Chumbus Application

All puppets have a Puppet Master (( Player Applications for Applicants ))

Moderator: Officers

Chumbus

Chumbus Application

Unread post by Chumbus »

Grim Application For Chumbus.

How did you hear about The Grim? Do you know anyone in The Grim?

I have played on TN off and on since 2009. I am familiar with The Grim by reputation and by incidental encounters with members...but I do not know anyone in the guild.

The forums are The Grim’s primary method of communication. Will you check them regularly (at least a few times a week)?

Yes.

Tell us about your roleplaying experience. In WoW? Elsewhere? Do you consider yourself a heavy RPer? What does that mean to you?

Previously, I was in a heavy RP guild on the alliance side over the course of the last seven years. I have also role played on other MMORPGs, such as SWTOR, AION, and FFXIV. RP, for me, is the creation of interesting stories. That's my goal - to entertain and be entertained through creative fiction.

The Grim are considered a Lawful Evil guild. Do you have any experience playing a character of this alignment or a character archetype that believes in structure with evil intent?

I have experience with lawful evil in SWTOR playing a loyal Sith. However, Chumbus does not believe in concepts of good and evil - to him, they are human constructs that only make sense within a reactive, passive, and weak world view. They are ways of characterizing the world to make it knowable and submissive - but there is no truth that allows any action to be good or evil. To call his actions evil (or good, for that matter) are to apply criteria that do not make sense outside of that reactive world view.

Have you been part of any other guilds in World of Warcraft? If so, who were they and what server do or did they reside on? Let us know of your experience with them and what made you decide to either leave or continue to stay.

My first guild was Haggis on Dalaran. They were a raiding guild during Vanilla and BC, but folded when the third and fourth Chieftains (the first two were excellent) stopped coming online. I was an officer in that guild. After that I bounced around for a while. The second longest stint I have had was in the 73rd. I RP'd a dwarf chaplain in that guild for a long a while.

Are you applying on an alt (non-main) character? If so, what are you looking for here that you are not getting from your main character? If you are feeling honest or adventurous, please let us know who your main is.

Chumbus is my main. He was on Dalaran, and he is again now.

What race and class is this character? Why did you choose this race and class?

He is an undead warlock. I chose undead as my first Horde race back in 2005. The lure to choose undead was their complex relationship to the rest of the Horde - not quite trusted, but necessarily involved. Fighting just for the right to exist. I chose 'lock because it just seemed to be the most interesting class to me.That said, I've played every race and enjoy them all (except warrior...WTF).

What are your expectations for your character after joining The Grim? What aspect of the game do you wish to focus on (raids, rated battlegrounds, arenas, challenge modes, achievements, etc.)?

Rp. After that, PVP. After that, if I can contribute to PVE (even if not raiding, but 5-mans).

What is your PvE (player-versus-environment) experience in World of Warcraft? What classes and roles do you enjoy the most in a raid environment? Do you have any PvE experience from other MMO games?

I used to be in a high-end raiding guild (Haggis) back in vanilla and bc. I actually most enjoy playing healers in a raid environment. I have raided as a shammy, a pally, and a druid healer. I have also raided back in BC as the first version of Chumbus on Dalaran. I also used to raid in SWTOR.

What is your PvP (player-versus-player) experience in World of Warcraft? What classes and roles do you enjoy the most in a PvP environment? Do you have any PvP experience in other MMO games?

I have done quite a bit of PVP in WoW as Alliance. As of WoD, I did a ton of PVP as a Pally, Priest, and Shammy. Back in the day, I used to PVP on the original Chumbus quite a bit.

Did you read and understand our guidelines on character names, listed at the beginning of this application? (Please note, if your name does not fall within our guidelines and you do not want to do a name change, you are more than welcome to apply under a different character.)

Yes. Chumbus is the character's last name. Henry Rutherford Chumbus.

How is your computer performance when playing World of Warcraft? What is your FPS/load times during heavy graphical or high population times? Is your internet connection stable?

My comp sucks. I had a great gaming laptop, but I stepped on it one night while drunk (not gonna lie) and shattered the screen. So I'm using a crappy old one for the time being. Getting a new gaming rig is on horizon. Yes, my internet connection is awesome.

Provide an armory link to your character.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/t ... bus/simple

What days/times do you typically play this character?

Evenings and Weekends.

Have you read the Required Reading? Do you have any questions or concerns about anything there?

Yes, I have read it. No, I have no questions.

