Dwarf Fortress succesion game!

The Dark Portal was never alone. Other lands and adventures await The Grim (( Forums for other games The Grim have a presence in, official and unofficial ))

Moderator: Officers

Bartantalus

Dwarf Fortress succesion game!

Unread post by Bartantalus »

So the new version of DF has been out and bugfixed up to having a working Dwarf Therapist! Put your name down here for entry into a game. We will each *rule* for one year before passing it off to the next person!
Mireille Badeau

Re: Dwarf Fortress succesion game!

Unread post by Mireille Badeau »

Bartantalus wrote:So the new version of DF has been out and bugfixed up to having a working Dwarf Therapist! Put your name down here for entry into a game. We will each *rule* for one year before passing it off to the next person!
I'd love to do year one.
Pincus

Unread post by Pincus »

Oh man. Sign me up for a year.
Mireille Badeau

Year one complete!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s7kbajop9sq6b ... ession.zip

Good luck in Year Two, Bart!

Year One:
-Underground farm set up and working; have planned the digging for the aboveground farm. Food production is good, booze production's a bit low. This is all set up with custom stockpiles for efficiency and doesn't really need to be messed with (except to make sure the jobs get queued when we have food or plants to cook or brew).
-All major craft shops (crafters, masons, mechanics, carpenters) up. There are a LOT of jobs in the queue. I'm a firm believer in the Manager being my best friend.
-Bedrooms and catacombs dug, beds placed. There should be coffers and cabinets in the queue or already made.
-Textile Industry going very well. Yay pig tails!
-Hospital is set up. We couldn't save our first patient and we'll need a water source built to make sure that anyone who's hospitalized can survive the winter.
-There's a berserk dwarf in a tree in the northern area of the map. Just avoid going up there.
Mireille Badeau

Okay, so apparently an unavoidable goblin siege catastrophe in early spring keeps getting the original fort killed, and Bart's asked me to retry a Year One. So here we go:

Flashcudgels, Year One in Review

I set out with one Expedition Leader (Proficient diagnostician, novice in Negotiation, Appraisal, Judge of Intent, Organizer, and Record-Keeper), Four Miner-Doctors (Proficient Mining, each proficient in one medical discipline), one Grower (Proficient Grower, Proficient Herbalist), and one Cook (Proficient Cheese-maker, Proficient Cooking). My goal in year one is almost always to get as much digging done as possible, rig a means to seal the fort from invasion, and get enough food and booze put away for the big spring migrant wave.

Exploratory digging reveals that holy Armok, we've got sand, clay, coal, two different sources of iron, kaolinite (for porcelain), tetrahedrite (for copper and silver), and... claystone? Well, at least it's not rock salt. This is a great site for a fort... if we can make it work.

(Note: I've tried starts in this area four times now. The first crashed in autumn and I wasn't autosaving, the second died to a siege that showed up in summer (REALLY. SUMMER.), the third died to a tantrum spiral when an apparently-beloved-by-his-companions dwarf decided for no reason to walk into a pond and drown himself. Despite the resource bonanza and the general not-evil-biomeness of the place I'm beginning to think the Muscled Hills are cursed.)

HOTKEYS:
F1 - takes you to the aboveground fort entrance.
F2 - takes you to the kitchens/farming area.
F3 - takes you to the workshop area.
F4 - Bedrooms! Ceiling Overseer is watching dwarves... do whatever they do. I don't know.

LEVERS:
I've got two. One controls the bridges that seal the entranceways. The other controls the (not yet functional) floodgate that'll trigger the dining room waterfall. There are notes (N) describing each. Yes, I annotated the fort.

CURRENT STATUS:

We got a goblin siege in early autumn, and while I managed to get everything inside before then, the autumn migrant wave never showed up. Worse, neither did the merchants or liaison. They weren't killed on the map - I have no idea what happened to them. So we're low on dwarfpower and never got a chance to buy an anvil. The goblins got bored and left around midwinter. There's plenty of food and booze - one silver lining to the whole dwarf shortage problem.

