Remembering Beyond Memory

The stories and lives of the Grim. ((Roleplaying Stories and In Character Interactions))
Syreenna
Irredeemable

Remembering Beyond Memory

Unread post by Syreenna »

The Tauren capital always seemed peaceful to Syreena, and while most Horde seemed to spend their time in Warspear or Orgrimmar these days, she wasn’t surprised when Awatu summoned her to Thunder Bluff for their ‘date’. She was still surprised though, that he had paid sixteen thousand gold at the bachelorette auction to spend time with her. As far as she was concerned, her time already belonged to him anytime he chose.

Syreena had no idea what to expect that evening, and being around Awatu often made her nervous. He was the Commander of The Grim, and as far as she was concerned, there was no higher authority—not Vol’jin, not even the Dark Lady herself. Not to mention, she’d seen him have a Grim’s arms ripped off once, and another time, she’d witnessed him throw a new Grim into a blazing brazier. However, as they talked about familiar things, like battles with the Alliance in Tanaan and her opinions on the current batch of Supplicants, she soon felt more at ease. Then he changed the subject again.

“I have noticed some changes in your behavior recently,” Awatu said to Syreena. “Have you been feeling well since your 'rescue'?”

“I...am well. I just...sometimes it's hard to remember things,” the little rogue answered reluctantly, but without hesitation. “But I can still fight,” she said earnestly, hoping to assure him that she was still useful, even if her mind was no longer whole. “Even better now. I've been training harder.”

"That is good,” Awatu said, nodding. “What do you find yourself forgetting?"

“Some things from the time I was...with the humans, and some things from Grim,” she admitted, referring to her time as a prisoner among the Alliance a few months ago, where she had been used in a mind-erasing experiment. In truth, she didn’t know for sure how much was still missing from her memories. She often didn’t realize she’d forgotten something until she was faced with it. “Like when Gaz came back, I didn't remember him at first.”

“Have you sought remedies?” Awatu inquired.

“Lilly helped with her shadow mind spells, and she fixed some of it. She said some of it might never come back, but I think most of it is back now. Or it eventually comes back, at least.” Syreena resisted the urge to fidget as she discussed with the Commander what she saw a weakness in herself, but Awatu seemed interested only in helping her, not judging her.

Awatu nodded, a slight furrow in his brow. “There are many Shu'halo rituals for seeing beyond sight. Perhaps aid could be found here. Remembering beyond memory. Reliving the past, if only for fleeting moments. There is much that a Shu'halo spirit walker can heal that shows no visible wound.”

“Do we have any Grims that could do that?” Syreena asked. Her first though was Yichimet, but of course he was long gone. She was not sure how she remembered the old shaman when so many other Grims were lost to her memories, but she was grateful for it.

“I no longer speak with the spirits,” Awatu said. “I only speak with An'she. I could not aid you in this, personally.”

Syreena smiled at him, touched that it would even cross his mind that he might have been a candidate to help her, and then she tilted her head as she thought. "Makuni spoke of the spirits or ancestors once. Maybe I could ask him. But I'm mostly fine, really. I can still fight and everything.”

“Fighting is only one part of the whole,” Awatu said.

“It's the part I'm best at,” Syreena answered with a wicked grin, but his words lingered on her mind. For a while now, she’d thought of herself as a weapon of The Grim. She was more than that once; maybe she would be again.

"I am well aware. I find myself quite capable at combat as well." Awatu smiled, and then he changed the subject once again. “So, what else have you gotten yourself into?”
Alts: Lirsha Deathwhistle & Ayidda
Syreenna
Irredeemable

Re: Remembering Beyond Memory

Syreena sat at the edge of the garrison’s herb garden later that evening as she waited for Makuni to arrive. He waved when he got there, and she smiled at him. They made small talk for a few minutes before Syreena told him why she wanted to meet with him.

“I was talking to the Commander earlier.” Syreena fidgeted as she spoke. She was uncomfortable talking about her weakened mental state, even to another Grim who could potentially help her.

