Halkhal

All puppets have a Puppet Master (( Player Applications for Applicants ))

Moderator: Officers

Halkhal

Halkhal

Unread post by Halkhal »

Grim Application For Halkhal

How did you hear about The Grim? Do you know anyone in The Grim?
-
I found <The Grim> through the WRA WoW forum subsection. I just recently transferred to WRA and have been looking for the past few days for a quality guild to apply to. I think The Grim is that quality guild. I don't know anyone in The Grim, I am a returning player and most of my friends aren't active anymore.

Tell us about your roleplaying experience. In WoW? Elsewhere? Do you consider yourself a heavy RPer? What does that mean to you?
-
I have enjoyed RP in WoW on and off for several years. Most of my RP experience comes from WoW in-game but I've also enjoyed forum RP from time to time on other outlets. When I make the active choice to play on a RP realm and join a RP group I definitely dive into it headfirst, so I would say that I can be a pretty heavy RPer. I've done emote-based RP, dice rolls, and plain chat. Heavy RP to me is being IC around 85-95% of the time.

What is your history in World of Warcraft? Have you been part of any other guilds? If so, tell us about your experiences with them.
-
I started playing WoW in middle school when Vanilla launched. I didn't get seriously invested into the game until WotLK and have played on and off since then, more on than off. Most of that time was spent heavily raiding or participating in PvP. I have been a part of two RP guilds in the past, but mostly I've been in PvE/PvP guilds. I haven't ever really tried to push PvP rating seriously, but I achieved AotC for both MoP and Legion before taking a break for BFA. This is my first 120 and my first time jumping into BFA.

Are you applying on an alt (non-main) character? If so, what are you looking for here that you are not getting from your main character? If you are feeling honest or adventurous, please let us know who your main is.
-
No, this is my main character.

What are your expectations for your character after joining The Grim? What aspect of the game do you wish to focus on (raiding, mythic plus, organized PvP, achievements)?
-
I hope to push progression in the current and upcoming raid-tier as well as DESTROYING in PvP.

What is your PvE (player-versus-environment) experience in World of Warcraft? What classes and roles do you enjoy the most in a raid environment?
-
In the past I have been very heavily invested in PvE, clearing almost all raid content from WotLK up to Legion. I have taken breaks in-between expansions, some for a few months and at most a bit over half of an xpac. There has been content that I've missed, but I feel fairly competent in my PvE abilities. In the past I was a Paladin main, swapped over to Mage in MoP, and have been Warrior since Legion. I think I definitely lean towards melee classes more.

What is your PvP (player-versus-player) experience in World of Warcraft? What classes and roles do you enjoy the most in a PvP environment?
-
My PvP experience is pretty limited. I have participated in RBGs and Arenas but never in any very serious way, I've never tried to push rating. For some reason my competitive side has been breaking out lately and I am very, very thirsty for PvP content.

Provide an armory link to your character.
-
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/us/wyrmrest-accord/halkhal
Please keep in mind that this is a fresh 120, my first of BFA, so my mog looks like dog poo and my gear is horrific. I just hit 120 yesterday, trying to shove for gear now. Sorry!

What days/times do you typically play this character?
-
I work M-F and only have 2 hours in the evening of each weekday to play, but I am *VERY* active on Sat and Sun.

Are you prepared to check these forums at least a few times a week? (It is The Grim's primary means of communication.)
-
I do clerical work during the week so I am on the computer for over 10 hours a day at work alone, I will definitely have time and will be stopping in on the forums. I love forums!

What race and class is this character? Why did you choose this race and class?
-
Orc Warrior. I love the honor-bound traditions of the Orcs, I think their history is incredibly interesting, and who doesn't want to be known as the pure-muscle-berserk-machine that is the Warrior?

Have you read the Mandate? Can your character live by it?
-
I have, and he can. I will say that I don't consider Halkhal to be a chaotic evil, but he stands for Garrosh's 'old' Horde, doing whatever is necessary to ensure the survival and prosperity of the Horde.

The Grim are considered a Lawful Evil guild. Do you have any experience playing a character of this alignment or a character archetype that believes in structure with evil intent?
-
I don't think that should be a huge issue for me. I plan on orienting my character's views around "Horde great, Alliance horrible". It's not that he will go around slaughtering Alliance women and children, he still abides by the Orcish sense of honor and virtue, and he views the Alliance as a force that could wipe out his heritage and home.

Does your character's name fall within the guidelines listed at the beginning of this application? (Please note, if your name does not fall within our guidelines and you do not want to do a name change, you are more than welcome to apply under a different character.)
-
His name is Halkhal Swiftblade, the surname gained during his trial of The Om'riggor Rite. After what I read through the forum it seems like this name would be allowed, but if I need to drop the surname and figure something else out I can. Halkhal should be fine and in no need of change.

