Ties that Blind

The stories and lives of the Grim. ((Roleplaying Stories and In Character Interactions))
Qabian

Re: Ties that Blind

Unread post by Qabian »

Redgrave's hard expression softened somewhat. "Aethas made his return and the Council's vote to allow it was unanimous. Your acceptance is practically a given. Before Theramore, the blood elves' membership was practically unquestioned, despite your prince's fall. We've lost many mages over millennia to the deceit of the Legion. The fact that it happened to one with power and prestige wasn't, or at least should not have been, a mark against your people. With Theramore, however, and Jaina's Purge... It is only sensible for you to be wary."

She looked over at Laeynna, the pale eyes behind her glasses held sadness, though a tightness remained at the corners of her mouth. "Your acceptance into a place of learning and cooperation would not be dependent on the color of your eyes or the choices of your leadership. But your acceptance by individuals? That I cannot guarantee. Despite Khadgar's and Aethas' best efforts, many of us have been hurt, and some even believed Jaina's actions were correct. Those of your brothers and sisters among us who never turned to your prince's use of the fel will definitely look down on you."

She turned back to the tabard on the table, taking an edge of the cloth between her fingers. "None of them could prevent you from joining or remove you once you did, but they could certainly make your life as difficult as they could manage. I assumed--" She hesitated, still looking down at the tabard. "Perhaps that's too strong. I hoped that was why you came here, that some... part of Noraline still lived and wanted to continue her work."
"While our enemies remain, peace is not victory." ~Warchief Sylvanas Windrunner
Laeynna
Lost

Unread post by Laeynna »

"I am a bit accustomed to being looked down upon."

She did say it sadly, for there was nothing sad about it. If she was younger or more naive, the concept would have displeased her. As things stood, she had simply come to accept it. At the end of the day, the only opinion that mattered was her own, and that was because she was the only person guaranteed to be at her side when all was said and done. Again, it was wiser not to say such things. Even if she had been on friendlier terms with the Kirin Tor, she still wouldn't have dared to say it. Laeynna simply didn't enjoy divulging her personal feelings or thoughts on much of anything.

Or maybe it was that she had decided no one else was worthy enough to hear such precious things.

All the same, a part of her could understand objectively where Jessalyn was coming from. "I did claim to have entertained the notion. It is within the realm of possibility. More so now after having spoken with you. I confess that you addressed several concerns and uncertainties I had and was afraid to give voice to." Smiling a bit, feigning a genuine curve of the mouth, and a bit girlish in manner. "You are very intuitive. And very wise. Things you and my aunt had in common, from what I can recall."
Qabian

Unread post by Qabian »

Laeynna's compliments had the effect of raising Redgrave's hackles, provoking her suspicion. The human woman stared at the elf across from her for a cold silence, but after a drawn out pause, she softened again, giving Laeynna a sad smile. "Thank you," Redgrave said, accepting. "And thank you for bringing me Noraline's things. If you do decide to take up your aunt's path more directly, I can try to ease that for you, but I'm certainly not going to insist. A great deal of time has passed and it's very unlikely my assumptions hold any accuracy. What are your plans now? Are you going back to Silvermoon?"
Laeynna
Lost

Unread post by Laeynna »

Laeynna did not reply immediately. She was uncertain on how to answer. She obviously could not leave right then and there. But if she stalled, she might have become too noticeable in what she attempted to do.

Tilting her head, she found her words again, features remaining gentle and a bit bashful. "I had considered asking you for your assistance with such an entry, but..." Shifting and feigning a slight discomfort, "I did not wish to impose. You do not know me at all, except by my aunt's graces, and I feel as though I know far more about you. It would have been very presumptuous for me to come out here and give you her things and then ask for your help. I did not wish you to think that I had ulterior motives."

