Message of Intent [Open]

The stories and lives of the Grim. ((Roleplaying Stories and In Character Interactions))
Kerala

Message of Intent [Open]

Unread post by Kerala »

((This story continues from Kerala's Inquisition, where Lupinum is done being Mr. Nice Priest, and invades Kerala's mind to try and get some answers a week later. She does not react well to being forced: ))

To the left of the winding road leading to the front gates of the Grim guild walls, there stands a scraggly tree, and a smaller scrub bush. They grow in a depression in the ground, almost invisible from the roadway, and most certainly from the walls. It's not quite the normal place for those who hope to wear the black and red colors to leave their inventive and sometimes grisly messages declaring their intent to join the guild, but it's also not the first time those poor bits of wood had been used to display things like that, nor would it likely be the last.

The bush grows around a large boulder, and with it is the bare and ugly twist of a tree like the one just a short distance next to them. This one, though, had lost the underground competition for survival, and is dead.

Spiked atop the handy point of the stunted and grotesque bit of wood rests the decapitated head of a person. Already somewhat decomposed, the thing is stapled in place so that it cannot fall with the use of the poor man's jaw. The detached mandible is just the right size to encircle the branch as a wedge, trapping the flap of tongue beneath it in an effective anchor. The face is slack and expressionless, eyes closed. Long black hair flutters in the icy breezes that make their way past.

The skull is arranged so that the face, what is left of it, points toward the tree, and the man's body. This has been stripped completely nude. The corpse's pale white flesh nearly glows against the grey of the tree trunk and the dark, glistening black ropes that bind him to it. Slimy with ichor, the bindings snake around the tree and the man from his own middle. The rest of the guts not used as bindings are excavated as well, pulled out through a tiny hole beneath the belly button. The intestines curl in a knotted shining pile on the ground like terrible spaghetti.

Snow has been scraped free from the base of the tree in a tidy arc. Where it had gone is not immediately apparent, until one looks closer at the neck of the corspe. White crystals within the grisly dark interior of the torn throat gives answer to the riddle. The man's lungs have been packed tight in frozen water.

There is no note that accompanies the grotesque display. The head is not enchanted to speak some scripted message for an inquisitor. What would be the use, with the tongue pinned down like that? No, this message is not intended for the Grim.

The yellow glow of a forsaken gaze breaks the colorlessness of the scene as Lupinum opens his eyes.

((Lupinum's computer just broke after this RP, please allow him to be the first to respond, or coordinate with him before posting anything))
Last edited by Kerala on Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:17 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Gazreeth
Lost

Re: Message of Intent

Unread post by Gazreeth »

(I didn't coordinate with Lup before responding... is that bad? :P)
Kerala

Unread post by Kerala »

((Deleted post for Lupin))
Last edited by Kerala on Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lupinum
Irredeemable

Unread post by Lupinum »

All was blackness, sweet unfeeling blackness. Had he dreamt?
Lupinum thought not; frenzied hallucinations would be closer.
They had been vivid and fantastic, but nothing stuck with him. Brief spasms of color amid a heavy dark shroud. He couldn't feel his body. All the normal aches, grinds, and cracks that accompanied him were strangely absent, but this didn't bother him. After his fever dreams he was glad for the smooth walls of whatever black prison this was.
It gave him time to think.

Lupinum had an inkling that Kerala wasn't to be poked and prodded as she was, which is why it took him so long to just rip the answers from her, but it was a risk worth taking. His hamfisted approach yielded results. Lupinum had seen horrible things done to a young Taureness... such trauma... there was no doubt in Lupinum's mind that her apathy was a defense mechanism against remembering. Or perhaps a defense against being taken into such situations again. The Priest was also certain that the Grim was... an unorthodox group with whom to find solace and asylum, but Kerala's best bet for survival, none-the-less. And perhaps she sought revenge? The Grim had no qualms with that. He just hoped that his invasiveness wasn't enough to deter her away. Couldn't she see why he had to do it?

These thoughts and a myriad of others swirled through the Undead's mind while he had no sense of where he was or what happened. The rough crunch of Kerala's hoof against his temple was his last visceral memory. Everything else since then was ephemeral. Though, now that Lupinum thought back to that moment, he felt not a compression on his head but a soft caress against his cheek, cold yet loving. A smile crept along the wind burned lips of the Priest as he opened his eyes and reality came to greet him.

It was a dreary day in Tirisfal, but the sight of it lessened the shock some. Lupinum's glowing eyes followed the rough grain of the dead tree he to which was attached all while counting up the various body parts he saw. Torso and legs separated and his own innards formed some grisly binding for the rest. All present and accounted for but very much in disarray. The yellow orbs also took in the cracked grey stonework of the guild wall nearby. This elicited a muffled groan from the Priest. His tongue couldn't move. He flexed it against the wood shaft that passed through his jaw and that fleshy muscle.

