Musings of a druid...

The stories and lives of the Grim. ((Roleplaying Stories and In Character Interactions))
Makuni

Musings of a druid...

Unread post by Makuni »

Ensconced in the grove, Makuni settled down next to a small camp fire. His gaze turned from the dancing flames to the stars illuminating the night sky. His eyes drifted from the heavens toward the horizon, finally settling on the star’s reflections twinkling on the water’s surface to the east. This grove was special. This was where he first made contact with Lilliana of the Grim.  His meeting was not your traditional face to face meeting. He found the power here to reach out, through the plants themselves, to find the Grim...and eventually Lilliana. There was a power here that he felt nowhere else in Azeroth. The druid bowed his head and drifted into a meditative state…a state of reflection…a state of becoming one with nature itself.

“I am Shu’halo. I am proud. I bow to no one. Somehow, I found myself humbled in their presence. The overwhelming feeling of distrust, that each member of the Grim had a few nights ago, strengthens my resolve. That distrust betrays them. It gives away how deeply they care about their ranks. They are indeed a tribe….a family.” The Tauren, head still bowed and eyes closed, allowed a toothy grin to sprawl across his face. “They are more than that. They are Grim.” The grin gave way to a more contemplative look. “This will be my new tribe. I feel it with my entire being. Now, to gain their trust…”

As if on cue, a voice entered his mind, “We need to talk. Tomorrow or the day following.” It was Lilliana. Makuni allowed his mind to answer “So it shall be. The spirits shall guide us to a time and place.” The connection was gone. As quickly as it came, it disappeared. Makuni opened his eyes and stared into the flames.
Makuni

Re: Musings of a druid...

Unread post by Makuni »

Back in the comfort of the grove, Makuni poked at his campfire with a stick. The dancing flames spewed forth tiny embers that drifted lazily in the evening breeze. His mind, a whirlwind of thoughts from his meeting with Lilliana earlier this evening, was relentless in its quest to keep him from sleep. The Tauren leaned back against a tree and sighed.

"The path that was laid before me this evening is unlike any I have traveled before. Khorvis thinks it wise to give me a task that I am seasons away from being capable of doing, yet he still demands it." The Tauren snarled and threw the stick into the fire causing an eruption of embers to spew forth into the night sky. "Is this what it means to be Grim or am I merely fodder to them? I have bled for my tribe and the machine that is the Horde. I have lost all that I once held dear to me and now I am a puppet for a clearly deranged orc." Makuni sat silently for hours staring at the flames. His snarl slowly melting into a stern resolve. "So it shall be. If he expects the impossible then I will find a way to accomplish it or die in the process."

Makuni rose and kicked dirt onto the fire...extinguishing his only source of light. He paused for a moment to allow his eyes to adjust to the night sky and ran for the cliff. One moment there was soil beneath his hooves and the next there was nothing. He was falling. Makuni smiled as he plummeted toward the ground below and closed his eyes. He felt his arms become lighter and the air begin to lift them. The falling sensation stopped as his body finished its transformation in mere seconds.

Silently through the night sky flew the form of a storm crow...in search of alliance flesh...for Khorvis.
Lilliana

Unread post by Lilliana »

((oooooooooooooooooooooo))
Makuni

Unread post by Makuni »

* A crow lands near Lilliana and flaps it's wings wildly to get her attention. The crow releases a parchment that was clutched tightly in its talons and begins to fly away. The parchment reads...*

Inquisitor,

I felt the need to inform you that my training has come to an end. It is time for me to face my trial. I will stop briefly at my garrison to make sure everything is in order and, in the even that I do not return, my foreman will have instructions on how to handle my garrison. I then leave for Ashran.

If within 2 weeks my foreman hasn't heard from me, he will be instructed to do the following:
1. Send all supplies to The Grim.
2. Call in my followers and workers and relocate them to a suitable home.
3. He will then burn my garrison to the ground.

I can not stand the thought of it being overrun and my people being enslaved, tortured or slaughtered by the alliance. I will also not have the garrison be used against the horde. It is best it returns to ash if I am not there to protect it. He is to give me 2 weeks time...not a day more. At that point, I am to be considered dead.

I do not fear this task or its outcome. The spirits have guided me along this path and now I face another challenge. I will succeed or I will join my ancestors and perhaps guide someone from the afterlife.

If you have not heard from me within 14 days, know that I have failed to retrieve Khorvis' desired treasure.

Peace through annihilation.
Makuni
Lilliana

Lilliana was sitting by herself when the crow found her. She ignored it at first, for birds were known for doing stupid things. Maybe something had injured it earlier, and it had fallen from the sky to die behind her or something. But the winged creature was persistent, and finally she turned around.