Do you have any questions or anything further to add?
-
Nope! I'm very excited to hear back, from what I've read and seen this is an amazing guild that I'd love to be apart of. If I've missed anything please let me know. Thanks!
Ulrezaj

Re: Halkhal

Unread post by Ulrezaj »

I have some good news for you.

Many of our players are very interested in PVP. Arenas are a thing that I have been getting us to dip our toes in over the months. So far, I am wrapped up in them almost constantly when I am online.

We do not have a prevailing schedule fixed for them just yet. However, it is often pretty easy to tag people who are online and check their interest.

I could run with you on my restoration shaman in 2v2s. In 3v3s, you may have to be creative with finding teams, but we definitely have people playing good classes for it this season. I will leave below a list of 2v2 and 3v3 comps warriors can run this expac.

https://www.wowhead.com/compositions-for-wow-2v2-arena

https://www.wowhead.com/popular-compositions-for-wow-3v3-arena

When you RP with us, make a mental note of who is eager to fight in arenas and what class they play. With luck, and a little initiative, you'll be running them pretty early and often.

Additionally, a coalition of guilds known as the "War Council" is forming on TN to host rated battleground teams. If that is an interest to you, literally right now is the most opportune time to make yourself heard. One of our players, Nithlid, is working closely with them to put together teams.

Your ilvl does matter in Rated PVP, so you should try some M+ dungeons before you attempt any serious rated pushes. Right now, it is on the low side. Your goal needs to be 385+. Ilvl 400 gear is average for arenas and will suit you well, but 385 is the minimum I have determined from leveling 50 alts that will prevent you from getting totally annihilated. The concept of armor "scaling" when you enter 120 instanced PVP is largely mythological. I have tested it a number of times and determined it either does not work or it does not "scale" enough.

Luckily, I have a solution. On Mondays, the Grim queues Mythic+ dungeons. A Mythic+ 10 dungeon will reward you with an ilvl 415 piece from a loot chest in Dazar'alor. You will not be able to do a +10 just yet, but you should be able to acquire gear ridiculously fast through pushing up the ranks. Join those and you will be ready for anything the Grim does.
Halkhal

Unread post by Halkhal »

Ulrezaj,

Thanks for the information and advice! Like I said in my application I haven't even touched BFA outside of a little under two weeks ago, just now hitting 120 due to my work schedule, so I am definitely in need of any help that can be offered my way as far as what I need to prioritize and do to make the most of it all. I am very eager to get into PvP more, I actually leveled from 10-110 almost exclusively through BGs. You'll have to forgive my ignorance here, but what is TN? The War Council sounds awesome, and definitely seems like something I would be interested in. Once I get a little better geared I'd be more than happy to run 2s with your Shaman, that would be awesome. I'm currently sitting at 323 ilvl, very low, but I've been enjoying BGs and feel like I'm bringing something to the table each time even though I'm not very well geared. I managed to pick up a *few* 340-350 crafted pieces from a blacksmith I met but I can't seem to find any pieces listed on the AH when I look. Hopefully I'll be able to get more gear soon. If you have any advice on how to start getting into Mythic+ dungeons I'm all ears.

Thanks again man.
Ulrezaj

Unread post by Ulrezaj »

Ah, right. TN = TwistingNether. I forget sometimes that I am on Wyrmrest Accord. The Grim originates on TwistingNether, which was once a reasonably active RPPVP server a few years ago, but now it is a forgotten wasteland. This guild formed there on something like the second week of TN's existence and transferred to Wyrmrest Accord when the community died out completely there.

The War Council is in fact forming on Wyrmrest Accord.

To attend Mythic+ stuff, I'd suggest being online at the latest 5:30pm server time on Monday. That time will get you the -best- chance of getting a M+ run in. Declare yourself and people are usually willing to find a way to work it out.

We have at least one team that normally runs them for their main characters or alts every week.
Gavril
Lost

Unread post by Gavril »

Hi! Your name is perfectly fine, surname included, so don't worry about it.

I will note that the guild tends to be a LITTLE more quiet on the weekends, and we do our raiding Tuesdays/Thursdays. Just something to keep in mind.

I replied to your IC Letter of Intent -- Let me know if you have any questions in the meantime!
Halkhal

Unread post by Halkhal »

Awesome guys, thank you for your responses. @Ulrezaj, that sounds great, I usually get home around 5:30-5:45p CST, so I can probably squeeze into some starting tomorrow.

@Gavril, I might have to ask for a change of time for the interview because of my work schedule, I will DM you with more information.

Thanks guys.
Gavril
Lost

Unread post by Gavril »

Admitted.