Trial of Combat: Laeynna

The stories and lives of the Grim. ((Roleplaying Stories and In Character Interactions))
Laeynna
Lost

Trial of Combat: Laeynna

Unread post by Laeynna »

He wants me to write about our misadventure into Stormwind?

Laeynna leaned back in her chair, drawing her gaze on the entryway and the sheer curtain that acted as its most impractical 'door.' Shaking her head slowly, she issued a soft sigh, unsure of where even to begin. How did she even get to this point? Was she, a humble botanist, ripe and proper for such work?

But Qabian had once told her that strength was not physical alone. The Grim had accepted her presence so far. Laeynna wondered if that implied she possessed strength of a different sort, and if so, perhaps that was the reason for their tolerance.

"I can procrastinate for cycles of suns and moons, but they will not wait forever."

-----

Report for the Inquisition:

I've travelled through many different regions across both Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdom, though usually these adventures are lacking excitement and thrill. One can't expect too many surprises when studying flora, apparently, though I'm sure I can conjure up a story or two that would contradict that.

On the celebration of the Grim's many triumphs and cycles of presenting its mandate and cause, we made excursion toward the territory of Stormwind. This was a first time for me and I'd heard stories of its formidable architecture and lines of defence. I imagine if I had gone in solitude, I would have simply been strung up and that would be the very end of my story.

We were led by Awatu and those in what I presume were his esteemed for the night on the front lines. I don't know very much about combat, in truth. The most I've ever seen of it has come down to self-defence, which is an increasingly common occurrence as the days dwindle on. Regardless, I found the experience to be a bit of a rush. An exhilaration, if I can have the audacity to say so. Everything was very quick of pace, which I suppose was necessary. One can't expect a successful strike if they lollygag about it.

I am not terribly wonderful with names, though faces I tend to better recognise. In spite of this, I can say that watching Rona'zae or Qabian, Umbral, and the others, it was a little difficult not to compare myself to them. The three have unique skillsets, though I think that everyone in attendance could not be considered identical to another. My own skills come from a portion of my past that I have meant to sever myself from, though I had no choice in our ongoing skirmish. I suppose I cannot fully hate demonic entities when they remain in service to their masters, though that too, beckons a story of opinions for another day and another time.

The only downside was that so much was happening that it was a little difficult for me to truly focus. At the same time, I preferred the companionship. I felt as though we all had come together for a similar cause and that we were bonded in our mutual desire to see justice served to the Boy King's fools. Naturally, it would have been foolish to assume we would so conveniently topple him from his throne. The very same fools we had sought to deliver just reward to eventually outnumbered us and we were forced to retreat. Although, this was not done without us having left our mark on them.

I questioned originally, my ability to integrate myself with the company of the Grim, though the misadventure into Stormwind did strengthen my resolve. I possess a desire to bring my own brand of strength to them, if I can find what that may be. I may not possess Qabian's skill with pyre and flame, or Umbral's arm strength, but surely I have something that allows me an equally unique trait.

Undeniably, I look forward to future like experiences and how they will shape me as an individual.

~L. Emberflame
Qabian

Re: Trial of Combat: Laeynna

Unread post by Qabian »

Qabian smiled as he read over Laeynna's report, then looked up to make sure no one was coming by just at that moment. Sometimes it seemed she had less in common with him than anyone. He was, after all, a student of violence from his earliest memories. But she had a taste for eloquence, and despite his being forced to stand in front of others, he found himself often tasting jealousy for her ability to simply stand aside and listen. Perhaps one day, he could return to such a place. But for now...

He wrote the word "Excellent" in the margin and added the page to one of the much smaller piles of paper in the chaos of the construction of his new office.
"While our enemies remain, peace is not victory." ~Warchief Sylvanas Windrunner