Experimentation

The stories and lives of the Grim. ((Roleplaying Stories and In Character Interactions))
Gavril
Lost

Experimentation

Unread post by Gavril »

Experimentation

Months prior, at the height of the campaign against the Burning Legion on Argus...

The eredar lies bound on a jagged rock atop a plateau, the chaos of the Antoran Wastes raging all around. A field of pulsing energy encircles the rock and the eredar thus bound while runes shift in and out of focus within the circle. Just outside the circle stands an undead warlock. His skeletal claw is raised toward the demon, tendrils of fel energy feeding from the tips of his bony fingers into the circle.

He chants in Demonic, drawing power from Argus itself as his spectral voice reaches a crescendo. The eredar, lying in still defiance on the rock, suddenly begins to convulse and lets out a guttural shriek. His form shifts and warps, seeming to draw itself into the ritual circle surrounding it. The warlock manipulates the tendrils of energy drawing out the eredar's soul as a tailor weaves cloth.

Moments pass, the demon writhing and moaning on the makeshift altar. Suddenly, a rumbling cacophony swells from the valley behind the warlock. Unphased, he slowly turns to face the noise. A throng of demons charge up over the edge of the plateau, the beating of their hooves and claws causing the ground to shake and tremble.

Gavril pulls a pocketwatch out of his sleeve and gives it a glance. “Right on time.”

As if on cue, the ritual circle behind his swiftly expands, its circumference racing to the edge of the plateau as the horde charges onto the field of cracking whorls and runes.

One eredar seems to realize their mistake and moves to make the command to fall back. But it is too late.

Gavril holds aloft a cube towards the demons, and activates the circle.

All at once, the throng collapses to the rocky ground, shrieking, bellowing, confusedly clawing at themselves and at each other.

“Ah, the orchestra of agony.”

Violet tendrils pull from each demon, langorously wending their way to coalesce at the cube in Gavril's hand. The demons' screams intensify as their souls are rent from their bodies, one by one collapsing and expiring in silence. As the final demon's soul leaves its body, Gavril turns back towards the eredar lashed in the center of the ritual circle, the field of energy dissipating with a wave of the warlock's hand.

“Who knew the Legion were so loyal to its commanders?”

With a shrug, Gavril raises the cube towards the eredar.

----------

Deep in the catacombs of the Magic Quarter in the Undercity, Gavril sits at a large wooden desk in his apartments. He holds the cube, an intricate latticework of Argunite inlaid with a multitude of violet stones. Slowly rotating it in one hand, he draws a simple wrought iron rod along the surface, multicolored sparks shooting out of each stone the rod touches.

He sighs and sets the rod down, resignedly, flicking a finger towards a book and quill to his right. The book springs open and the quill begins writing of its own accord while he continues to inspect the artifact.

The destruction of the Soulcage set us back immeasurably. When we first arrived on Argus, I immediately set about the task of finding another suitable artifact to meet the Dark Lady's needs... Surely the home of the Burning Legion would house something, anything, whether it be of their own design, or plundered from one of their many conquered worlds? I cannot imagine that they haven't killed or assimilated other forces equal to or greater than Helya. Despite countless forays across Legion territory, and continuous raids on their compounds, I found nothing suitable. Plenty of arms and armament, sure, but nothing that could be reassumed for the Forsaken.

However, just because there has been nothing readily available, that does not mean that Argus is not brimming with enough power to craft such an item, yes?

At least, that was my hope.

I set about crafting something. I commissioned the framework, of Argunite, so as to most effectively channel Argus' power. With my skills as an enchanter and a warlock, I put the final touches on it … A particularly special soulstone encased in the core, with a network of soulshards feeding power directly in to the soulstone. All that was left to do was to empower it.

Hundreds of souls. From wrathguard shock troops to the top Legion commanders, I have filled this thing with hundreds of souls. It is brimming with power.

Does it work?

From a raw necromantic standpoint, yes. So far, I can animate constructs of flesh and bone, even empower them with tactical thought. But this is nothing new. This is nothing next to a val'kyr's powers. The Dark Lady already has such instruments, including though not limited to those Death Knights pledged to her service.

Can it enslave a val'kyr?

No. I've already tried. And paid that price. Eyir would not fall for such a thing again, regardless.

Have I failed?

For my own sake, I pray not.