A tale from the Fall Feast.

The stories and lives of the Grim. ((Roleplaying Stories and In Character Interactions))
Hektar
Lost

A tale from the Fall Feast.

Unread post by Hektar »

I shall tell you the tale of an orc of old, from a time long before the Rise of the Horde and the treachery of Gul'dan.

Many years ago upon the plains of Nagrand the Wandering Axe Clan of the Orcs lived a nomadic life, they sustained themselves through the hunt. Clefthoof and talbuk were staples of their diet. As such the role of hunter was of great importance. It is of no suprise then that all the young orcs of the clan wished to become part of the hunt, and earn their place as a hunter of the clan.  One such young one was Grendak son of the great hunter Nak'tar Swiftspear.

Grendak had wished to join the hunt from the day he could walk, but knew that only when he had grown strong and proven himself that he would be taken. And se he practiced day after day with the spear. Learning to throw and to stab at his enemies.  By his sixteenth summer he was clearly the largest and strongest of the youth among the clan and he was sure he would be taken on the spring Clefthoof hunt.  Clefthoof are docile by nature, but when provoked can become vicious prey.

The night before the hunt Grendak approached his father "I am stronger and faster than any other boy in the Clan." He proclaimed.  "I am ready to join the hunters."

Swiftspear looked his son up and down and responded to his claim "You are the biggest, you are the storngest, but you are not ready." Grendak began to proests but was quickly silenced by the back of his fathers hand. Grendak watched the next day as the hunters set out, many boys weaker and slower than he among them.  He thought his father to be unfair, worried that his son would become a greater hunter than he. He was right Grendak was sure of it.

And so in the following year Grendak practiced in secret, far from camp where his father would not see his prowess. When the time came again for the hunt to occur Grendak once again approcahed his father, proclaiming he was prepared for the hunt. Once again his father rejected his claim, and once again when Grendak objected he was struck down. Again Grendak watched as boys inferior to him were taken on the hunt and his rage only increased. Again he spent a year training in secret.

The following hunt, Grendak was a mature 18 summers in age and was sure he would be taken. When his proclomation was again met with denial Grendak was enraged,  Late that night he set out to show his father. Taking with him only a spear Grendak set out to slay a clefthoof himself, and prove he was the greatest hunter his clan woul dever know. Grendak wandered for hours trying to find his prey, the drakness making the task all the more difficult.

The sun was beginning to rise when he finally happened upon a lone Clefthoof in a clearing.  Grendak was exhausted from searching all night but was sure he could take the beast and so he charged from the bushes, spear at the ready and went for the kill. The clefthoof heard the orcs heavy foot falls and turned on him, Realzing the danger it lowered his head and charged. Grendaks momentum was too much to and the clefthoof ran him over, crushing him beneath its weight and leaving him alone and wounded.

Grendak lay upon the grass for several minutes before he heard noise from the nearby bushes. A predator no doubt, or even an ogre the orc thought. His time was at an end upon this world and there was nothing he could do about it. It was shocking then that he saw emerge from the bushes an orc, his hair greay and his eyes so white in conrast to his brown skin. "Who is there?" The orc asked. He wandered forward using a staff to find his way across the terrain. Clearly he was blind

Grendak was in far too much pain to respond but the old orc made his way to his side and knelt down. "Seems you had a run in with a Clefthoof my young freind. Worry not the ancestors are not yet done with you" Grendak tried to speak out but blood only poured from his mouth.

Placing his hands upon the young orcs chest the old one began to chant.  Grendak began to feel the pain slip away and his body was being mended. Th eold one was a shaman, that much was lcearm and wone of significant power as well. Only minutes after the old orc began his chants Grendak felt as strong as he ever had. He sprang to his feet, took up his spear and began looking for signs of the clefthoofs direction "Thank you old one, but I must now be off." he said.

The old orc laughed. "Perhaps I should come too, to heal your wounds when you are defeated again?" Grendak looked angry and hurt at the same time "I am the strongest, fastest hunter ever!" He proclaimed. The old orc answered calmly. "Strong and fast? I have no doubt. But a hunter? No. You are no hunter. A hunter is more than this" the old orc flexed his biceps, clearly strong despite his age. 

"A hunter is this" he poked his finger into Grendaks head. "I must be off, return to your people and think on what I have said" with that the old man wandered back into the brush leaving Grendak alone once again. He wandered back to his village arriving after dark to find the hunt had been good. While his people feasted on Clefthoof he could not. The shame of his failure overwhelmed him.

Through the next year the orc thought on what he had been told by the blind shaman, still he trained every day but he also spent many hours staring into the river near his home trying to decide how he could train his head.

Finally the time of the hunt was once again upon the clan and Grendok once again approcahed Swiftspear. The father glared at his son "No doubt you are hear to tell me you are ready to hunt?" His father asked.

"No" his boy responded, bowing his head in respect, "I am ready to learn father,"

The two stood in silence for a moment before Swiftspear placed a powerful hand upon his sons shoulder "Yes, my son, you are ready."

Grendak would go on to become a great hunter and warrior  of my people, eventually earning the name Ogrebane. His father had seen his potential from his first day but knew that to unlock that potential he would have to overcome the greatest obstacle. He would have to overcome his pride.

This story has been told for many generations by my people for the message it carries. I thank you all for listening and welcome you to pass it onto your kin in the hopes it will serve to strengthen our people.

((While I had origanlly hoped to edit the entire feast and post the whole thing I'm afraind I have little time due to my upcoming deployment so I was forced to only post Hektars tale itself without the interactions or other stories. Sorry, to the others.))