My new UI

Public Out of Character Board.
Kailei

My new UI

Unread post by Kailei »

It's simple and works for me...so far...
-First and foremost, is always, for the Horde.
Ashenfury
Lost

Re: My new UI

Unread post by Ashenfury »

awwww yeah watch out alliance
Kailei

Unread post by Kailei »

I love the wide ass field of vision it gives me...LOL and it's so simple that i can see where everything is while i am busy memorizing my keybinds....I am still scared of my key binds...
Duskheron

Unread post by Duskheron »

if you are using bartender, you should look into putting a fade visibility based on where the mouse cursor is for your menu and bag bars. Basically, unless you hover your mouse over the left bottom part of your screen, the visibility is turned off for them. UI minimalists usually recommend taking the menu bar off entirely and remembering the keybinds for those options. I'm old and don't want to remember too many things, so I leave the menu on my screen, and just do the visibility-on-mouse-over thing.

I'm not sure if you want all that space between your action buttons. If you do, carry on! If not, you can adjust the margin so that they fit closer together.

Which mod are you using to pull up the enemy team roster?
WRA Grim: Duskheron
Kailei

Unread post by Kailei »

I wouldn't call myself a "UI minimalist" I like to be able to see everything on my action bars, but I don't want it to take up a ton of space...as for the menu bar, I too am old and have been playing this game for too long and in my mind the UI is wrong if that bar is NOT there (i tried it without that bar...hated it).

For now the space between the action buttons serves a purpose in helping me to remember what button on my naga mouse to hit, when I memorize them, I will probably make them smaller.

The mod to bring up the enemy roster like that is Battleground Targets and it is a required mod if you are gonna pvp with the Grim in the near future :D. Makes targeting weaker players way easier as you can look at them all before the match even starts.
Ashenfury
Lost

I cannot stress how critical Healers Have to Die was for clutch target calling. I don't know if it still works in this expansion but it was my second favorite add-on after Bartender.
Kailei

Unread post by Kailei »

I believe that one still works, have not tried it with my hunter in bgs yet.
Kailei

Unread post by Kailei »

A question about my UI above, maybe some of the other healers can give me an idea or hint.

I hate the WoW "grid" you see on the left of my screen. I need an addon for that "grid" that does the following:

1. Disables the stupid WoW "grid"
2. Allows me to resize and move the new grid. It will probably go where recount is on my screen currently, maybe stretched out a bit longer.
3. I have installed Clique, but I do not know if I am doing it wrong, I want an addon that allows me to HOVER over someone's name in a raid frame and target them that way. Is there something like this?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Syreenna
Irredeemable

Unread post by Syreenna »

Many healers seem to like Grid for their raid frames. I used to use XPerl, but I'm trying without anything for a while.

There are a lot of customization options for the default Blizzard frames in your Interface options. You can resize them, show mana/rage/energy, group by parties or not, lay out the frames horizontal instead of vertical, show pets or not, pick what types of buffs/debuffs you want to see on them, and some other stuff I can't remember right now.

You can also move the default Blizzard raid frame. Click the pullout arrow on the left, and click "Unlock" to move your frames. Then you can lock it again when you're done, so you don't move it by accident during play.

I think Clique should let you mouse over someone's raid frame and cast spells that way, but I've never used it, so I could be wrong! :)
Alts: Lirsha Deathwhistle & Ayidda
Duskheron

The main 3 healer addons are Vuhdoo, Healbot, and Grid. I use Grid, but that's mostly because I've already gone through the pain of setting it up the way I want, but it's not very user friendly. I've heard good things about Vuhdoo and Healbot, and they're supposed to be much easier to learn and setup from scratch.

Clique is an addon that makes it easier for you bind specific spells (heals) to mouse buttons. It's not a UI addon, per se.

If you want to keyboard-press your spells (1-5, or whatever), and hover over UI to heal your party without needing to select them, you can create mouse-over-macros.

It really comes down to how you naturally steer your character.. whether you do WASD or if you use your mouse to move. If you use WASD to move around the screen, then you'll probably want to go the clique-route of binding spells to SHIFT, ALT, CTRL + mouse buttons. If you move with your mouse, then you'll probably want to go the mouse-over-macro route.

Here's what all my mouse-over-macros look like (There's a decent explanation over here: http://www.worldofmatticus.com/a-guide- ... er-macros/ ):

#showtooltip
/cast [target=mouseover,help] Lifebloom; [help] Lifebloom; Lifebloom

Replace Lifebloom with whatever spells you want to cast, and then replace the old "Lifeboom" spell on your action bar with the new macro.
Krinathalasa
Lost

Unread post by Krinathalasa »

I use Healbot and it is a wonderful tool. All I do is set up the five buttons on my mouse and heal away to my hearts content. No need to setup macros or what no.
Ashenfury
Lost

Kailei have you tried altering that UI in your options? It's actually pretty dynamic as of Cataclysm. They added a way to shrink the bars. I used to use GRID religiously until they made all of the changes.
Kailei

Unread post by Kailei »

I didn't even know I COULD adjust the blizzard grid frame. And as to the mouseover thing, I move using WASD and my left and right click buttons at times. So I am trying to avoid clicking my targets. Guess I needta fiddle around with the mouseover macros...cause that seems to be the closet thing to what I actually want... I was just not looking forward to macro'ing everything LOL
Ashenfury
Lost

It's intimidating until you realize in actuality it's really just time consuming. I know there are a few healer UI addons that support native mouseover. Or at least they used to. I think Clique and Voodoo both allow you to do that. It's been a long time since I was regularly using healer add ons though.
Duskheron

Note: This is NOT a "you should do it like me!" post. It's a "this is what a crazy old woman who likes to heal" does. Funny enough, in the process of finding a screenshot for this, I found a cache of old UI screenshots. I'll have to post them up on TNG or something so people can laugh :)

I like looking at how other people "think". I used to spend waaaay too many hours trying to get the perfect UI, but in the end, it really is about how fast your eyes (and ears) process the info and you react to it. A better UI will improve your speed of reaction, but it's not a silver bullet that will turn a crappy player into a contender.

This is a screenshot from Firelands, as I'm too lazy to hop into Wow, and my UI looks much cleaner when I'm solo and don't have to worry about other people anyway. While the relative placement and size of things are a little different, this, in essence, is what my healing UI has looked like since Cata.

posting these as URLs, so they don't blow up the forum for people with small monitors :)

Sangjai's UI

Sangjai's UI explained