Murder in Silvermoon City

The stories and lives of the Grim. ((Roleplaying Stories and In Character Interactions))
Vyalis

Murder in Silvermoon City

Unread post by Vyalis »

It was still dark outside when Vyalis stepped into the empty Silvermoon City inn, a feeling of nostalgia washing over him as his nose picked up the familiar savory smells wafting around the room. It had been years since he had been in this city, and much of it was just as he remembered, though this visit certainly felt a bit different...

He cocked his head as he entered the main hall, eyeing the innkeeper and her employee. "What will it take to clear out this inn for the next two hours?" He took out a sack of money as he spoke, dropping it on the table in front of them. "I trust this will be enough."

The two Blood Elves looked puzzled by the odd request, but upon recognizing the rogue, the innkeeper dropped her eyes and nodded quickly. Vyalis chucked softly at this response, and walked around the table to where the she stood, her eyes still down towards the floor. "I also trust that you will hold off on telling the guards that I am here, at least until I'm done with my business." He put one finger under her chin, lifting her face up to meet his eyes. Thick tension hung in the air like a cloud as he held her gaze with a silent threat, and Vyalis let it hang for what felt like forever before releasing her and taking a step back. Without awaiting a response, he merrily plucked two mugs off of the table and headed upstairs to the lounge above, calling back over his shoulder: "Tell my brother I'm waiting when you see him; and please don't try to cross me, dear Velandra." The two residents hustled out of the building, making sure to clear out any customers in the area.

The inn now empty, Vyalis went straight for a keg, filling his mug with ale. He sat himself down and reclined back, lazily sipping his drink and running his hand over a tiny vial he held. A dark smile crept across his face as he plotted this long awaited meeting with his brother.

He had sent Gidius a message through the post, asking him to meet at this old haunt of theirs to put their disagreements behind them. Vyalis had no doubt that he would show up... his brother desperately wanted to bury the hatchet-- they were the only family they had left. Plus, his younger brother was never one to turn down a chance to reminisce on old times.

Vyalis sat up in his seat, his mug now slightly drained. He popped the cork off of the vial that he held, and dumped it into the drink, quickly moving it away from his face and placing it on the table next to him. No sooner had he done that, he heard a set of all too familiar footsteps sauntering up the stairs. Another young elf appeared at the top of the stairs. He had the same characteristic blonde hair and green eyes that were all too common for their family, though he was a fair bit younger than Vyalis.

"Brother!" the rogue stood up from his chair, walking towards his kin quickly, his arms outstretched for an embrace. "You look well! I'm glad you could make it." The siblings wrapped their arms firmly around each other, and Vyalis could feel the heat emanating from Gidius' body. He had grown stronger since their last encounter-- much stronger.

"Quite a risky place to meet, brother." the pyromancer looked around cautiously, "And poor two employees are sitting outside the door looking like they saw a ghost... Is everything okay?" There was a tangible skepticism in his voice.

Vyalis waved his hand dismissively "Of course everything is okay! I just wanted to have a drink with my brother and catch up a bit. I had to take some precautions so that some guard wouldn't come try and claim my bounty. I'll be the first to admit that our last encounter was a bit... brusque, though it's nothing a few drinks won't fix!" He put his arms around Gidius' shoulder and began guiding him towards the lounge. "I'm going to grab you a drink!"

The rogue grabbed the empty mug he picked up earlier for his brother and went over to the tap, his back facing the mage as he poured another drink. Gidius could tell something was a bit off about his brother-- it had been a long time since he had seen his brother this cheerful. "Have you met a woman or something?" He cast out the question like a fishing line "You seem awfully upbeat."

Vyalis returned to sit next to his brother and passed him the mug, and Gidius eyed it quizzically. If anyone else were to hand him a drink like this he would be hesitant to take a sip at all... And there was something in his brother's eyes that was making him uneasy.

The rogue chuckled at the remark and watched as his brother set his mug down next to his without taking a sip. "You know, it's funny that you ask, I actually have met someone new! I have a whole new lease on life now!" His brother shifted in his seat, trying to discern what it was that was different about Vyalis. The rogue continued "In fact, I have something to show you... let me get it out of my bag."

Vyalis turned his back again to his brother and started rooting around his backpack, pretending to search for something. He heard a faint clunk behind him and smiled softly. 'Like a mouse in a trap' he thought. He turned around and feigned confusion "I think in my hurry I may have left it back in Dalaran. I'll have to settle for just telling you about them." He picked up his ale and peered at it discreetly-- A full mug. Gidius sat across from him expectantly and took a sip of ale as he looked at his brother.