The current major task is cleaning out the rocks from the areas that we're going to flood - the rocks have all been designated for dumping, and a spot on the workshop level is designated as the garbage pit, so expect to see a lot of dwarves hauling rocks for the next little bit. Once it's empty, pull the floodgate lever to open that channel, then send a miner to dig a ramp upward at the point just past the floodgate. He'll book it out of the passageway (he might get wet), and once he's out make sure you (l)(o)ck the door behind him so you don't get a dwarf or cat going through it and flooding the fort. It should flow down that channel, fill the reservoir above the dining room, then start a waterfall; it drains out a couple of z-levels down but keeps a reservoir that feeds your well. If you need to shut off the water flow, use the lever and the floodgate will close.

Other than that, all the workshops necessary for basic fort maintenance are THERE, I just don't have individual dwarves to man them yet. The expedition leader is pulling something like five jobs right now. As you get dwarves to put in those workshops, deactivate his jobs so he can focus on keeping stock records and issuing job orders.

There's enough coal dug (and you can always go digging for more, it's a BIG map) that I wouldn't be in a hurry to dig to magma. YMMV. That said, if you want to do any smithing you're going to have to hope the humans manage to get a caravan through and bring an anvil.

Or ignore all that and do your thing. After all, it's your year!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/por7i6xzp1x5l ... 151%29.zip
Mireille Badeau

Pincus (or another mod), can we move this thread to Other Ventures for visibility? I'm sure we're not the only ones who want to play. =)
Mireille Badeau

...Never mind. I played on for a few weeks and one of my dwarves declared himself king. That explains where the caravan and liaison went: our home civ NO LONGER EXISTS.

EDIT: Okay, I did a full restart at the same site using the other (larger) dwarven civ. Still got most of the same events - autumn siege prevented caravan/migrants - but hopefully we still have a home civ. If not, fuck it. We'll get an anvil from the humans and use it to forge a NEW dwarven empire! I've updated the savefile:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/por7i6xzp1x5l ... 151%29.zip

Changes:
-I didn't get the well built, but all the digging is done. Make some blocks, a rope, and a bucket and you should be able to drop a well in the spot north of the dining room.
-More traps. Fewer entrances. Much more defensible.
-More migrants in that first wave meant a lot more work got done. We have more food, more booze, more traps laid, more furniture (dining room's almost done), and a richer fortress in general. Here's hoping the spring migrant wave cures the remaining labor shortage.
Mireille Badeau

...Well, this worldgen is a total loss.

Some history: on this worldgen there are two Dwarven civs. One of them is nearly extinct in the year 150. The other is The Frilly Lance.

So.

http://i.imgur.com/PIktT21.jpg?1

Yeah.

Apparently the worldgen ended RIGHT BEFORE the Age of Goblins or something because every single other outpost of The Frilly Lance fell before summer of the second year in game.

I'll have to re-gen the world with a new history seed and see what happens.
Mireille Badeau

Seriously it has never taken me six attempts to get a successful fort on such a nice embarkation point before. But then, I've never had to cope with THE RISE OF THE GOBLIN AGE before.
Mireille Badeau

Okay, here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ljub7wubyglvw ... 251%29.zip

It's not as nice a site, but it has iron, plenty of soil layers, and the fort's in much the same condition as I described for the earlier attempts. This time the dwarven civs are a bit larger and since the caravan and migrants arrive in autumn, I have no reason to expect they won't arrive in spring.

Good luck!
Bartantalus

Unread post by Bartantalus »

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a6b8i7jsnh3f ... 0XgpvU7W4a

There we are. Its a little bit past the first spring auto save causeI copied the wrong save file.

Got some iron and charcoal going, PLENTY of food and drink. For some reason we have both a baron and baroness as two separate ruling entities.