Makuni raised an eyebrow. “Yes. I heard him call you.”

“He suggested I seek some help with something.... A problem I've had for a little while now. He suggested there might be a Shu'halo ritual to help.”

Makuni nodded as he listened to her. “Really?”

“He said there were rituals for seeing beyond sight, and remembering beyond memory. Reliving the past, if only for a moment....to help remember things. He suggested a Shu'halo spirit walker, which I think is a shaman? But I haven't known a Tauren shaman for a long time.”

Makuni nodded as he listened to Syreena. "I do recall hearing the shaman speaking of such things. I could look into the rituals if you wish. Perhaps, there is something I could do to help you.”

“I would like that.” Syreena smiled at him.

“Might I inquire as to what you would like to learn?”

Syreena tilted her head. “I've forgotten things. Lilly went into my head with her shadow mind spells and fixed some of it, but she said she couldn't do any more. Most of it's back...well, I think....but...sometimes it's still hard to remember things, or it feels like there are still holes in there, you know? Like...when Gazreeth came back, it took me a long time to remember who he was.”

"I understand,” Makuni assured her with a smile. “So, you desire to recall any memories that you have forgotten?”

Syreena nodded. "But I don't know what is missing."

Makuni scratched his chin. "Then allow me a bit of time to research this. I might have to seek the council of the elders in Thunderbluff in regards to a ritual, but I will keep your name clear of the conversations. I can make no promises on if I can do anything, but I will certainly try"

“I understand. I assured the Commander I can still fight, and it doesn't affect me doing my job, but he said fighting is only part of me. It's the best part of me,” Syreena said, grinning, as if trying to make light of the situation.

“Perhaps. Perhaps not,” Makuni mused. “Maybe Awatu sees something inside of you that you don't see. I do not know him well. Truthfully, he has only nodded to me twice since I came to the Grim.”

She shrugged. "Maybe. He said I've been acting different since I got back."

“Got back.....from where?”

Syreena looked at him as he asked, and then she looked past him at the herb garden as she spoke. "The Alliance had me. I was their prisoner. The man in charge there.....he did mind experiments... He erased parts of my memory with some machine."

Makuni smiled disarmingly. "I remember you telling me of your capture. Though, you did not mention the experiments"

“It's not something I like to talk about. The experiments left me...well it could be seen as a weakness to be missing part of my mind,” she explained.

“I will say nothing of it,” Makuni said. “We have a meeting tomorrow evening in Thunderbluff. Perhaps I can get there early enough to do a bit of research. From there, we can figure out a course of action.”

“I wouldn't trouble you about it, but...the Commander suggested I look into it, so I figured I would ask.”

Makuni nodded and flashed a reassuring smile. The little rogue smiled back, seemingly somewhat more at ease. The two talked a bit longer before Makuni left to tend to some other matters.
Syreenna
Irredeemable

In the Wyvern’s Tail, some Grims relaxed and drank. Ul-Rezaj and Lupin were talking about Kerala, and the time she ripped Lupin limb from limb, because he mentally invaded her mind for information about her past.

“Don't go playin' wid peoples 'eads,” Aderlee said at the end of the story.

“Not with a wild animal,” Lupin agreed.

“You know anything about Tauren spells for mind stuff like that?” Syreena asked.

Lupinum raised his eyebrow inquisitively at her. He slurred as he spoke. “It wash nothing different than from what I use to talk to people in their minds. Just... deeper. Like watching a movie shomeone made.”

"This isn't about that,” she said, shaking her head. He was a bit defensive already after some of Ul-Rezaj’s comments about Kerala, and Syreena was hasty to assure him she wasn’t going on about that. “The Commander told me to look into Shu'halo rituals for ‘remembering beyond memory’ or something. To try to...finish fixing...things...”

“Aaah...,” Lupin said. “I think I shee what you mean. But I don't really have any insight... I can ask, Lomani is gifted with Light, as I am. She might know.”

“Makuni is looking into it for me, but I'm not real eager to have anyone else in there again, you know? I'm not sure I want to remember it all...”

