Guild Wars 2 (Tarnished Coast Server)

The Dark Portal was never alone. Other lands and adventures await The Grim (( Forums for other games The Grim have a presence in, official and unofficial ))

Moderator: Officers

Abric
Lost

Re: Guild Wars 2

Unread post by Abric »

I ... don't think so? Let me check. I'm sending you whispers, but I guess you don't see them because you don't have a character made.

MUMBLE!
Abric
Lost

Unread post by Abric »

Oh, I guess you do have a home server. That you have to wait! Though, except for WvW, you can freely move to play with other people from different servers.

Probably best to see if it frees up in the morning, I guess. Unless full is full and then I don't really know what we gots to do. Fortunately, friend lists are game wide.
Bloodscream
Lost

Unread post by Bloodscream »

I'm mechwarriorin atm. My toon is made, my home server is Tarnished Coast
Aureilya
Lost

Unread post by Aureilya »

Yeah, getting transferred over to Tarnished Coast takes some persistence, but it can be done. Although it looks like you have it taken care of already.

It only took me a little over a day to get moved over. Luckily I had a friend that was watching for it to go to 'very high' also, and sent me frantic messages over Steam once it did. Surprisingly, it was at 7:45 pm PST on a Saturday. I figured I'd have to sneak in at 4am or something.

My RP main over there is a level 7 human engineer named Nika Davies. But I am loving the Mesmer class. I toyed around with a norn mesmer while waiting for Tarnished Coast to open up, but gave her some random name. She's only level 3 so I'll have to reroll her at some point.

Is it just me, or do the Charr look exactly like giant kobolds from the back and sides?
Bloodscream
Lost

My buddy Soapyfrog.9130 is going to transfer over.
Abric
Lost

Unread post by Abric »

I don't know who that is. Should I know who that is? WHO IS THAT!?
Bloodscream
Lost

You do not know him, another silly Canadian friend of mine and Mal's.
His name is Paul but as he is green and small and covered in suds, we call him Soapyfrog.
Abric
Lost

Unread post by Abric »

I want to feast upon his gravy-laden soul.
Krinathalasa
Lost

Unread post by Krinathalasa »

Is this game actually worth buying?
Yrzuli
Lost

Unread post by Yrzuli »

Its enjoyable. I have kind of gotten lost with the game, because I started doing all the early zones for each of the classes and when all the holiday nonsense started up, I was trying to figure out that... plus with MOP launching, I got distracted from it entirely.
Abric
Lost

Unread post by Abric »

I believe Guild Wars 2 and Secret World are the only MMOs over the last seven years that have even come close to the enjoyment of WoW. Each have their own unique spin with excellent game design.

Guild Wars 2 shines in the art - it is a fucking beautiful game. The game design is simple to pick up, the quest/exploration of it is stupid simple (but not full retard) to see but a hell of a lot of fun to get involved in. It distinctly separates it's PvE and PvP.

PvE - you don't fight for mobs because it is all shared. If you put some damage into something, and someone else puts damage into something, you all get credit for it. While your quest tracker (x amount of things done to fill the bar) is your own personal bubble - there are zone quests where it takes more than just you to contribute, without having to really rely on others. It is, by far, the best way to combat the fuckitude of the internet. While some jack ass could train a lot of mobs onto you or through your AOE... the only reason someone would do that is if they have something *really* personal against you - and you are dumb enough to not see it.

PvP - You have WvW and structured PvP. WvW is split between 3 servers and that is where you go when you know what the fuck you are doing and you have friends. Structured PvP is where you go to learn PvP, as it is more traditional and is completely separated from the rest. You zone in and already have PvP gear and are put up to level 80. You do the point games (Battlegrounds) where rank, which every 10th rank (1-10, 11-20, 21-30... or maybe it's 1-9? Eh.) giving you a new tier of stuff to buy. There is only one set (light, medium, heavy) and one type of every weapon (pistol, sword, greatsword, etc) and the differences between them are the sockets you fill... which are free so you can customize however you want to play (glass cannon, meat shield, "I don't know what I'm doing so this thing sounds cool"). Your rank and points are all account bound too, so if you get something ( you earn chests with random gear, woooo!) your primary character can't use, you can stow it in your own PvP locker to be kept later for other characters you may be interested in.

... in other words - good thing to pick up to play between the 20 other games you picked up from the holiday Steam sale.
Bloodscream
Lost

I've played very little of GW2 but from what I have seen it is very pretty. Pretty and free are two good things for my entertainment. I was never really a fan of WoW "75 buttons but you only really use a dozen" approach to interfaces. I like that GW2 has a great many buttons, buttons buttons everywhere but they are in groups and you don't have to find and load them on your bar, you grabbbed a sword? Here are you sword buttons... fall in the water did ya? Here's your underwater buttons, flame thrower? Ya here ya go, new buttons for ya but since they are always in the same place it's no confusing at all.

So far I like it.
Aureilya
Lost

Unread post by Aureilya »

Krinathalasa wrote:Is this game actually worth buying?
I cannot recommend this game highly enough. It has FAR exceeded all expectations. Without a doubt a 5 star game and worth every cent.
Aquizit
Lost

Unread post by Aquizit »

Good luck getting into the server though.
Krinathalasa
Lost

Unread post by Krinathalasa »

You guys picked the fullest server ever. I've tried multiple times to get into the Tarnished Coast and it is always full. Blah.