Need help finding a game

The Dark Portal was never alone. Other lands and adventures await The Grim (( Forums for other games The Grim have a presence in, official and unofficial ))

Moderator: Officers

Ashenfury
Lost

Need help finding a game

Unread post by Ashenfury »

I'm sure someone has played Dragonseed. I've heard that some Pokemon games are very similar. I believe the sub-genre is called "Monster Training" games. Basically a game where you get a stable of pets that you can change in and out and train them for combat. Yes, I know this is similar to Pokemon but I can't stand Pokemon the way most tough guys can't stand Sailor Moon and Justin Bieber. It is what it is.

So does anyone have any suggestion at all for a game released between Playstation 1 and current generation that you train a stable of pets for combat? You can say Pokemon if you want but I won't investigate it.
Aureilya
Lost

Re: Need help finding a game

Unread post by Aureilya »

Pet battles in wow :p

Also they have pvp in wow. You can even pvp with pet battles.

Just get back here already.
Araun
Lost

Unread post by Araun »

There's the Monster Rancher series, that's the one where you pop in various CDs and other games and it generates monsters based on what it can read off the CD.

Unlike Pokemon, you don't wander around the world with a small team of adorable psychopaths, instead you basically operate a monster dojo (okay, they're dumb animals, so it's more of a farm - one might even call it a ranch) and send out individual monsters to compete in tournaments.

I haven't played MR in years, though, maybe even a decade - I have no idea how the series has fared.
Ashenfury
Lost

Unread post by Ashenfury »

That sounds like exactly what I'm craving. I saw a version of that on GameCube I may emulate.