“I'll help looking into it, but of course nothing would happen without consent.” Lupin twirled his finger near his temple. "Y'know, all the mind... stuff."

“The Commander suggested it,” Syreena answered simply, as if that explained why she had to do it. Though she didn’t think Awatu meant his suggestion to be an order, she would be a fool to ignore his wisdom. Besides that, her curiosity wouldn’t allow her to turn from this path that’s been shown to her without exploring it.

“He 'suggested' you remember the time you spent imprisoned to those Alliance whoresons?” Lupin asked.

“Well, no, that's not exactly what he suggested,” she answered, flinching slightly at his tone. “I assured him I could still fight, and he said I'm more than that and should be whole again....or something like that.”

Lupin looked at her sadly. “Do you feel that you're whole?”

“There are holes in my mind. Memories missing. Something else.... It feels like something else is missing too,” she said, keeping her voice matter-of-fact. She didn’t want anyone to feel sorry for her. She was frustrated by her condition, but she didn’t need anyone’s pity over it. “I just... I can't remember what.”

“Wat if nothin' is missin'?” Aderlee asked.

“So shhe's just forgetting, what?” Lupin asked the witch doctor. “The time spent looking around at the sky?”

Aderlee shrugged. "De sky is inspirin' tah look at, 'oo could blame dat."

“It took me an hour to remember who Gaz was when he came back,” Syreena admitted.

“Den mebbie ju forget a liddle,” Aderlee said.

“I think it's deeper than that, Aderlee,” Lupin said. “She forgot who I was when she came back, too.”

“Do I act different since I've been back?” Syreena asked. “The Commander said I do.”

“I don't notice, aside from forgetting things,” Lupin answered.

"Did ju try a vision quest?" Aderlee asked her. She shook her head, but said she thought that might be what Awatu had in mind. Aderlee went on to give a few details. “Yah! Ju don't eat fah a few days, take a liddle juice, go out in de desert and den-“ he paused, reaching over to tap Syreena on the forehead. “Sometimes de tird eye opens.”

“Third eye?” Syreena asked. Aderlee bobbed his head, but the little rogue looked to Lupin. “What is he talking about?”

“Weird troll magic?” Lupin asked. “I don’t know. I know only of two eyes.”

Aderlee rolled his eyes. "It's not an eye like de odda two." He pressed his hands together and tapped his fingers. "Mebbie ju 'ave ta experience it tah undahstand. Ju see tings dat ju won't see oddawise-" He cut himself off to glance at Khorvis, who had just entered, and dipped his head. The others fell silent on the topic as well as Khorvis asked about drinks.
Syreenna
Irredeemable

A few days later, Syreena received a note from Makuni. She fidgeted from foot to foot as she absorbed the meaning of his words.

I hope this parchment finds you well. I have done research regarding your request, and I am hopeful that I have a solution. There is no guarantee, but I am willing to give it my best shot.

The ritual will require a few things—
Dust of disappearance
Nagrand cherries
A bottle of very potent alcohol

Let me know when you have the items and we will meet to get things under way.

Spirits guide you until we meet.

Makuni
Syreena had gathered the materials within a few days, but she stalled anyway.

She met Makuni on the goblin beach of Warspear for details about the ritual. It would be a spirit walk, as Aderlee had predicted.

Makuni said it would be like reliving the experiences she wanted to remember, which didn’t do much to comfort the little rogue. What if she was being tortured or hurt in the memories? She asked him as much, and he assured her she would feel no pain. It would be like watching someone else, and he would call on his own spirit animal—a storm crow—to guide her.

Syreena told him she still needed more time.

She was not looking forward to revisiting her time as a captive of the Alliance. Prisoners were helpless and defeated and weak, and she didn’t want to see herself that way. Grims were not helpless and defeated and weak. Grims did not get captured by the Alliance and have their memories erased either.

She also expected to see missing memories of Grims, who obviously were not with them anymore. Would it feel like losing them again?

In truth, though she hadn’t admitted it to anyone, she was afraid. What would she learn in this ritual—about the people who held her, about old Grims, about herself?