Vyalis continued, his tone of voice shifting slightly. "They're called The Grim. It's possible that you've heard of them in your travels." Gidius' eyes widened at the mention of the guild and he responded loudly "The Grim?! I thought we agreed they were too extreme! You disappear for just a few months and go get yourself involved with a bunch of fanatics?? Here I thought you had found some sort of lover!" The temperature of the room rose as he spoke, and his face became bright red. Sweat beaded down his forehead and bags appeared under his eyes.

The rogue looked on gleefully, unable to contain his smile. It was working! After all the years of holding back his rage and biding his time, he was finally going to have his revenge. He stood up from his chair, clasping his hands behind his back and standing over his brother, who now began to cough violently. "You fool. You think I could ever love again? After what you did to me?!" His voice rose and he grabbed Gidius' collar, standing him up to look him in the eyes. "You STOLE her from me and you couldn't even protect her when she needed you most!"

The rogue threw Gidius to the floor, who was now writhing in agony and coughing up blood on the floor of the inn, trying to crawl towards the stairs to get away. Vyalis stepped slowly towards his brother, savoring the moment, and placed his hand on the mage's right wrist. Gidius gasped aloud, and Vyalis stooped down, plucking a ring from his brother's finger. It was the ring that She had given Gidius all those years ago, before the scourge killed her. He wordlessly put the ring on, feeling a sense of satisfaction that he had not felt in a long time.

Below him, he heard the hoarse whisper of his brother's voice. "W-why?" He heard it ask. He picked the near-lifeless body up by the scruff of it's neck and hung it over the hand railings leading to the inn below.

"Peace through annihilation." The words cut through the air, which had begun to cool down. Vyalis lifted his brother's body over the railing and dropped him down into the inn's main hall, a loud crack being heard as his body hit the floor.

An eerie silence came over the inn. Vyalis peered down at his brother's unmoving figure and thought back to all the grief and heartache that fool had put him through. He had been an alliance loving, lecherous parasite, and the rogue certainly felt an immense weight lifted off of his shoulders. And yet... He felt a pang of sympathy for the young elf. Maybe in another life they could have co-existed without being so at odds with each other.

The rogue stepped back from the railing, a dark and sinister look shrouding his face. He held the ring up to the light and smiled warmly. It was just as beautiful as he remembered. He walked down the stairs and towards the door, stepping over his brother's lifeless body.

He took a step outside and found the two employees sitting by the door. He paused next to them, breathing in the new day. "Take this, for the mess inside." Vyalis tossed the Innkeeper a small purse of coins, garnering an alarmed expression. No sooner had they rushed inside to see what he meant, he had vanished into the cold morning air.

The last thing he heard before he left that wretched city was the innkeeper's piercing scream cutting through the darkness.
Vyalis

Re: Murder in Silvermoon City

Unread post by Vyalis »

Two weeks later, Vyalis sat alone in his study. The Hall of Shadows had been getting a good deal more traffic since the invasion of the Legion, and yet he felt strangely isolated. Some part of him had broken when he threw his brother off of that ledge, and his associates could sense it. Those people he used to work with had grown worried by his erratic behavior, and Vyalis found himself with few allies in the Hall of Shadows. The path before him was becoming clear, and he would need the Grim more than ever.

He sat down with a quill and paper to begin the formal report on his brother's death.

-----------------------------

To The Grim,

I write this letter to you as a formal record of my actions in service of the Mandate. On the 15th of this month, I procured a deadly poison from the black market in the Hall of Shadows and fed it to my brother, Gidius Bloodstar. As a symbol of my act, I procured an artifact ring from his person-- one with which he would never part willingly-- and showed it to Qabian Grimfire.

Though it is with a heavy heart that I committed this fratricide, my brother would have served only as an obstacle to my enactment of the Mandate. He felt strong sympathy for many members of the Alliance, and found much disagreement with my strong-handed approach to this war.

In addition, my murder of Gidius has effectively severed my ties to my family, as I am the sole survivor of my dynasty. With this new freedom, I will be able to better serve the Grim in whatever capacity is required.

To further show my commitment to the Grim, I have decided to lay my surname of 'Bloodstar' to rest fully, and change my name to Vyalis Thori'din Zaram-- which translates most directly to Furyblade in orcish.

Long live the mandate, and know that my blades will always be at your disposal.

~Vyalis

-----------------------------

He sat back in his chair, looking over his words. He felt glad to be rid of that bloody name. It was amazing how a name that he wasn't even born into could cause him so much grief.

Vyalis rested the quill on his desk and rolled up the parchment, tucking away it into his bag. He would be delivering it himself. He collected the last of his precious belongings from this study and moved towards the door, stopping in the threshold. He would undoubtedly be back here to take advantage of the resources provided to him by the Uncrowned, but he also knew that a turning point was upon him.

He took a step into the corridor and didn't look back again.