Weaving her hands together, her smile reflected Jessalyn's, "With or without your assistance, I wanted my aunt's things to be yours all the same. Yet... if you think you could find the kindness, it would be foolish of me to turn it down. I don't suppose you could humour me?" She glanced toward the doorway and after a moment, "Forgive me. I've spoken so much; I'm going to run myself dry. Would it be terribly bothersome of me to ask for something to drink? I don't need anything fancy."
Qabian

Unread post by Qabian »

Suspicion flickered across Redgrave's face again. Then she smirked and held out her empty hand as though she were holding something. A glass of water shimmered into existence in her hand. "You won't have trouble joining the Kirin Tor as a blood elf. You might have trouble joining the Kirin Tor if you haven't learned how to conjure water," she said with a hint of amusement. "Or did you mean sit down and have a longer conversation, rather than simply something to drink?"
Laeynna
Lost

Unread post by Laeynna »

Gratefully, Laeynna accepted it. Water would do, though she supposed she preferred wine. Not that she was about to say so. Anything was better than nothing. She wasn't certain how water would take to poison. They would need something with a little more... colour. Perhaps.

"Ah, you caught me," Laeynna sheepishly confessed. "I was trying to ask for more of your time without actually asking for your time. Yet it seems I've been outsmarted and I'm not half as charming and subtle as I think I am."

She didn't think she was subtle at all, actually. In fact, she was almost positive that she was very transparent about her thoughts and feelings. When she chose to divulge them, of course. Taking a long drink from her water, she continued, "So yes, if you've the time, I wouldn't care to let it slip between my fingers. Also—"

She wiggled the fingers on her free hand, "—I don't know how to conjure water. But to be fair, I've also never tried. Does that make me hopeless?"
Qabian

Unread post by Qabian »

"As a mage interested in the Kirin Tor, absolutely. Quite hopeless," Redgrave said with an amused chuckle. Somehow, the revelation of Laeynna's shortcomings seemed to put the human more at ease, though not entirely so. She glanced around the room as though looking for something, then nodded. "But we have people who can correct that, who specialize in giving hope." She gave a lingering look to the notebook on the table. "We can go elsewhere if you like, but if we leave Kirin Tor grounds, I would stay in the open. We can, in theory, go anywhere, but there are few places outside of Dalaran that are quite so welcoming." She added quietly and with noticeable chagrin. "At least, since Sylvanas' actions as Warchief." She gave a weak smile. "The Legerdemain? Or did you have another idea?"
Laeynna
Lost

Unread post by Laeynna »

Amusement was contagious. Laeynna smiled in turn, doing little to hide her own enjoyment in the exchange. Another long drink and she listened intently, even as Jessalyn cast what she believed to be an investigative glance about.

"I confess that I do not spend much time in Dalaran. Usually if I am here, I am en route elsewhere." She pointed to herself with a free hand. "I have an interest in Azerothian history, cultures, and traditions, so I like travelling a lot. That also means I try not to spend too much time in one place and unfortunately am probably not as familiar with areas as I should be."

She mirrored Jessalyn's smile, however, as she continued, "Why don't you pick someplace that you like? Someplace special to you. Dalaran is fine. I prefer the welcoming places, myself."

Although she couldn't help but wonder how she was going to accomplish an assassination in broad daylight. It wasn't as though she could simply cloak herself in the shadows once the deed had been done. True, that a poison was not going to take effect immediately. If she could find a way to gradually subject Jessalyn to it, it could result in a tormenting agony drawn out before she finally met her maker. But Qabian just wanted it done and over with.

Laeynna almost frowned. Pushing Jessalyn for something private so transparently would be suspicious. She would need to find another way.
Qabian

Unread post by Qabian »

"En route elsewhere," Redgrave repeated to herself, her tone heavy with curiosity. "Someplace special. We can go sit by the Memorial. It is open, but usually quiet," she said. "You know the story of Antonidas?" the woman asked as she stepped past Laeynna, a good deal of her apprehension apparently either dispensed with or better hidden than initially.
Laeynna
Lost

Unread post by Laeynna »

"I have heard the name," Laeynna admitted as her features softened.

She waited a few moments to give Jessalyn her space. It'd do no good to give her cause for concern. Looking around a few moments more, she gave silent regards to the two implements Qabian had given her to get to the present. Then she moved to follow in suit.

"Not the story, however," she continued. "I'm all ears if you feel like sharing with me what you know."
Qabian

Unread post by Qabian »

Redgrave sighed. "I wondered if they bothered recounting such things in Silvermoon, or if history was restricted to Dalaran and--" She caught herself before concluding that sentence.