Lupinum thought to himself, though rather loudly psychically speaking, "Oh for Light's sake."
He had expected abuse, but that was barbaric as well as humiliating.
"Fitting for a Grim..." he projected this thought as well with a wry grin to accompany it. Perhaps he should formulate an actually message to bring someone... Was Lilliana back yet? Who the Fel was around? And who could he trust not retaliate against Kerala. After all, it wasn't entirely her fault.

He closed his eyes again and let his mind drift off onto anything else but his current situation.
Last edited by Lupinum on Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aureilya
Lost

Unread post by Aureilya »

While speaking to Lilliana in Warspear, Shaelie turned the conversation to the drunk priest, who had been missing for an uncomfortably long period of time. She had asked about Lupinum a few times over the past few weeks, but no one had seen him. After voicing her concerns to the Inquisitor, Shaelie suggested they enlist the help of Qarosimae. Who, with her magic, had previously been able to scry the whereabouts of Lilliana, when she had been captured by Morinth. Her magical abilities had proven accurate that time. Maybe they would, again.

Lilliana and Shaelie found the mage near the tavern in Warspear. After some conversation, they approached Aaren, who had the most recent magical connection with the priest. She would act as the conduit to Qarosimae's magic.

21:17:24 Lilliana-TwistingNether is just watching.
21:17:35 You look at Qarosimae.
21:17:45 Aaren-Ravenholdt opens her eyes finally and peers at the magus.
21:18:14 [Aaren-Ravenholdt]: The only thing I can detect is just an empty landscape.
21:18:21 [Aaren-Ravenholdt]: Silence.
21:18:30 [Shaelie-TwistingNether]: When did that start?
21:20:11 [Aaren-Ravenholdt]: I haven't tried talking to him lately.
21:20:12 Aaren-Ravenholdt shrugs. Who knows?
21:20:14 [Qarosimae-TwistingNether]: I cannot shee that silence of an additional voice in my mind being a bad thing.
21:20:43 [Aaren-Ravenholdt]: I thought it was over with Morinth, but I can't place the area.
21:20:46 Aaren-Ravenholdt shrugs. Who knows?
21:20:50 [Aaren-Ravenholdt]: Somewhere I haven't been is all.
21:20:55 Vipra peers at Aaren-Ravenholdt searchingly.
21:21:06 [Shaelie-TwistingNether]: Now what..?
21:21:12 Excavator Rustshiv says: Wow, that's... surprisingly accurate.
21:21:15 [Qarosimae-TwistingNether]: I have been many places. Describe it, or possibly plant the image in my mind.
21:24:27 [Qarosimae-TwistingNether]: Can you plant the image in my mind? I cannot trace it, but your image may help.
21:25:39 Aaren-Ravenholdt ignores the people behind her and nods. She reaches forward and places her fingertips on Qarosimae's forehead. She concentrates on the image to share with the magus.
21:26:51 Qarosimae-TwistingNether looks lost in thought for a moment. She snaps her fingers. "Tirisfal. I am certain."
21:26:57 Aaren-Ravenholdt blinks at Qarosimae.
21:27:09 Shaelie-TwistingNether looked eyes on Qarosimae hopefully. "Really?"
21:27:13 [Aaren-Ravenholdt]: Anywhere specific?
21:28:10 [Qarosimae-TwistingNether]: Not near the Undercity. It seems...near the ground. In the woods.
21:28:34 Aaren-Ravenholdt tilts her head to the side, with an expression that says she hasn't been in the area for quite a while.
21:28:38 [Shaelie-TwistingNether]: Is he alive?
21:28:48 [Syreena-TwistingNether]: He's Forsaken.
21:28:51 A sly smirk spreads across Syreena's face.
21:29:33 [Qarosimae-TwistingNether]: I think I can narrow down the area. Give me a moment.
21:29:53 Lilliana-TwistingNether eyes are on Q, she looks earnest....waiting for something.
21:30:54 Qarosimae-TwistingNether pulls a map from her pouch and starts touching it, causing the image to zoom in until a detailed map of Tirisfal Glades.
21:33:46 Qarosimae-TwistingNether draws a circle on the map, in the area near Brill. "Probably in this area, based on the trees."
21:34:03 Lilliana-TwistingNether hovers over Q's shoulder, looking at the map she just drew a circle on.
21:34:11 [Shaelie-TwistingNether]: So. We go find him.
21:34:30 Syreena-TwistingNether tilts her head, watching the others.
21:34:34 [Syreena-TwistingNether]: That really worked?
21:35:41 [Qarosimae-TwistingNether]: It is a guess, but a rather better guess than I think any of you could have made with the same information.
21:35:58 Qarosimae-TwistingNether puts away the map, adjusts her glasses, and smiles slightly.
21:36:02 Shaelie-TwistingNether nodded. "It's a place to start. Thank you, Qarosimae. And Aaren."
21:36:04 Lilliana-TwistingNether nods her head at Qaraosimae.
21:36:07 [Aaren-Ravenholdt]: ... good, then.
21:36:39 [Syreena-TwistingNether]: Can it work on anyone?
21:37:13 [Aaren-Ravenholdt]: Depends.
21:37:41 [Aaren-Ravenholdt]: Having a mental connection to them helps. Depending on how strong it is.
21:37:44 Aaren-Ravenholdt shrugs. Who knows?
21:40:33 Qarosimae-TwistingNether yawns, bleches a bit of smoke, and snorts. "Well, I am exhausted and have an early day in the morning. I wish you well on your search, and if you haven't found him by tomorrow, I will attempt more pinpointed scrying on the proper plane of existence."
21:40:43 Aaren-Ravenholdt nods.
21:40:44 [Qarosimae-TwistingNether]: Good night.

