and Canaie are quiet, but seem competent. Feyde has much experience fighting Alliance, so she should do well. And Khorvis, I have to admit, would do anything he believes is in the best interest of the Mandate, as much I still might distrust him.
November

Rumors are circulating that Sylvanas has freed all the scourge, kidnapped a bunch of leaders, and fled to the Maw. While I have received reports of scourge invading Icecrown and even places closer to home, I can’t believe the Dark Lady doesn’t have something bigger planned. We’ve handled scourge before. I’m sure she has a reason for doing what she did, if she did in fact release them all.

And the leaders she took? Alliance and Alliance supporters. Why should the Grim even care about them?
December

We went to the Shadowlands, presumably to fight whatever Sylvanas started there, or got involved in there. I’m not even sure why the Grim care what’s going on there, except that it might affect us someday when we die. Or affect those Grim who have already died.

I found an alchemist there, a plague doctor. He thinks I’m his apprentice. I joined the covenant he serves, and I’ll go along with the apprentice thing. Maybe I’ll learn something to improve my own plague.

Whatever the reason we’re there, at least it’s something new to explore, new enemies to fight, and the change has drawn more people to our ranks.

I wonder, as I write this last entry,

if someone were to find this journal,

and read it,

would they believe everything they read?

The last entry gave Lirsha pause. But this was the only journal she found in the Shadowblade's belongings, and she saw no other option than to hand it over to Khorvis as ordered.
Syreenna
Irredeemable

The journal was determined to be a fake when Lirsha handed it over to Khorvis and Riana. Still, Khorvis declared her Trial of Combat to be complete.

At the next Inquisition, Zalanjo was in charge and asked if she was ready to present her Trial of Sacrifice. She looked down at her Warsong tabard, remembering that other Supplicants had given up such pieces of cloth and it was accepted.

“I’ve been among the Grim a couple years now. Before that, I was a Warsong my whole life,” Lirsha said as she addressed Zalanjo. “I’ve seen others renounce their past as their Sacrifice. Would that be acceptable?”

“Hmm. Fo' oddahs dis had been fine because dey be brand new. New meat and foddah. But you? You be different,” the Inquisitor responded. “Ya be movin’ from underlin’ from de Boss Lady ta wantin’ ta be yer own.”

Lirsha stared for a moment. “What would ask of me then?”

“What would ya be doin’ if ya were in my shoes?” he countered. “I dun’ wear shoes doh.”

Lirsha couldn’t think of anything and shook her head.

“Ya see da spot I be in den. Ya flipped de script. Made tings all weird like. It be crazy!” He paused. “I accept ya sacrifice. Fo’ now. But I need ta be speakin’ wit odders, get dere take on dis and see if dis be enough.”

The orc nodded and stepped forward, removing her tabard and handing it to Zalanjo. “There’s more,” she said in a tight voice. She removed a few pieces of her armor to reveal a Warsong tatoo on one bicep. “Your knives are sharp?”

“I have sharp knives. Ya. But dis? I be tinkin’ one of the de duller knives maybe?” He cackled at her.

“Your choice, of course, Irredeemable,” she agreed nervously as she knelt in front of him.

“I can be cruel. But not dat cruel. I be usin’ me sharp knife,” he assured her. “What kindah shape ya be wantin’? If ya gonna get a scar, it might as well be lookin’ interestin’.”

“The symbol of The Grim,” Lirsha answered.

Zalanjo looked disappointed. “Dat be too simple. But fine den. Ya be wantin’ anything ta bite down on?”

Lirsha shook her head, fixing her stare on a point ahead as she braced herself.

“Good. Cause I got notin’ fo’ ya.” He took her arm in his hand and began to slice into her skin in several downward motions. “Probably ah good time ta mention I never dun anything like dis before. Normally de knife goes in dem and out real quick like. But dis? Dis be different.”

Lirsha barely heard him, concentrating on not moving, on not trying to pull away and looking like a coward. She hissed through her teeth at the pain, trying not to show weakness or scream. But finally, she could bear it no longer. Her mouth opened wide, and a scream escaped her, as loud as the Warsong were known for.

Zalanjo finished severing the tattood skin from her arm and adjusted the scar’s shape to look like a crude Grim symbol. “Huh. I guess dat not have been so bad.” He held the skin out to her. “What ya tink?”

She looked at it only briefly, then looked at her freely bleeding arm. “I think…I hope you’re better at stabbing than you are at skinning,” she gasped, still breathing hard from the pain of what she’d just endured.

“I assure ya. I be.” He rolled up the skin and tucked it away into one of his pouches. “I feel like wit dis. I considah ya Trial ah Sacrifice complete. Iffn it just been a tabard, I woulda wanted more. But dis. Dis be more. Ya trials be complete. Ya be yer own Grim now. Dun’ make us regret dis decision.”

Lirsha slowly rose to her feet and saluted him. “One more question…”

“One more answer.”

“Who will tell the Shadowblade I no longer work for her?”

Zalanjo grinned at the question. “I be lettin’ de Lasha handle dat.”