2009 Grim Camping Trip/ Get Together

Public Out of Character Board.
Qabian

Re: 2009 Grim Camping Trip/ Get Together

Unread post by Qabian »

angaroth wrote: So I checked out funnel cake on wikipedia. Looks like what happens when you screw up making a doughnut.
It is.  And it's beautiful.

I'm disturbed that you needed to look it up, but I suppose stranger things have happened.  You telling me they don't have it at La Ronde?  Next thing you know, you're gonna say you've never heard of Conklin mini donuts.  We do too have funnel cake in Canada.  Heck, I can order it at the crappy family restaurant down the road, but maybe Francophones are scared of it?

And I have caves with bats right here.  :P  But yes, they have all lacked funnel cake thus far.
Last edited by Qabian on Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kharzak

Unread post by Kharzak »

Malstrom wrote:"Beaver Tails"
/snicker
This is Wrath of Air Country! Select the superior air totem. Use Wrath of Air today!
Qabian

Unread post by Qabian »

Beaver Tails =/= funnel cake, noooo way.

For one thing, you can't eat funnel cake while on skates.  Well, you could, but it would be considerably more awkward than beaver tails are.
Krinathalasa

Unread post by Krinathalasa »

Nothing is as tasty a elephant ear.  Mmm..
Qabian

Unread post by Qabian »

Elephant ears however = beaver tails.  Same thing. We have both here.  Actually, elephant ears are bigger and lighter in my experience.  Slightly different dough, exactly the same concept.

Where are my promises?
Nymare

Unread post by Nymare »

I say Texas!

San Antonio or mebbe Dallas, though I think there may be more in/around the San Antonio area (Sea World, Six Flags (Q's funnel cake and rollercoasters), Schlitterbahn, camping potential, mexican food, The Alamo (is not that exciting and it has no basement), etc).

/nodnod

EDIT: erm... I guess the biggest drawback would be that Texas in summer is like living in the mouth of hell.  Hot.  Humid.  Hateful.  Possibly hurricanes... But it's not likely to rain, at least! (with exception of the hurricanes...)
Last edited by Nymare on Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syreenna
Irredeemable

Unread post by Syreenna »

Sounds like Nymare is offering to plan next year's trip?  ;D

I'll go anywhere....but I'm not camping in heat.  If we go to a hot place, I want an air conditioned hotel room!
Alts: Lirsha Deathwhistle & Ayidda
Amaurn

Unread post by Amaurn »

Syreena wrote: Sounds like Nymare is offering to plan next year's trip?   ;D

I'll go anywhere....but I'm not camping in heat.  If we go to a hot place, I want an air conditioned hotel room!
Yeah.. I'm pretty sure she doesn't want to go to Texas though...  ::)
[img]http://members.cox.net/glomund/images/amaurn.png[/img]
Acherontia
Lost

Unread post by Acherontia »

Last edited by Acherontia on Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greebo

Unread post by Greebo »

Hot weather is best experienced through the watery view of the condensation on the glass caused by the GHG emitting arctic chiller you have running to keep you, your vodka/sake, and the horses doovers nicely cool
Grisbault, Twice-Made.
The p, s, l, and t are silent, the screams are not.
Krinathalasa

Unread post by Krinathalasa »

Camping in heat? I'd rather play soccer without a cup.
Aquizit
Lost

Unread post by Aquizit »

Yeah, Texas in July is BRUTAL! And if the wind is blowing the wrong way, it reeks of oil that some people actually get physically sick to. Of course, it's a big state, so it's all depending where you are, but I've heard monster horror stories from both my mother and grandparents about it.

I know there's a fantastic lake near where I live, either south-central Iowa or Missouri, (maybe even westerly in Nebraska) I'll work on getting the info for that place and see what's up with it. It's complete with camping facilities, and if you've got a boat, a place so you can push in and go water-tubing or fishing or ANYTHING. I'll see what's up.
Aquizit
Lost

Unread post by Aquizit »

Ok, it's Lake Rathbun in south-central Iowa, about 2 hours from Des Moines for those who would have to fly in. (Or 5 hours from Chicago, nice shortish trip up from Texas too. Easy for the northeast guys, just hop on I-80 and go.)

Fishing
Boating
Camping
Town 8 miles away.
State park area.
Boat rentals if no-one's got one.. (already been told I wouldn't be allowed to bring ours. :()
Close airport I can pick people up from.

I've camped there once before, much fun.

http://www.iowadnr.com/fish/fishing/lakes/rat04.html

Info on the lake there.

State park info here:
http://www.iowadnr.com/parks/state_park ... creek.html

Nice central location, and really close for me. :P Also since I've camped there before, it'll be easy to set things up if this is a good place for people.

But really, can't get more CENTRAL than the middle of the country. :3
Last edited by Aquizit on Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thalevia
Lost

Unread post by Thalevia »

I am gonna say I would not attend if it was in Texas.  Cause really, who wants to go to Texas.
Nymare

Unread post by Nymare »

Tubing, Water Parks, etc exist here for a reason, yus.  Though, in all honesty, the hill country (San Antonio/Austin) isn't as bad as places like out west, up north, or a concrete jungle like Dallas.

Not sure where you got the oil story from, Aquizit, but uh... yeah... I'm gonna have to say that's something that's likely localized - like if, maybe, you're right next to a refinery, which typically is not:

a.) next to theme parks
b.) inside cities
c.) near campgrounds

And it says "Camping Trip / Get Together" - camping isn't required!  Since I doubt we'd be camping in Cali in July either... that'd be just as, if not more, hurty than camping in Texas... unless we were pretty far north or on the coast?