"Oh, you have something for me......." But the bird was already flying away. Her childish face scrunched up in disappointment, "Rude thing." And she snatched up the parchment, unrolling it to read.

She read out a particular line, "I am to be considered dead." She snorted, "You ain't good to us if that happens.....! And Khorvis will be soooooooooooooooooooooo annoyed if he doesn't get dinner. Hmmm."

The priestess rolled the parchment back up tightly. She stuffed it into her leather satchel and sat back down. Alone as she was, the sun was just barely raising over the sky in Nagrand. She was just feet from a small lake, and had been watching the fish swim to and fro in front of her as they wakened.

"You're a pretty brave Tauren." She grinned, then gathered her things and left. She would find Makuni in Ashran. He wouldn't be doing this alone.
Makuni

Unread post by Makuni »

They both were battered, bruised and completely exhausted when they arrived in camp. The distance from the forward base to Warspear Camp only took minutes but it took everything the pair had to make it. Makuni slid off of the kodo's back and collapsed on the ground. As he sat there, head bowed, he heard the rhythmic thumping of the kodo’s hooves fading into the distance. Using his staff for support, Makuni rose to watch the magnificent creature disappear over the rise. He knew Thunder was tired and deserved his freedom. There would be no use for a stable tonight.

Makuni named the beast after the roaring thunder he often heard during the summer storms on the plains of Mulgore. The elders taught him that the thundering sound was actually kodo spirits racing across the sky. Thus, during Makuni’s rite of passage, he selected that name for the creature. Thunder had been fiercely loyal and always answered when called. Makuni was not concerned with catching up to the kodo tonight.

With the last of his strength, Makuni stumbled to the side of the Warspear Bank and collapsed. He had hoped to make it to the inn, or at least to a hut, but this would have to do. This piece of earth would be his bed.

The fighting this evening had been the fiercest yet and still his goal eluded him. Makuni thought to himself “The alliance leaders. How can Khorvis insist on something so daunting for a supplicant?” Makuni knew that if he managed to kill the 3 targets that someone else would step forward to take their place. That’s how the alliance worked. Only one solution would stop them… total annihilation. “Perhaps” Makuni thought, “beheading the leaders wouldn’t end the war but it might allow the horde a moment of advantage.” Perhaps that was what Khorvis was hoping for. Makuni shook his head and began applying a bandage to one of the gashes in his arm. The blow was a deep one, not life threatening, but it would heal more quickly with the bandage. Makuni then dug his fingers into the earth and softly chanted.

As he sat in the healing warmth of nature’s embrace, he replayed the events from the battles. Tonight, he had gotten closer to accomplishing his task than ever before. The leader of the horde war party used a side entrance, one less heavily guarded and unknown to Makuni, to breach the alliance defenses. That was clever and could prove useful in future attacks. However, when the alarm sounded, alliance troops rushed out of Stormshield like a tidal wave. It was relentless and powerful. Makuni, so engrossed in protecting his allies, either missed the command to retreat or there simply wasn’t one to miss. He stood alone in the chaos with a simple choice. Retreat or be pulled below by the undertow of the alliance wave. He retreated in the hopes of fighting another day. It was a tactical decision but one that left a bitter taste in his mouth. His escape from Stormshield wasn’t without it’s cost. He was frozen, electrocuted, slashed and stabbed. “Survive…Run!” was the only thought that raced through his mind during the barrage. Ignoring the pain, Makuni raced through Ashran to the safety of the horde’s forward camp.

As the battles faded from his mind, Makuni realized that he would only accomplish his task by aligning with others like him. Fighting the alliance was one thing. The war party this evening did that very well but his task, Khorvis’ prize, was something more. Makuni knew that he had to unite with those that would push past the onslaught. He knew that he could not stand alone in this challenge. He then reached for his hearthstone to contact Lilliana for help.

With a weak voice he simply stated, "The task can not be accomplished with those that I find here. I need real warriors. I need the Grim. Please send help." The mighty Tauren then allowed himself to finally sleep.
Makuni

Unread post by Makuni »

As Makuki was checking his gear, preparing for another day of battle in Ashran, a voice called from behind him "eh mon, ju be needin' elp in Ashran?" Makuni didn't have to turn around to know it was Aderlee, a Troll priest of the Grim. Makuni had heard of Aderlee's prowess in battle but had yet to see him in action. Makuni turned and welcomed the priest to his side. Makuni thought to himself, "Today, might very well be the day." He nodded and grabbed the reigns of his kodo.

