VoiceOverIP

Public Out of Character Board.
Canaie
Irredeemable

VoiceOverIP

Unread post by Canaie »

Has anybody used netTalk and can give a thumbs up or down? Anything else worthwhile?
Pincus

Re: VoiceOverIP

Unread post by Pincus »

Commercial grade or what? What's your use case?
Canaie
Irredeemable

Unread post by Canaie »

Oh no, just home use. Essentially, I would like to tell Comcast to go and fuck themselves.
Atticus

Unread post by Atticus »

Magic Jack is a great alternative to standard phone service.
My folks have been using it for years with no complaints.
Greebo

Unread post by Greebo »

Vonage?
Grisbault, Twice-Made.
The p, s, l, and t are silent, the screams are not.
Canaie
Irredeemable

Unread post by Canaie »

Way overpriced! NetTalk is 30 bucks a year, and it seems to work just fine. Now I just need to port my current number.
Ashenfury
Lost

Unread post by Ashenfury »

My employers current primary focus is busting people providing this service illegally. While you yourself will have no legal ramification of using the service you may find that your service is terminated or that your calls are routinely "dropped".

Note that your calls aren't really being dropped as much as terminated or re-rerouted. The FTC rules that we can't bypass illegal traffic so instead we find clever alternatives. The result is what most people think is a simple "dropped" call.

Vonage is solid and legal.
Canaie
Irredeemable

Unread post by Canaie »

Why would you think they're operating illegally?
Ashenfury
Lost

There is no 'think' to this. Literally 50% of our revenue comes from rural telephone companies having traffic from these services routed over their telecom switches with fields missing from the call stamp that the rural telephone company uses to bill the originator for.

In other words think of telephone (cellular, voip, landline, doesn't matter) lines as a highway and each time you make a call you're asking your telephone service provider to ship a package from one part of the highway to another. Each telephone company owns a toll on that big highway. In order for someone to make a call (ship some goods) their telephone service provider has to pay toll fees for using their network.

What we see 80% of VoIP providers do is remove their license plate and then drive through the no-stop lane. Now our customers can't even send them a bill.
Pincus

Unread post by Pincus »

Black/grey routing or the now-illegal pumping volume to collect more fees?
Greebo

Unread post by Greebo »

What is the actual requirement, Canai? Calling out? Receiving calls that you don't want to give out your cell to? Local, National, Overseas? Also what Pincus said about rural telcos and their exorbitant termination fees.
Grisbault, Twice-Made.
The p, s, l, and t are silent, the screams are not.
Canaie
Irredeemable

Unread post by Canaie »

Just home phone service (national) really, and not at land-line or ISP prices.
Ashenfury
Lost

now-illegal pumping volume to collect more fees?
I believe black and grey routing. The originator is always either not billable due to missing fields in the call record or there is incorrect information in those fields (such as a string of 1s instead of a Carrier ID). What is this second scenario you speak of? If you're pumping traffic over someone else's switch/trunks then you end up the one paying. Please explain this as I could potentially pitch a new product idea