Secret World

Public Out of Character Board.
Abric
Lost

Re: Secret World

Unread post by Abric »

Looks like it's only one per person.

I'll try to peg Gazrit or Bart to see if they have used one to send your way - unless they are reading this message... or someone else is... then they can speak up!
Abric
Lost

Unread post by Abric »

Newcomer's Forum

For those starting out and still confused about some of the stuff happening - and for reading on those interested and waiting for a game key or dropping 50 bucks.
Krinathalasa
Lost

Unread post by Krinathalasa »

Yea if there is a key floating around I'm game to try it out too.
Brass

Unread post by Brass »

I've been really curious about this one myself, been following it for a while but here since it's release I've been watching reviews and let's plays. An MMO game that can reward detective work and reasoning as well as twitch button mashing? One that makes you think more than just the mathy stat calcs? Give it a character development system that, if time is invested, makes you capable of fitting into a group any way they need? I like it!

I wish they'd have some free trial of it on the website (I might've missed it, I've checked around). Every time I log into WoW I get this 'ugh' feeling for a ton of reasons, foremost among them is the feeling that the Lore has lost all depth to me. That's quickly followed by the overbearing contradiction of what Blizzard thinks 'social' means to gameplay versus what it actually ends up as (A logistical headache). I pretty much only subscribe to WoW at this point because of the Grim and the (now) very distant hope that Mists will make some difference in WoW's glaring problems. Truthfully, though I got D3 free, how that turned out has really demoralized the hell out of me. Losing it is definitely not a factor in my continued subscription to WoW.

Still, it'd be nice to hook up with some Grimsters in a different World and get some esoteric nerding on. It's not world of darkness, but it could be as close as we see for a long time.

I wonder - does Secret World have a really good RP community starting up? I'd love to play a sociopathic 'Illuminated' Doctor whose scientific obsession with the occult has a tendency to endanger everyone and everything around him. Heavily defined by his search for knowledge and the power it offers, he throws himself into the heart of weird shittery emphatically. A techno-Faust, willing to deal using Blood Magic and working with whomever offers the path to knowledge faster with less moral objection. In other words, definitely not a Templar. Ah. It gets the creative juices flowing.

For some reason, I just keep picturing the Medic from Team Fortress 2 - but mixed with Cave Johnson's boisterous amorality and that creepy nazi agent in black from Raiders of the Lost Ark. Vee velkom zees challange! Adsum!
" WARNING : Protection Tank will be Defensive. "
Darien

Unread post by Darien »

I think that 24-hour key is the best you'll get for free trial at this point. I gave it a whirl. It's interesting, but I don't think it'll hold me enough to be worth the initial cost for now. I honestly picked a deck with an outfit I liked and just started building the abilities, only to find out hours later that I was apparently a tank. That was amusing.
-
Abric
Lost

Unread post by Abric »

I may be putting a month or two into the subscription machine. The further along I am getting into the game with Thalevia - the more interesting the game has become.

Thal, Bart, Mohan, Araun, and I did the first two instances (or whatever they call them) and they were interesting and crazy. We made mistakes, a few of us were undergeared... but we modified our abilities and things went a lot better.

There are a lot of modern MMO elements in the game that please me. No idea what they have for end game PvE or PvP - but I give it the same weight as TOR; great game to play... but not something you'll stick with once you complete the story.
Krinathalasa
Lost

I've been playing some of the game and it is a fun way to pass the time. Not a fan of the graveyard system as some of the runs feel like old school Un'goro. Plus having to clear out the same area over and over to do different missions gets annoying fast. I miss being able to group up missions in WoW, blast them out all at the same time, go back and turn em in. In Secret World you'll hit the same place three or four times due to the fact you can have only 1 main mission going at any given time.

Puzzles..blow ass. I shouldn't have to hit up my friend who conducts orchestras just to figure out a password. I want to play the game, not have a fuckin history lesson.

Combat system seems streamlined and I like having 2 weapons and mixing the various abilities to create a synergistic build.

Three factions: Love. What a wonderful and refreshing idea. Illuminati rock btw. Sarcasm while killing people? Awesome.

Don't know if I am going to continue or not.
Bloodscream
Lost

Unread post by Bloodscream »

Just hit B, there's a built in browser and it's already populated with TSW related searches.
Abric
Lost

Unread post by Abric »

Krin no like thinking. KRIN SMASH!
Abric
Lost

Unread post by Abric »

Link.

Secret World will be having a free weekend for those who wanted to try it out. If you had an account (the 24-hour thing) then you can just reactivate it for the weekend.

I recommend it. It (so far) doesn't have the replay value of World of Warcraft, but I think it did a hell of a lot better than TOR when it came to skills, bosses, story, and missions. Thal and I are in Egypt (it comes after Solomon Island) and while they have petered off on some of the unique talkie-talk... the missions are enjoyable and pretty well invested. We had to decipher cryptology, Hebrew, binary, and follow a burning bush!
Krinathalasa
Lost

Looks like I'll be playing this weekend.
Abric
Lost

Unread post by Abric »

Duskheron

Unread post by Duskheron »

I think I liked your swtor chops better.
WRA Grim: Duskheron
Gazrit

Unread post by Gazrit »

It's better when he's tap dancing.
Uh, I got nothing.
Viktor

Unread post by Viktor »

Gazrit wrote:It's better when he's tap dancing.
I still haven't been able to figure out that games emote system. Need to sit down one day and just read up on all the chat commands.