kharzak, don't be mad...but...

Public Out of Character Board.
Sammuel

kharzak, don't be mad...but...

Unread post by Sammuel »

I keep seeing sigs with a horrible grey background instead of a transparent or matte backs that matches the forums.... anyway, I made some adjustments. these also made them way smaller in file size.

only saw a few so did what I saw... 2 formats. gif and png
on some there's no difference... others have bigger difference like Qabian.

Amaurn
gif - 33k
png - 98k

Syreena
gif - 44k
png - 99k

Qabian
gif - 40k
png - 123k

Kharzak
gif - 59k
png - 139k

as you can see, there's VERY little difference in the two file types... except for file size which is a BIG deal for keeping the forums from getting clunky.
[img]http://www.murf-e.com/grim/sam_sig006.gif[/img]
Kharzak

Re: kharzak, don't be mad...but...

Unread post by Kharzak »

i see the difference between the two image types (glowing effects, aliasing, and pixelation, but then i always notice such things).  as to seeing the grey backgrounds, that is most likely due to your browser i think (older browsers seem to have trouble with the png's) as i have never had trouble with my png's as viewed with my browser.  however, if the users themselves want the gifs that's fine with me.  as long as they like them i'm satisfied.  personally i hate gif's
Last edited by Kharzak on Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is Wrath of Air Country! Select the superior air totem. Use Wrath of Air today!
Regnanetah
Lost

Unread post by Regnanetah »

I've never had a problem with kharzak's sigs either.  I think it's jsut you sam.
"Neither do I like jumping foot, because it encourages the habit of jumping, and a jumpy spirit.  However much you jump, there is no real justification for it; so jumping is bad."  [i]Go Rin No Sho[/i] (Book of Five Rings), Miyamato Musashi (1584-1645), translated by Victor Harris.
Syreenna
Irredeemable

Unread post by Syreenna »

It's not just Sam.  I see the white backgrounds too.
Alts: Lirsha Deathwhistle & Ayidda
Sammuel

Unread post by Sammuel »

IE 6 shows a crazy greyish background on the original png files.

the pngs above have the correct matte, so there is none of the grey.... also the file size is smaller than original.

the gifs are considerably smaller... which can make a difference on page load times, but probably won't really come in to play on our forums.

the pngs above work in older and new browsers, and I agree... they look better than the gif files. at half the size though, the gifs don't look bad at all.

saw something that bugged the hell out of me... took care of it. up to the users and kharzak on what to do about it.
Last edited by Sammuel on Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greebo

Unread post by Greebo »

sam, syr - out of curiousity, what browser & version & OS are you using?
Grisbault, Twice-Made.
The p, s, l, and t are silent, the screams are not.
Greebo

Unread post by Greebo »

IE6 PNG transparency workaround that involves sticking js into the site
Grisbault, Twice-Made.
Kharzak

Unread post by Kharzak »

well, as i said, if they want to use the gifs for their own browsing enjoyment, i have no problem, and you have provided a few right there :)
This is Wrath of Air Country! Select the superior air totem. Use Wrath of Air today!
Syreenna
Irredeemable

Unread post by Syreenna »

On IE6 I see the white background.  On Firefox I don't.  Must be a browser thing.
Alts: Lirsha Deathwhistle & Ayidda
Sammuel

Unread post by Sammuel »

IE 6 is the problem.

It's just the way it works with png files. there's a setting for png matte even if you're using an alpha transparency, and that's what is showing up in IE6. not really a big deal, but better if you can make it so everyone sees what you mean them to see.

I'd suggest using the png or gif files above.. or having kharzak change the matte on his pngs.

no need for added JS to the site.
Greebo

Unread post by Greebo »

until someone changes the bg colour :)
Grisbault, Twice-Made.
Sammuel

Unread post by Sammuel »

if someone changes the background color it's an easy fix with the png file... just change the matte and resave. only problem is if users can choose different color schemes. then i dunno... there's nothing 100% on that.
Qabian

Unread post by Qabian »

Yeah, I noticed that on IE, but... I almost never use IE!  So I decided IE users could suffer rather than not have a true transparency.  And as you can see, that .gif is just wrong in so many ways.

Hopefully I'll be begging Kharzak for a new sig next time we kill Vashj, maybe one that'll .gif more nicely.  Or maybe I'll mess around with some different .gif options.

Edit: Yech, nevermind.  Crappy IE background it is.  Or... maybe I'll matte it up.
Last edited by Qabian on Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sammuel

Unread post by Sammuel »

Q, yours was the worst one by far. pngs are the way to go, just do the matte and it's all good.
Qabian

Unread post by Qabian »

I was using the same one at TNG, so I gueeeess I should do up another matte for there, since that's where I noticed that IE saw it so wrong, but I figured it was worth visually punishing people using a crummy browser, hehe.  And since I'm just using matte, I can jpg a more reasonable file size without rendering it overly hideous, since for me any way the whole point of png was decent transparency.