As the duo rode into the horde's forward camp, a familiar face appeared before them. It was Rizquirkk. As if he had been listening, and knew that Makuni needed help, the goblin stepped forward to offer his assistance. Makuni didn't know Rizquirkk well. He had seen him during a couple of inquisitions, but other than that the goblin mage would be a wildcard in the battle this day. To Makuni, the mage meant another ally against the overwhelming odds he faced in this trial. Truthfully, he expected the mage to be nothing short of brilliant. Afterall, he was Grim and that is what Makuni wanted to be as well. What he knew for certain was that his chances of success had exponentially increased with these two Grim by his side.

The trio made their way through Ashran, carefully avoiding alliance scouting parties and modifying Makuni's original plan as they rode. The new plan meant ascending a broken wall on the side of Stormshield. Chris Clarkie would be the objective. Once they reached their destination, the three quickly put the plan into action. More than a few alliance members streamed forth to aid Clarkie, the SI:7 operative, but they were not going to be strong enough to hold back the assault. Clarkie died at the hands of the Grim trio moments later. Staying only long enough for Makuni to gather proof of the operative's death, the Grim trio disappeared into the shadows of Ashran...seeking blood.

The stillness at the mouth of the Alliance mine was shattered by the explosion of spells and the clashing of weapons. A whirlwind of magical energy engulfed the small camp and all that were foolish enough to stand and fight died. The guards...dead. The alliance that came to help...dead. Harrison Jones...dead. Makuni knelt down and took his prize. Two down, one to go.

The three had not planned on the complexity of Ecilam's defense. The mage leader was heavily entrenched behind the walls of Stormshield and would not be an easy target. The trio positioned themselves outside of the front wall of Stormshield and prepared to bring the battle into the camp. Makuni , taking on the form of a crow, flew forward and called forth a moonbeam from the sky. The fight was on. Aderlee shielded the retreating druid and a torrent of arcane magic errupted from Rizquirkk. Slowly the Grim trio put down the forces protecting Ecilam and then focused their attacks on the mage leader. Then, there was blackness.

Makuni woke to the voice of his companions "we got your prize mon, ju gonna be ok." Makuni shook his head and tried to clear his mind. The blow he took could have killed him...but today, wouldn't be day he joined his ancestors. The Tauren grinned and wiped the blood from his snout. It was his blood. He had bled for the mandate.
Attachments
HarrisonJones2.png
HarrisonJones2.png (169.89 KiB) Viewed 6167 times
ChrisClarkie2.png
ChrisClarkie2.png (182 KiB) Viewed 6167 times
Last edited by Makuni on Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aderlee
Lost

Unread post by Aderlee »

Makuni

Unread post by Makuni »

Makuni emerged from the forest carrying three sturdy tree limbs on his shoulder and dragging a bloody bag beside him. His proud gait was accentuated by a smug look of satisfaction. Truthfully, he was relieved that this part of his trial was finally over. What he believed was going to take less than two weeks to complete had taken weeks longer. Still swirling in the back of his mind were the instructions that he had given his foreman before departing for Ashran over 4 weeks ago. “If within 2 weeks you have not heard from me, send all of the garrison supplies to the Grim, rehome the workers and followers and then burn the garrison to the ground.” Makuni shook his head as he walked. In hindsight, it sounded a bit harsh to him but he had to make the decision. It would be better to start over than risk the garrison falling into the wrong hands if Makuni had died in Ashran. That would be an issue to address at a later time.  For now, he had to visit Khorvis’ office once more.

Makuni had stopped by the office earlier that morning and was informed that Khorvis would be unavailable for the next few days. Not wanting to carry the bag around any longer, Makuni decided to leave its contents for the High Inquisitor. He knelt down outside of the office and cut the limbs into pieces of different lengths. He sharpened three of the limbs to fine points and laid them on the ground roughly two feet apart and parallel to each other. He then put two braces across the three pointed pieces and lashed them together…forming a crude, but stable, section of fence. Makuni then dug three small holes and put the fence in place to the right of the Khorvis’ door. He then reached into the bag and pulled forth the head of Clarkie and shoved it down onto the first spike. It settled into place nicely making a clearly audible “squish” sound. The third spike received the head of Ecilam, the alliance mage guild leader. The gnome’s smaller head made the same squishing sound as Clarkie’s, but was further accented by a cracking sound as the sharp point of the limb popped through the top of the mage’s head. Ecilam had been problematic to say the least and Makuni almost died in that battle. Something about the spike poking through the gnome’s head made Makuni chuckle. The center spike was reserved for the head of Harrison Jones. Once all three heads were in place, Makuni rummaged around in the bag and pulled forth Harrison’s hat, a hammer and a couple of nails. He placed the hat on Harrison’s head and then nailed it in place. If the wind were to blow, the hat would not fly away.