Finally, after several days, there was no reason to put it off any longer. She was as ready as she’d ever be. She would find Makuni and tell him it was time.
Greebo

Unread post by Greebo »

(( time to reject his offer and go with Greebo's far more exciting opportunity ))
Grisbault, Twice-Made.
The p, s, l, and t are silent, the screams are not.
Syreenna
Irredeemable

“Welcome,” Makuni said as Syreena rode up to the gates of his garrison. After she greeted him in return and rode inside, he ordered the guards to secure the gates. He bid the little rogue to follow him, and after she watched the closing gate lock them inside, she followed him to the banks of a river where they dismounted.

“Are you sure you are ready?” he asked her. “Once we start, there is no turning back.”

Syreena fidgeted nervously, but she was determined to try this. She nodded. "There's no reason to wait."

“Excellent. Do you have the items I requested?” Makuni asked. Syreena gave him a saddle bag she had taken off her horse. “Thank you. They will be needed soon enough.

“First, to cleanse yourself,” Makuni instructed. “You will need to bathe in the river that flows behind me.”

“Okay...,” Syreena responded as she looked at the water. It would be cold, but that wasn’t what gave her pause. “Should I take some armor off?”

“All of it,” he confirmed with a nod. “Nothing binding at all. I have a cloth robe waiting for you when you come out.”

Syreena hesitated at the thought of being so vulnerable. Makuni extended a hand and placed it on her shoulder. “You are safe here,” he assured her once more. She nodded, pulling her gloves from her bony hands. He turned around to allow her a bit of privacy.

Piece by piece, she removed all of her armor, weapons, and garments until she stood naked on the frozen ground next to the pile of protective belongings. She paused and looked at Makuni, who still had his back to her. Then she jumped into the water. It was cold, but the chill brought no discomfort to the Forsaken.

When she emerged from the water a few minutes later, she walked up behind Makuni and asked softly, “Now what?”

The druid smiled as he turned, handing her a robe. “Put that on and follow me.” When they came to a small building, Makuni spoke to the guard standing near the door. “None enter this building.”

When they entered the building, Makuni told Syreena to get comfortable, so she sat quietly on an animal hide rug, and Makuni closed the door. He placed the items she brought on a table, speaking aloud to explain the process to her. “First, we will prepare the dust. This will help your spirit leave your body.”

“Leave...,” Syreena started with a small frown, but she stopped herself. “Oh, I guess that's why it's called a spirit walk.”

Makuni smiled and nodded. He knelt in front of the little rogue and coated her with the dust. She sat still through it, watching him intently.

“Next, we will stoke the fire and get it rather hot,” he explained. “From there, we will smother the fire and produce steam. You will sweat like never before.”

"I don't really sweat....Forsaken..." She shrugged slightly.

“Have faith,” he said simply as he knelt before the fire, working it into a blaze, and then he threw a rock into it. He picked up the Nagrand cherry, and cut it into pieces before laying the fruit on a plate and placing it near the fire. “An offering....to the spirit that we are calling--the storm crow.

“When I smother the fire and the steam begins to rise, allow yourself to relax,” Makuni said. “Focus on the form of the crow. Ask that he come to guide you on your journey. If he finds your offering sufficient, and if I have prepared things correctly, he will come. You may then ask him to guide you back through time. Allow you to see the past.”

“Will you be with me the whole time?” Syreena asked.

“It will be between you and him at that point,” Makuni said. “I will be there. Beside the two of you. Are you ready?”

After Syreena nodded, Makuni lit a woven bundle of sweetgrass before placing it in a conch shell. The sweet smell of the grass soon filled the small building, and then the druid knelt down in front of the fire. He smothered it, and the room went dark except for the faint glow of the rocks. Water hissed as it was poured over the hot rocks, and the humidity rose inside the room.

“Relax,” Makuni said softly as he sat on the floor across from her. “Breathe in the sweetgrass. Focus.”

