Qabian's Resolve

The stories and lives of the Grim. ((Roleplaying Stories and In Character Interactions))
Qabian

Qabian's Resolve

Unread post by Qabian »

Ul-Rezaj and the Earthshakers

This troll was the first and easiest to track down. During the Inquisition, Ul-Rezaj seemed to have Khorvis's approval, while others seemed wary. I believe I was even warned not to drink anything he offered. Looking back, this wariness may have been a good sign. Ul-Rezaj is an excellent Grim on first impression.

He instructed we meet at Sylvan Falls, and we spoke there overlooking what he called "night elves' folly". While I know of no location referred to on maps by such an indicator, I assume he meant Shala'nir and the effects of the Emerald Nightmare.

He surprised me initially by seeking "an aesthetically pleasing overlook," but when I inquired as to why, he referred to symbolism. That was my first hint of the troll's true intelligence. I have memories of a number of interviews I held with prospective Grim beneath the captive shade of M'uru when it was held in Silvermoon for exactly that reason: symbolism.

He went on to describe nearby locations and how they relate to what the Grim protects, and I had to interrupt to ask if he knew me. Having given as many interviews as I did, if this troll knew who I was even by reputation, the descriptions he gave could have been reprimands, criticism of my failure to remain with the Grim over the past several years.

However, I was reassured by his responses that he had no idea who I was, by name or reputation, so rather than attempting to insult me, the troll was actually doing due diligence as he would for any ordinary supplicant. That was another mark in his favor. If I had been an ordinary supplicant, he was setting out a good path for me to follow.

Ul-Rezaj evaded my attempts to draw out his personal reasons for being Grim. The internal drive of individual Grim is always of interest to me. Instead, he detailed what he called "Awatu's vision". I know this Awatu by name and face and hammer, but little else. For the troll, Awatu's vision seems to translate as the Grim's definition of peace.

He referred to Huln Highmountain as an example, bringing the tribes together to cast out their enemies. There is a logic to this, but it is a very careful, diplomatic logic, especially given the Highmountain tribe's current stance with the Alliance.

It turned out Ul-Rezaj was in fact being careful. Given my appearance as a blood elf and the fact that the Kirin Tor continue to tail me due to past crimes when the city was in Northrend, it is not so surprising that his first impression of me was one of softness.

Our conversation revealed the reality of my stance to him more clearly. We spoke of chaos and control. We spoke of those who criticised the Grim on Draenor. We spoke of emphasizing peace and holding up that value for others such as the Kirin Tor, while always following the Grim path of annihilation.

When the subject of the direct fight against the Alliance was broached, I mentioned that I do not enjoy a fair fight. This is something I have mused on since. I believe this is because when the odds are stacked for or against in a fight, the goal shifts away from simple victory to the delivering of messages. If the odds are already in one's favor, the message delivered is one of power, perhaps even humiliation of the lesser. If the odds heavily favor one's enemies, the message becomes one of resilience and determination. If the odds are even for both sides of a fight, however, the goal is mere victory, and if there is any message delivered, it is one of honor. There may be some who disagree, but I think Ul-Rezaj would understand that there is little room for honor on the path of annihilation.

Since I do not enjoy playing the even-handed games of war, Ul-Rezaj suggested we respond to the horns of the defenders, and we did. There was little to find, and the odds were definitely in our favor, as our magic ripped through the few Alliance who had the misfortune of crossing our path. It struck me that all the Alliance we encountered were on their own. I recall a time where only the brazen and drunk went into the open world anywhere alone because doing so was a foolish guarantee of becoming prey to one's enemies. The Broken Isles are far from Quel'danas indeed.

In the time that has passed since my discussions with Ul-Rezaj, I have learned that playing the games of war may be the only way to acquire the equipment and build the skills to truly deliver the message of the Mandate in those unfair fights in the field that I prefer. However, at this time, and my current state of recovery, I have resolved to wait where the games and the Alliance are concerned. My focus is feeble and cannot be spread too thin at this time if I am to survive. In the future, though, when I have regained my strength, I have not ruled out the possibility of stepping back into the battlegrounds.

Ruuki and the Legionbreakers

Where Ul-Rezaj evaded revealing his personal reasons for being Grim, Ruuki the Reborn revealed essentially only her personal reasons for being Grim. That is not to her detriment. It is always satisfying to know the story behind a given Grim's drive for annihilation's peace.

At first I wondered if I had been directed toward Ruuki in order to discourage me from speaking to other sin'dorei, given my history, but in retrospect, that idea was ridiculous.

Ruuki told me a tale of uncertainty and the Argent Crusade, of poison and Alliance gibberish, of stolen property and lost memory, abandoned revenge and found family.

It is always curious how Tauren end up with the Grim. It seems such a non-traditional path for anyone coming from the culture of Thunder Bluff. And yet, I have been impressed with more of the Grim's Tauren than the Forsaken who seem more suited to its atmosphere. Ruuki is clearly content with her decisions, strong in her convictions, and sturdy in her place among the Grim.

When we spoke of the Legionbreakers, she simply directed me to Rumbuggery and his assistants. That was enough.

When the Grim fight enemies such as the Legion, the odds are almost never even. We must struggle and claw our way out from under them, delivering continually that message of resilience and determination, until the day we forcibly shift the odds, and crush them beneath our heels. These are the fights I prefer, and this is where I have resolved to set my focus.

In practice, while I feel my contributions to the Legionbreakers' cause have been decent enough, I do not have the strength I once had. I waver and weaken in actions that were once unshakable. I will continue to do what I can to improve for these fights.

Bishoph and the Inquisition

Khorvis said that my meeting with the current Keeper was not a part of my trials, though others seem to be under the impression that it is. I assume that meeting with the Keeper is for the Keeper's edification, rather than my own. That being said, it seems something has been keeping the Keeper in solitude during almost every hour I have searched for him, despite our attempts to organize a reasonable time. I will continue the search and provide the results of that meeting when they are available.

Before the Inquisition existed, the Grim would interview prospectives based on their careers. Mages would interview mages, rogues would interview rogues, and such. I was interviewing mages early in my time with the Grim. As there were no paladins to do interviews, I would interview them as well, though I knew nothing of hammers and light. When Muatah didn't have the time to interview hunters, I would interview them, too. Eventually, it was clear that those interested in doing interviews should do the interviews, rather than restrict them arbitrarily by experience. The Inquisition was built, and I was one of the first Inquisitors.

My history with the Grim's Inquisition and my past role as Keeper did not arise out of thin air. I am and always have been interested in the tales and motivations of the Grim, both as individuals and as a group. I am still learning how the Grim's current methods differ from what I knew, but those interests remain strong, so I am resolved to offer whatever I can in service to the Inquisition.

What Remains

I had only selected two names initially. While I doubt my resolve as it stands will shift with more information, and my old tabard has already been retrieved, I am not averse to speaking to others in order to learn more of this new Grim.

In the meantime, my Trial of Combat is underway.

Between those I have spoken to and the Inquisitions I have attended, I have learned that while the details may be different, the core of what it means to be Grim has not changed.
"While our enemies remain, peace is not victory." ~Warchief Sylvanas Windrunner