Now that the group had a lead, they quickly departed to Tirisfal to search for the missing priest.
Khorvis

Unread post by Khorvis »

[[ Damn mages, with their finger wiggling! ]]
Lupinum
Irredeemable

Unread post by Lupinum »

Lupinum had no idea how long he was resting there. Carrion birds, which he normally found comforting, circled incessantly and had several times swooped down to peck at his grey skin.
He ignored the few mental probes he felt. He took this time, albeit not in a manner he would have chosen, to be alone and think. He hadn't spent much time in reflection since the Accalia business... and when he learned of Konro's death, that made things much worse.

The Priest knew that if he had had more control over his will and that curse, his friend would still be alive. Kerala would not have become a supplicant and Lupinum wouldn't be here now. This elicited a muffled chuckle from the Undead. But what the Fel had he expected? Kerala to have all the answers?
Lupinum closed his eyes and stopped his train of thought.

The wind was howling today, it whipped the loose, black hair into a frenzy. Slowly, a thrum cut through the constant whistling of the wind. It beat with a steady pattern, but it was faint.
Lupinum's upper lip curled into a smile. He felt their minds long before their mounts were in view.
How long did it take them? It doesn't even matter. A sigh escaped his mouth and was quickly lost.
It didn't matter, someone had come.
Aureilya
Lost

Shaelie sped through Tirisfal on her rocket, skimming the treetops as she searched the ground below for any signs of the missing priest. Presumably, the others were right behind her. She hadn't wasted any time taking the portal from Warspear and had taken to the air the moment she set foot in Undercity. Just like before, not so long ago, when she had ventured out to search for Lilliana- she had no real plan. But Qarosimae had been right the first time. Hopefully she was right this time, as well.

Shaelie had gotten a look at the map and the circled area Q had indicated. It was very close to the guild hall- a place she didn't often travel to now that they had the Garrison in Frostfire Ridge. But it made sense why Lupinum was out this way. Still, he had made it this close to the guild hall.. why did he not reach it? What had happened along the way.

Down below, she spotted something. A darker shape against the trees. She angled her rocket downwards, reaching ground not far from the sight. But what she saw caused her to suck in a deep gasp of shock.. She fumbled for her communicator that linked her to the rest of The Grim and barked into it, her voice strained. "HELP. I found Lupinum, and I need a mender here right now! I'm just off the path leading to the guild hall in Tirisfal... it might be too late.."

(Giving whoever followed a chance to respond here.. Lilliana, Syreena! And anyone else who followed, this RP is open.)
Kerala

Unread post by Kerala »

((suspenseful 'Duh duh DUH!'))
Syreenna
Irredeemable

Unread post by Syreenna »

Syreena followed on her horse, Bones. She kept her eye on the rocket above as she rode through Tirisfal. When she heard the Shaelie's cry for help on the stone, she kicked Bones in the ribs and raced to catch up to the elf.

The little rogue yanked on the skeletal horse's mouth, bringing him to a stop when she saw what Shaelie was looking at.

She saw the pieces--Forsaken body parts--in the place the mage told them Lupinum could be found. Her expression darkened as realization dawned on her.

"Is this Lu-," she began. She trailed off as her gaze came to rest on Lupin's head, and her golden eyes widened. "Lupin! What happened? Did you upset the Commander?"

