A Challenge for Theros Sunhallow

The stories and lives of the Grim. ((Roleplaying Stories and In Character Interactions))
Syreenna
Irredeemable

A Challenge for Theros Sunhallow

Unread post by Syreenna »

In her office, the Shadowblade sat going through some mail and other paperwork. Ber, her undead worg, and Rabble, a venomous mini-hydra runt, wrestled in front of her desk. Syreena mumbled something at them as she opened a letter from Dragonroost.

Her brow furrowed, and her patchwork stitched face was drawn down into a frown. "You foolish orc," she said to the paper. "You're too old, too out of shape, to fight this war. It's not the one-way trip we all thought it would be, but...it might be for you." She sighed, tucking the letter into a hidden pocket in her armor, muttering something about orcs and their desire for glorious deaths.

Then she came across a page of her own notes on the desk, a to-do list of sorts. She muttered something under her breath again, something comparing Khorvis to a ball of slime from the bottom of a stagnant pond. She dug among the papers until she found another letter, and reached for her hearthstone.

"Supplicant Elf...." she started into the hearthstone. What was his name again? Of all the Supplicants Khorvis could give to her, of course it would be an elf. Well, at least this one seemed polite, unlike that other one who recently joined. She looked at the bottom of the letter, and spoke again. "Theros, report to my office in the guild hall."

Theros reached for his stone as Syreenna's voice chirped. "It would be a pleasure to, my lady. I'll arrange a flight back to Oribos at once."

Some time later the ranger appeared at the threshold of Syreenna's office. "Sorry for the tardiness."

The little rogue narrowed her eyes suspiciously at her hearthstone as the overly polite reply sounded from it. What was with this elf?

When he appeared in her doorway, she continued reading the paper in her hand. Ber and Rabble, however, hurried over to him to sniff his boots and legs. Only when she finished did Syreena set the letter aside and give her attention to Theros.

"Come in," she said in a harshly raspy voice after looking him up and down. She motioned to a chair across her desk, and picked up a letter she referenced earlier. Looking at it again, she read, "Theros Sunhallow. Why do so many of you pink elves have 'sun' in your name?"

Theros stepped into the room and patted both pets upon their heads, causing them to wriggle in excitement and then snap at each other in jealousy. He arched a wispy brow at her question.

"If I had to guess, it's an artifact from when my ancestors were exiled from Kalimdor. When they established Quel'Thalas, my ancestors made it a point to be culturally different from where they came from. Naturally surnames that venerated the moon and stars would be changed to honor their celestial opposite the sun. But I doubt the development of my people's culture is why you called me here."

Every word was scrutinized for any mockery or snobbiness. When she found none, she motioned again to the chair.

"Stop towering over me," she said as she glanced over his letter once more before tossing it aside on her desk. "I missed most of your interview the other night. I was busy trying to convince another elf why he should not act like himself." She scowled at the thought of that particular elf wandering these halls. At least she didn't get that one as her Supplicant. "Tell me what was discussed during it. Tell me about yourself."

Theros slowly took a seat, his armor clanking as it knocked against the chair. "I am a retired ranger-captain. Spent most of my career fighting the Scourge, Amani, and Alliance. I participated in both troll uprisings the Zul'jin led one and the Zandalari led one. I spent much of the Fourth War hunting Kul Tirans in retribution for the crimes Jaina Proudmore committed against the Sunreavers in Dalaran."

The elf leaned back into the chair, his armor knocking against the wood once more. "But please, if you wish to know anything else please ask. I am anxious to aid the Grim."

Again, she seemed to study him a moment. Her gaze finally wandered over his ears before she looked back at him. "And how can you aid the Grim?"

"I like to think I'm a good shot. I'm professionally trained as a marksman and tracker. Beyond that I know how to skin and prepare a verity of animals for food. Meaning I can supply the Grim with meat and animal hides."

"Speaking of animals, don't you bow and arrow types usually have a pet for a hunting companion?" Syreena asked.

"That is the stereotype yes. As a ranger I've been trained to rely upon my own abilities to make the kill. However I have befriended one of the runestags of Ardenweald. I call him Oberon and I usually bring him along when I venture out into the Shadowlands."

"One of those fancy things with the curly antlers and colorful swirls on them?" she asked with a raised brow. Personally, she thought they were pretty, but she wouldn't say so. "They seem very fitting for the fairies that live there. Or elves."

Theros gave a slight chuckle. "Indeed. I'd be lying if I said I didn't find his breed to be regal and majestic. There's an eerie sereneness about them."

He glanced across the desk. "I trust pledging aid to these covenants isn't going to be in conflict with the Grim. We are here in the Shadowlands to lend them aid after all."

"As long as you don't let it become in conflict with the Grim," she confirmed. "We are here to learn about them, to take what we can from the lands, in both resources and knowledge, and if we aid them along the way, so be it."

