Mythic Report: Da Other Side

The stories and lives of the Grim. ((Roleplaying Stories and In Character Interactions))
Curwyn

Mythic Report: Da Other Side

Unread post by Curwyn »

Mythic Report 2. Intended For High Inquisitor Khorvis and General Dissemination Among “The Grim”

Like much involving the Fae, it is hard to classify “Da Other Side” as anything other than “an experience.”

I shared this experience with a full complement of Grim; the rogue Attikus, the death knight Trentril, the priest Zulanaa, and yourself, High Inquisitor.

The central narrative seemed to involve a power struggle between Bwomsandi, the Loa of Death, and what was heavily intimated to be a sort of primordial Death Loa whomst Bwonsamdi had replaced at some point in the distant past. The latter, by confession, has sided with the Jailer, and thus made himself our enemy. I will leave the many unanswered questions this power struggle entails to the philosophers and theologians.

There is little, in my mind, to test any group choosing to assist Bwonsamdi in his struggle outside of two instances. Unlike in my previous report on the Theatre, a detailed dissemination of the various threats leading up to the 'main events' is not necessary. This is hardly surprising, as both Fae and Loa are storytellers above all else, and guards in stories exist to demonstrate the strength of the hero - not as genuine foils. All that is truly needed is to be aware of one's footing (so as to not lose sight of the healer), and to be cautious during the larger battles with guards that make up the inner 'hub'.

Of note, we faced off with some form of incarnation of Hakkar, the Manastorms, a "Dealer" in the Oribos fashion, and the former Death Loa, Mueh'zala. Ostensibly the first three are dealt with as a form of 'debt collection.' All seemed perturbed by this arrangement.

"Hakkar" is barely worth mentioning in the report - simply watch one's positioning and be sure to space out the deaths of his Sons in such a way as to leave the group room to maneuever.

The Manastorms are a slightly more impressive force. I admit that as a warrior, with my own emphasis largely on the tangible, physical forms of combat, I was at something of a disadvantage here. Armor does nothing against Frostbolts, and Millicent in particular had some irritating method of perpetually getting past my shield. Those issues aside, the two are easily dealt with - simply ensure that Millhouse is denied his "power" (in the form of a straight-line beam from some arcane mechanism) by standing in the way and swapping when the pressure is too much, and make sure to defuse Millicent's "squirrel bombs" with all haste. As an entertaining, but in my opinion unnecessary additional tactic, each can be maneuvered into the other's line of fire at times.

The first true challenge came from dealing with Xy'exa. Her impressive array of arcane technologies make her a canny foe, and pinpoint timing is necessary to come through the fight intact. There are two particular tricks to watch out for, and both coexist in a sort of strange alchemy. She will lay traps that 'launch' one into the air directly under everyone. These must be initially avoided. She will then (and I write this with a deep sigh) 'mark' one or more of the group with a form of timed detonation that will hit everyone. These can quickly overwhelm the healer, so the 'mark' must utilize one of Xy'exa's traps a moment or two before the explosion to avoid damaging everyone else. If this can be executed well, Xy'exa poses little danger.

After the previous three, Mueh'zala must be dealt with. It is crucial to ensure that the inner 'ring' is cleared completely, as the entire area will be used extensively. The fight, in my estimation, puts the healer in the starring role - most of the damage done to Mueh'zala will be done by Bwonsamdi himself. The group is essentially providing him support, and most of that is simply done by staying alive until the appropriate times.
The fight is extremely positional - it is recommended to have at least one ranged damage dealer in the group. Mueh'zala is very adept at punishing anyone in melee range, not just the 'tank', and the fight itself can prove very long - having to 'rescue' slower meleers can overtax the healer. Most of Mueh'zala's moment-to-moment repertorire can, and indeed must, be avoided by watching his movements. There is, of course, some form of spell that will attach to party members and 'detonate' around them. These come fairly quickly, so positioning to assist the healer is necessary. Mueh'zala's "Shattered Reality" ability requires some mention, though it will likely be old hat soon enough. Once he begins to utilize it, everyone in the group must exit through a portal that Bwonsamdi opens or face immediate extermination. Several 'shades' of Mueh'zala will appear near some of the doorways - these must be dealt with to empower Bwonsamdi to do any meaningful damage to Mueh'zala.
Last edited by Curwyn on Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Khorvis

Re: Mythic Report: Da Other Side

Unread post by Khorvis »

Reading over the second report, Khorvis set down his warmed mug of eggnog, spiked with non-GMO (goblin-modified organism) Mulgore Firewater, and adjusted his eldritch oculus. The writings of Supplicant Curwyn were both verbose and penned in a dry matter-of-factness that convinced the orc of their validity while at the same time confounding his concentration. Albeit the eggnog had its hand in the soporific effect of the report, Bloodstar fought valiantly to reign in his wandering thoughts and focus upon the stratagems of Bwonsamdi.

The hand of the High Inquisitor grew more steady as he launched into a response to the Forsaken warrior, firm in its intent to guide the Supplicant towards a proper tabard:
Supplicant Curwyn,

Your forays into the dungeons of the Shadowlands do be paving the roads for future Grim to claim loot and glory. Take pride in this Trial, and continue to take stock of the foes that this land of death would throw against us.

While I do savor the detail in which you eviscerate these gatekeepers, remember the second half of your charge and task. You did be ordered to vanguard members of the Grim. In doing so, you would and will likely bear witness to their skill in battle, and their failings.

These feats do interest me greatly, particularly the latter, for the Mandate does have little use for the weak or infirm. I do expect in future reports to read of your comrades and how well or poorly they fared.

Peace Through Annihilation,
Bloodstar
The letter is stained with eggnog and a paste of Stormshroom.