Have you read the Mandate? Do you have any questions or concerns about it? Can your character live by it?

Yes, I have read it. My "concern" would be that Chumbus believes that all peace is temporary. He firmly believes the guild's goals and his goals align - but he believes ascribing permanent status to anything denies that change is constant is short-sighted. Peace is not eternal; it is subject to the same chaos and flux as all life. That said - because our goals do align, he would not only live by it by embrace it.

Do you have anything further to add?

Yes; my letter of intent is forthcoming. However, I work full time and have a family, so it may not be up for a day or two. I appreciate your patience and thank you for judging the application as a whole.
Neevah

Re: Chumbus Application

Unread post by Neevah »

Hi there, and thanks for putting in the application! We do have progressive raiding on Tuesday and Thursday nights so if your older rig is up for it you can definitely give it a go with us. I know Anaie will be happy to have more healers.

We'll be watching for your letter of intent :)
Khorvis

Unread post by Khorvis »

I'm curious about this response:

I have experience with lawful evil in SWTOR playing a loyal Sith. However, Chumbus does not believe in concepts of good and evil - to him, they are human constructs that only make sense within a reactive, passive, and weak world view. They are ways of characterizing the world to make it knowable and submissive - but there is no truth that allows any action to be good or evil. To call his actions evil (or good, for that matter) are to apply criteria that do not make sense outside of that reactive world view.

Obviously that is fine, when seeing the world through the eyes of the character. By and large I would say that the majority of Grim characters do not see themselves as evil - only pursuing necessary ends. However, this question is less concerned with your ability to roleplay and more pointed at your understanding of the larger roleplay community on TN/RH. The Grim fill a certain niche. We exist happily as the "bad guys", or at least the moral equivalency of a dumpster fire: a foil for a lot of non-evil characters. Could you be comfortable in that role?

(That is not to say that The Grim are in any way secondary characters. Our villainy tends to drive a lot of drama.)
Chumbus

Unread post by Chumbus »

Khorvis wrote: Obviously that is fine, when seeing the world through the eyes of the character. By and large I would say that the majority of Grim characters do not see themselves as evil - only pursuing necessary ends. However, this question is less concerned with your ability to roleplay and more pointed at your understanding of the larger roleplay community on TN/RH. The Grim fill a certain niche. We exist happily as the "bad guys", or at least the moral equivalency of a dumpster fire: a foil for a lot of non-evil characters. Could you be comfortable in that role?

(That is not to say that The Grim are in any way secondary characters. Our villainy tends to drive a lot of drama.)
Yes, I believe I would be comfortable in that role. In fact, that very challenge is one of the draws that has lead me to apply.

I mentioned I had played on TN as Alliance previously - I am familiar with the "ahhhhh shit." feeling you get when you see "The Grim" guild tag appear over the horizon. I am at least somewhat acquainted with the guild reputation.

As to the "moral equivalency of a dumpster fire," I think we understand each other pretty well. Please correct me if I'm wrong. For Chumbus, categorizing any act as "good" or "evil" is placing a value judgment where it doesn't belong. It's is inventing categories that protect the weak, frail, and cowardly, and then applying those categories to judge things that are inconvenient, frightening, or depressing. The act, in itself, has no inherent value...it just is. Under this rubric, infanticide has no different value than making soup. Chumbus rejects these constructs, and the "house of cards" morality built upon them. From a human world-view, he is most definitely evil. From his perspective, he doesn't give a crap what the human world-view thinks of him.

I hope this adequately addresses your question.
Khorvis

Unread post by Khorvis »

Sounds good to me. See you at the Inquisition.
Chumbus

Unread post by Chumbus »

Khorvis wrote:Sounds good to me. See you at the Inquisition.
So...I have realized a small(ish) issue.

Chumbus is currently 97. The next Inquisition is in the Broken Isles. My understanding is you need to be 100 to start the quest to gain access.

Because he is not of that level, even though I pre-ordered Legion, Chumbus will not be able to be in the Broken Isles tomorrow.

Please advise.
Neevah

Unread post by Neevah »

We'll meet in Orgrimmar then, at the Wyvern's Tail. I'll go update the posting.
Duskheron

Unread post by Duskheron »

{{Going to chime in and say that if this is the 73rds chaplain that did frequent rp sermon events a few years back, he will be an excellent addition. Were you Aberforth, or a different character?}}

{{Edit: ack, didn't realize this was a few weeks ago, he's probably in already at this point }}
WRA Grim: Duskheron