"He was on the Council of Six. He had a curious sort of obsession with orcs after the Second War, but what I remember him for is forcing Kel'Thuzad off the Council and out of Dalaran entirely for toying with necromancy," she explained as she made her way out of the Citadel without looking behind her to ensure Laeynna was following. Redgrave did indeed leave the items behind, though her reason for doing so wasn't immediately evident. "Though other aspects of his story are likely more meaningful depending on perspective. He was Jaina's tutor, for one. He discovered the nature of the plagued grain in Stratholme. Some even theorize Antonidas was to blame for Arthas' losing his mind, or at least for allowing the prince into a situation that made him vulnerable, just as he had done for Kel'Thuzad."

As she walked into the streets of Dalaran, Redgrave stopped in her account and stepped into a small shop. Only then did she finally turn to Laeynna. "Are you hungry?"
Laeynna
Lost

Unread post by Laeynna »

Ah. Necromancy. Good, ol' necromancy.

Although she wasn't personally dabbling in the artwork of demonic entities, there were some lines that weren't necessarily blurred but came close to one another. Or at least, in terms of history, such things happened. Laeynna couldn't quite remember how she'd stumbled upon it, but listening to Jessalyn recount the history of Antonidas, she recalled once or twice reading about necromancy. Never a how-to. Mostly just stern reminders that such things were not meant to be trifled with.

"There is usually more to someone than what we see. History is very likely to take names and twist their definitions over time." After a moment's consideration, she paused. "Forgive me. I'm a skeptic. A little, anyroad."

The invitation for food was a welcomed one and relief dared to flutter across her expression. Not just for her sake. But the poison's as well. It was protected in vial and all, but Laeynna could swear that she was tingling just thinking about it. "I am a little, now that you mention it. I got so wrapped up in our conversation that I suppose it didn't dawn on me I hadn't eaten since before I set out on my way here."
Qabian

Unread post by Qabian »

Redgrave nodded and approached the counter, ordering a basket of paper-wrapped breads, cheeses, a bunch of grapes, some kind of yellow melon slices, and a bottle of simple wine. Her little picnic acquired, she slipped the basket onto her elbow and made her way back out of the shop with the briefest weak smile at Laeynna, where the mage immediately took up again the brisk walk toward the memorial.

“There seems to be a consensus that Antonidas’ life was worth remembering,” Redgrave explained as they approached the statue. “Those who blame him for all modern ills are certainly in the minority. It's no exaggeration that he was the closest thing a city-state ruled by a Council like Dalaran has ever had to a single leader. And he died by Arthas’ hand. It was, so the story goes, your very prince who set Antonidas’ lost spirit free from endless wandering of the city's rubble.”
Laeynna
Lost

Unread post by Laeynna »

Laeynna waited patiently, though when Jessalyn returned, she took silent stock of what she'd brought with her. Simple enough things. And pleasant, too. It was not hard for her to mirror the gesture, as slight and subtle as it was. It seemed in spite of being capable of playing a part, bits of the real Laeynna still showed through her facade. Not... that anyone other than her would be truly aware of such.

"Even those who have made grave error are important to history," Laeynna agreed with a nod. When Kael'thas came up, however, she found her words to be even more true. "Ironic, that. My prince... I suppose that is the..." She shakes her head, unsure of how to continue. "I think people forget what he was even like once upon a time. There is no redemption from being corrupted by power, but at the same time, I cannot fully loathe the man. I would not be surprised if some felt the same about Antonidas."

After a moment's consideration, she continued, "But what do you think of all of that? Do you think people so black and white?"
Qabian

Unread post by Qabian »

When they arrived, Redgrave sat down on a bench beside the memorial's statue and placed the basket beside her. She unwrapped a small bun of dark bread and spread its paper wrapper across her lap, but didn't actually eat. She held it in front of her and looked up at the glowing orb in the statue's hand. "Mages tend to be thoughtful, analytical people. It would be strange for us to consider anyone entirely good or bad, and it would be strange for any of us to be entirely good or bad. For all our frequent lack of spirituality, even at our worst we tend to have some balance in understanding, whether it's individual power versus the greater good or any other spectrum of quality. That said, we're hardly monolithic, and I've met some undeniably evil people in my time. I don't think either Antonidas or Kael'thas could have fit under that label, though. Antonidas fell to caution. He became old and careful. Kael'thas did the opposite. Do elves even grow old?" she mused. "They say they do, but I see it so rarely. I wonder if those who do have chosen it somehow."