Makuni reached into his satchel and pulled out a piece of parchment, a quill and some midnight ink. He scribbled on the paper “Trophies from my hunt. They are yours to do with as you please. Your pink flesh is being kept in a strongbox in a secure location. Contact me when you are ready for it.” The tauren then signed it “Makuni.” The parchment was then nailed into place under Harrison’s head.

Makuni took a moment to admire his work, and with a nod or approval, wandered off to find his Inquisitor. He hoped that this challenge would be called complete.
Makuni

Unread post by Makuni »

The druid sat town at the table in the main hall of his garrison and, shoving the maps aside, began to write...

Inquisitor,

You were the final piece in my second trial and I thank you for taking the time to speak with me two nights ago. I am sending this to you as an official record and to give you insight into what I have learned as a result of my conversations. For my second trial, I was tasked to learn of sacrifice, duty and resolve from select Grim members. Each trait would be defined by the acts of one of the chosen Grim.

For sacrifice, I was sent to find Syreena. I heard her story of the capturing of an alliance chancellor from a very prominent guild. When the time came for negotiations, Syreena and Tesani were to meet the alliance. Tesani was captured by Eternal Aegis. Eventually Sanctuary, Tesani's former guild, stepped in arranged a swap. Tesani was released in exchange for Syreena. Her life was given in exchange for another.

For duty, I spoke with Lupinum. He informed me that there are many forms of duty and ours is to sow peace for the horde in any way that we can. We discussed that the mandate is our banner and that we are it's champion. Thus, the path that we walk is quite difficult and the burden we carry is not light. We also strolled though the graveyard to an unmarked grave stone. It was quite ordinary except for the the two daggers with a skull in the middle etched in the corner. Once Lupinum took his leave, I stayed at the grave for some time. I spent the time meditating on the mandate and the words that I had been given thus far by the Grim.

For resolve, I spoke to you. You spoke of how everyone in the Grim sacrifices something every day to stay Grim. You informed me that we have to do so to combat the dark things that we do. Your words hold truth. I see how sacrifice, duty and resolve, though they are different traits, are all tied together.

I did speak to another. Ruuki. I leaned of her past and how she was trained by her father to be a warrior. She later met Gerus and he became her mentor. The death of Gerus filled her with anger and it was through the Grim that she was able to release that anger. I also learned the meaning of her name and it's origin.

If there is more that you seek, please ask this evening at the inquisition.

Peace through Annihilation!
Makuni
Lilliana

((awesome - just saying that for now, reply later))
Makuni

Unread post by Makuni »

Makuni walked out of the inquisition with his head bowed but also with a sense of peace in the decision he had made. Ruuki had put him on the spot and asked that he tell the Grim of his third trial of the mandate. Makuni had given the trial a lot of thought, but he was not yet prepared to speak of his past in front of the Grim. With a dozen or so Grim gathered, and under the scrutinizing gaze of Ruuki and Awatu, Makuni was forced to reveal his birth right to throne of the Mistwalker tribe. He had kept this secret because he did not wish to be viewed differently than any other supplicant of the Grim. The last thing he wanted was special treatment because he was a chieftain’s son. So in that moment, with all eyes upon him, Makuni renounced his claim to the esteemed position within the Mistwalker tribe. Knowing that this would also severe the remaining bond with his father, he also renounced his family and walked away from the tribe in order to fully embrace the mandate.

Except for the occasional crackling of the fire pit, it was eerily quiet within the great hall the entire time that Makuni spoke. A couple of Grim later spoke about the level of sacrifice that Makuni had just made. Another questioned Makuni on how he now viewed himself, “Are you still royalty?” he asked. Makuni simply responded “no.” Truthfully, Makuni never viewed himself as royalty but as one of his tribe. That simple question, “Are you still royalty?” brought back memories of his childhood and his being treated differently because of his father’s position in the tribe. It left him with a bitter taste in his mouth but one he had to deal with. It was an honest question and from one that he hoped to call his brother…his Grim brother. Ruuki seemed to accept the sacrifice Makuni had offered and, with a confirming nod from Awatu, the druid stepped away from the center of the great hall to sit within the shadows.

Makuni’s mind was reeling from speaking of his mother and father. Visions of the constant arguments with the chieftain consumed his thoughts. Deep down, Makuni knew the Mistwalker tribe was getting soft and his father was to blame. He knew the tribe would continue to pack up camp and move to some less hospitable location simply to avoid conflict. Makuni could never live that way. He knew that the decision he had made was the right one and that he would ultimately be the protector of the Mistwalker tribe. The difference was, he would do it by eliminating the threats to the horde. As Lupinum had told him weeks earlier “the mandate is our banner and we are its champion.” With a slight snarl and a fire in his eye the druid quietly said “Peace through Annihilation.”

Makuni raised his head and pushed the thoughts away…focusing on the supplicant that was standing in the center of the great hall…