She considered a moment. "Have your fancy fairy deer, that's fine. But I once saw a more vicious animal, in the colors of the Grim even, that I challenge you to tame. Have you ever been to Argus?"

"I spent some time there when the Horde pushed the Legion back off Azeroth." Theros' curiosity grew. "I assume you want me to hunt this beast down and tame it for the Grim?"

"Yes. It's red with black markings, and spikes on its back and cheeks. They must be challenging to tame. I've never seen one by a hunter's side. It's some kind of cat. A panther maybe."

"A panthara? I am familiar with the breed."

Syreena shrugged. "I didn't ask it's name. Of course, kill any Alliance you see out there while you're there. And then I want to hear all about this adventure and how you tame the cat. If you can tame it."

Theros stood up and bowed politely. "I acquiesce to your request my lady. Shall I set out at once?"

She nodded, eyeing him oddly again, then lifted a hand to gesture to the door.

Theros turned and headed out the door.
Alts: Lirsha Deathwhistle & Ayidda
Theros Sunhollow

Re: A Challenge for Theros Sunhallow

Unread post by Theros Sunhollow »

The Ballad of Broken Sky and Ashen Earth

Theros stepped off the lightforged platform and into the ruins of Mac'Aree. Ghosts and demonic echoes clashed in and around the ancient seat of the eredar civilization.

The elf had spent many weeks here fighting alongside the Alliance and his Horde allies before the final push against Antorus. Back then he didn't have the luxury to take in the dessicated beauty around him. Mac'Aree was called the Jewel of Argus.

The whole planet had suffered under the machinations of Sargerus, but what was left of the capital city was breathtaking: A mausoleum of reddish violets, burnt oranges, and golden fields of grass amongst towering pillars of alabaster marble. Life still clung to this chunk of Argus.

A bleating call echoed across the broken purple hills and brought the ranger's wandering mind to focus. He was here to hunt. The elf sought a species native to Argus, a panthara. But to catch such a predator required the right bait.

Which brought Theros to Mac'Aree in the first place. The fields of grass and clean water allowed herds of talbuk to flourish while elsewhere on the planet the species struggled to survive. If he was going to tame a panthara for the Grim he would need a haunch from one of these grazers.

Talbuk weren't unusual to the hunter, until the Legion's return to Azeroth he had assumed they were a species native to Outland. Apparently the draenei had a habit of introducing new species to alien environments.

Theros had done well to avoid any vestiges of the Legion that remained in the city. He now stalked a herd of talbuk just south of the great amphitheatre. A fatted doe or one of the alpha bucks would do nicely to entice a panthara into his trap.

As the herd grazed one of the bucks stood out. He was larger than most of the other males and had a pair of horns that bowed out and curled in at the end to make a weird B-shape almost. His pelt was silver with dark keratine plates growing along his back and haunches.

This buck was older than the young ones in charge of the herd. He would be easy to separate out and take down. Theros got to work setting up a trap to scatter the animals and claim his quarry.

An hour or so had passed since Theros had singled out his kill. The herd had moved down to the largest watering hole, the does and their calves had just started drinking when theros lined up his first shot. Attacked to the end of his arrow was a small explosive of goblin make. The elf pulled tight and let the arrow go. The projectile whistled through the air before thudding in the grass between the old buck and most of the herd. A second later the explosive went off. Sparks followed by several loud popping sounds scattered the herd.

Just as Theros had hoped the old buck was isolated as the rest of his herd ran towards the hills. Theros knocked another arrow and sighted the buck. A thrung and whistle later the buck was struck in the heart and fell over dead. The elf moved quickly down to his kill and set to work collecting the parts he would need.

Another hour later he had finished butchering the buck. He left the remains for what scavengers would be around eventually.

"Step one is done.. now to catch a cat." The elf washed off the blood and gore in the watering hole and headed back to the lightforged translocator.

Thirty minutes later the elf touched down in the ashen wastes of Krokuun. It was here that his true prey lived. Deep in the Grove of Naroua. It wouldn't be the only panthara out there and his pack smelled of fresh meat.

The grove was all that remained of a swamp or wetland. Soupy muck passed for water and the petrified trunks of ancient trees were the only clues left to tell how lush this part of Argus once was. The utter devastation of nature pained Theros. As an elf and more so because of his training as a ranger Theros had a deep reverence for the natural world.

The elf topped an only hill to find the breed of panthara he needed. A black and red, the colors of the group he planned to join.
Quietly he laid out an ice trap and placed the haunch inside. The elf quietly hid in the shadows and waited for the wind to carry the scent of food to the cat.

As soon as the wind picked up the scent the cat was on the hunt. The panthara half starved and hungry fell quickly into his trap. Encased in a block of magical ice the panthara could not run as the hunter stalked up to him.

Theros got to work befriending the hungry animal.

"I think, Grimfang is a good name. How do you like it?" The elf asked as he patted the cat on its head. Grimfang growled compliantly as it chewed on the talbuk haunch.

"Let's get you off this dead rock."