Just as a scavenger bird was about to land on one of his legs, Syreena hurled a small dagger at the creature, which fell to the ground and flopped around for a moment before becoming still. Unable to stand seeing her friend in pieces, even though Shaelie had called for a healer, the little rogue began tugging on a leg to drag it to his torso, trying to put him back together.
Alts: Lirsha Deathwhistle & Ayidda
Aureilya
Lost

Syreena wrote:
"Is this Lu-," she began. She trailed off as her gaze came to rest on Lupin's head, and her golden eyes widened. "Lupin! What happened? Did you upset the Commander?"
(This really made me laugh!)
Lupinum
Irredeemable

Unread post by Lupinum »

The roar of the rocket speeding so close over head was deafening. Lupinum had a silly looking grin on his face when he saw Syreena, but he couldn't hear her. He was rescued, torn apart and nature ravaged, but again in the company of a Sister. He watched as she dragged a leg, which was until recently little more than a chew bone for the wild wolves, back towards the amassed body parts. He was thankful, but a little confused why she would leave his head here and himself mute.

His eyes moved skyward as he watched the small personnel rocket descend. Shaelie's pink Elf skin practically shone in the Tirisfal's eternal twilight when she leapt from the cockpit. Two Grim... Lupinum was thinking to himself. This is good, but neither are a mender... and I couldn't possibly fix this myself... Hope rolled over into despair. He was a safe pile of half rotted meat, no good without someone to put the pieces together. Maybe one of them was a tailor?
He grunted to himself and waited.
Aureilya
Lost

Is he alive?? Shaelie wasn't sure that even a forsaken could survive the grisly scene that she saw before her. She doubted.. but then, she saw movement. As Syreena dragged the leg towards what was left of Lupinum's corpse, she saw him smile. Impossibly, as his head was severed from the rest of his body. But he smiled.

She couldn't speak. The words felt trapped in her throat. But she had to make herself useful while they waited for help to arrive. She started to dig some healing potions from her pack, but what could would they do? Lupinum's insides were on the outside, strung around his body and wrapped around the tree her was bound to. His head was severed from his shoulders. His limbs were scattered about. Could even the most powerful of healers fix this?

She moved to Syreena's side, her eyes questioning the rogue. What should I do?
Kerala

Unread post by Kerala »

Lomani's evening was turning out to be quite eventful, as trips to Warspear tended to be for her. Getting cursed, meeting new people, and now, it seemed she'd learned of a mystery.

Lupinum of the Grim, a healer, was missing. Syreena and an elf woman were trying to find him. Lilliana was there, and the elf priestess. Lomani watched them speaking to a mage, and it seemed they found out the area where he was. The Grims went dashing off immediately. Tirisfal, hmm?

She had nothing pressing to do, and now she was curious. The seer fetched her kodo, and decided to follow. ShiningSun seemed excited enough to be urged to a gallop, and the thick kodo took off after the Grim. She didn't have unlimited endurance like an undead horse, and she certainly was no match for a machine, but Shiningsun luckily didn't have to keep up that pace for very long.

Lomani arrived to find the two women reassembling a corpse that had been torn apart. Earthmother's eyes! What had happened? The seer didn't waste time asking questions. Syreena would know she was only here to help. Lomani Leaped right from Shiningsun's saddle, yanking herself across the distance toward the Forsaken's head.

Poor Lupinum had been stapled to the tree with his own jaw, and he clearly would have been able to see whatever had happened to his body. She knew Forsaken were a tough people, they'd lived through their own deaths... but this?

She couldn't even imagine.

Ordinarily, she would have tried to say something soothing, something calming and reassuring. But she looked at Lupinum, and his expression, what could be seen of it, was clearly just happy to see someone, especially Syreena. So she said the first thing that came to mind. "Well, that's you all over!"

Lomani began to pry Lupinum's jaw loose from the tree. As soon as the undead's tongue could slip free, it did. "Ah!" the seer gasped. She abandoned the attempt to unwedge the metal jaw, dropped the dagger she'd been prying with, and reached to try and catch Lupinum's falling head.
Lupinum
Irredeemable

Unread post by Lupinum »

Lupinum's head landed safetly in Lomani's hands, thankfully, who knows what kind of bugs are crawling around. His eyes flicked from the dull iron of his lower jaw still attatched to the tree to the Taureness holding him. He couldn't have laughed at her comment even if he wanted to.
"O' 'El." The priest attempted to speak, but his tongue flopped around uselessly.

Lupinum was nearly in tears with helplessness. He couldn't talk, couldn't fix himself, and no one to blame but himself and his incessant curiosity. He had seen Lomani around from time to time, but never spent much time with her and he furiously hoped that she was adept in the Light.

Lupinum's thoughts rolled around in his head, mainly centering on "SOMEONE PUT ME THE FEL BACK TOGETHER!"
Lupinum looked from Lomani to Syreena and Shaelie. How many people would it take to get him back to normal?