Syreena watched Makuni closely, reminding herself to trust him and the Shu'halo customs. After a moment, she nodded ever so slightly to herself and closed her eyes lightly. Her mind would not clear immediately. She was wearing only a robe for physical protection, and her blades were not in reach. Her spirit would be separated from her body soon. If this worked. She would soon see the disturbing scenes of herself as a prisoner.

She concentrated on the humid warmth of the room, and the scent of the burning sweetgrass, and the image of the stormcrow, until all the other troublesome thoughts were eventually pushed away. She had no idea how much time had passed, or even whether it was minutes or hours, but she was finally able to relax. When the stormcrow was the only thing left in her mind, she spoke. “Storm crow, I ask that you guide me on a journey.”

“To your left,” Makuni said. “Do you hear the wings flapping?”

Syreena tilted her head toward the door and listened. She nodded. “I hear it.”

“Go to him,” Makuni said. “Leave your body and go to him.”

"How?" she whispered.

“Take my hand,” he said, reaching for her hand. When she wrapped her fingers around his, he called for the spirits to take them both.

“Look behind you, on the floor,” Makuni said. “Your body is there. Safe. Waiting for your return when the journey has ended.”

Syreena opened her eyes and twisted to look behind her, tilting her head curiously at her body lying there. She started to wonder what would happen to it if she didn't make it back, but she pushed the thought out of her mind and looked back to Makuni.

“It is your time,” Makuni said. “Ask of the crow what it is you wish.”

Syreena looked to the left again. "I want to see what happened to me. Everything....from the night Tes was captured at Bladefist Bay to the night the sisters burned me in their dungeon.”
Syreenna
Irredeemable

“Tes has been captured by Eternal Aegis.”
”I know where their base is. Fenris Keep.”

“I came to help free Tes. What’s taking so long?”
"SURPRISE BITCH!"
“Apprehend her!”
”Excellent, then you will take Tesonnii’s place?”
“I’m not even going to feel bad about what Sym’s going to do to you.”
“Stop. There is no honor in this.”
“I will return within two days. Stay strong. I will not forget this. I knew there was goodness in you. The maggot remembers the corpse.”
“I want three guards with rifles and Super Sticky Glitter Bombs in here at all times. SHE DOES NOT ESCAPE.”

“I’m going to kill who you are. I’m going to strip you of your identity, and use you. You will be my little weapon. My pretty little weapon. You will kill The Grim.”

“I entered your mind looking for what to erase next. If you’re not going to save her, I will!”
“Who?”
“The little waitress.”

“You can save her, or you can destroy me. At the rate she’s fading, you won’t have time to do both.”

"So...what? You're going to erase my mind and then let her punish me for something I won't remember? Seems kinda backwards..."

“I've tried to tell you. I don't think it's in you to understand. That's fine. But justice is justice for everyone. Even murderers. Even people with no good left in them. Otherwise, it's nothing at all.”

“Fine. Hang me then. Be done with it. I’m tired of your games.”
“Not until your trial. But as a Forsaken you won't die without damage to your brain, sweet cheeks. I’ll be sure to inform the executioner of this fact.”

“I will make sure to kill an innocent little girl every day and send her head to you. Along with a kitten.”

“Heard what the fuck ye did. An' I’m going to tell ye this. Ye dunnae want me hunting ye doon further.”

“Ze point of ze Tower is zhat zhere IS a purpose for ze destruction. Zhat is... for ze old tower is broken. Corrupted. Built on bad foundation. And it is only through destroying ze bad building can vone build anew, vith new, better foundation. Rebuild after destruction. No matter how swift ze destruction may be. Zhat... is ze meanin' behind ze card you hold.”

“One last story, little rogue. You won't remember any of this.”
“The next time I see you I will not be so kind.”
“Why wouldn't I erase her memory of the Grim before her execution? Sanctuary will never know.”

"Yes, you took me...you stabbed me, you cut me, you pried my nails from my hand. you -tortured- me, and I want to know why?!"
"I don't remember why...."
“Liar!”

“Oh your precious Grim. They will fall. I promise you that.”

"They may take you from me, but I will see you dead! Not even your precious Grim can save you."
"Will that ease your pain?”
“Immensely.”
“Will that make your hand grow back? Heal the scar on your shoulder? Remove the memory of that orc?”

“This might hurt more if you actually had two fists to beat me with.”
"I know choking won't do anything either, but I do know that you dead bitches love the Light so much!"

“Syreena…I am so sorry it took as long as it did.”
“You left me there.”
“I did not intend to.”

“I don’t have a guild. How do you know my name?”
“I've known you for ten years, Syreena!”

“You are safe, Syreena, but I do not know for how much longer. May we please depart?”
“Yes, let's go......grab her....we're going back to the Grim garrison.”

“They wiped it.....she has holes....There is no Grim...there is no Eternal Aegis..... It's like...... It wasn't even done by a shadowpriest....what the hell did it......?"

“Eternal Aegis will suffer for this. As it lies within my power, I swear it.”

Makuni squeezed Syreena’s hand. “Welcome back. Open your eyes.”

She focused on him as her lids lifted. It was over, but she made no attempt to move yet, still reeling from the voices, the images, the feelings, as she again lived through the most terrifying event in over a decade as a Grim and Forsaken. But there was no time to rest, not yet.

“Quickly....follow me,” Makuni ordered as he stood. He flung open the door and went outside. Syreena scrambled to her feet and went with him. “Into the cold water. Jump!”

The little rogue turned to the river and jumped in, as did Makuni. She slid out of the robe, letting the cold water rinse the dust from her, and then they climbed up to shore.

“You are back. Whole....well....in as good a shape as you were when you departed,” Makun said, smiling and sort of blushing at his words. “You may dry off and dress. The ceremony is complete.”

Syreena nodded slowly, as she began pulling on her clothing and armor. He gaze was blank, slowly looking back and forth, not seeing what was in front of her, but rather, exploring her mind. She felt that some of the holes had been filled. “More whole than when I departed, actually.”

Makuni smiled. "Then it worked"

She narrowed her eyes at one particular memory as she strapped on her blades. "The waitress...."

Makuni spoke before she could say more on the subject. “The vision you had was yours alone. Though I was there, I could not see or hear. I merely walked beside the two of you.”

Syreena nodded, looking slightly relieved. She had been a prisoner through those visions—chained, helpless, and frightened—and she had no desire for any Grim to see her in such a state.

“I shall not ask of details nor do I have any to give,” Makuni said. “Your memories are only yours.”

“You may ask what you will,” she told him. “The memories are with me again because of you.”

“Perhaps in time, when you have sorted them out...we will talk,” he said. “For now…reflect on them.”

Syreena smiled warmly at him. He was right, of course. She had much to process. “I am grateful for your help. I will not forget it.”

“It was all I could do. You needed help and I was able to give it. We are family.....right?”

"Right,” Syreena agreed.

“So..what is next for you? If I might ask.”

“Well...the human has something that belongs to me,” Syreena answered. “I don't want him to have it. I intend to either get it back....or destroy it.”

"Your journey now has a direction,” Makuni said. “May the spirit guide you. Know that if you need help, you only need to ask. It is your journey, but not one that you must face alone.” He pulled from his pack a conch shell and some sweetgrass and handed it to her. “Use it....if you need it. It will help you focus. Meditate on your journey if you lose your direction. Offer the smoke to the four winds….north, south, east, and west. Hold the shell high to the heavens and place it on the ground before you. Breathe in the smoke.”

Syreena nodded her understanding as she carefully put the items in her pack.

“You are welcome to stay as long as you like,” Makuni said. “The guards will allow your exit whenever you are ready. For now…my garrison is yours.”

“Thank you. I should probably go. No rest for the wicked.”

“Duty calls,” he agreed. “For the Mandate. Until we meet again.”

“Thank you again,” Syreena said as she mounted up and turned her horse to leave. “I am in your debt.” She inclined her head deeply and rode off.

((Quotes mostly taken from The Shard))