Error 37.

Public Out of Character Board.
Darien

Re: Error 37.

Unread post by Darien »

I got that last night and spammed the hell out of it, no dice. Came back at about 6:30 my time, worked fine. Got in again at about 12:30 aaaaand fell asleep when they finally dropped the curtain on me.
-
Viktor

Unread post by Viktor »

Malstrom wrote:D3 review...hilarious
Best video game review I have read in months. At the bottom he even has 4 different screenshots. It is worth it to go through all four.
Kharzak

Unread post by Kharzak »

The pre-downloaded stuff I got over a week ago turned out to be corrupted I guess. I started from scratch late yesterday after it became apparent that the warez were fbuxord. After downloading and installing overnight I was able to verify that I could get to the log in screen before I had to shut everything down and head to work. Yay.
This is Wrath of Air Country! Select the superior air totem. Use Wrath of Air today!
Malstrom
Lost

Unread post by Malstrom »

Kharzak wrote:The pre-downloaded stuff I got over a week ago turned out to be corrupted I guess. I started from scratch late yesterday after it became apparent that the warez were fbuxord. After downloading and installing overnight I was able to verify that I could get to the log in screen before I had to shut everything down and head to work. Yay.

I hope you didn't do what I did. I had downloaded everything a few days ago not realizing that I was downloading the setup files (and that it wasn't installing the game itself). So last night I got home and accidently clicked on the BETA client and saw that it was gonna download 3.6GB and thought...wtf? Fortunately I have a fast connection and I was at 100% in an hour, launched the client, got the login screen, tried to login and got some esoteric error message, looked it up on google and found that it was related to trying to log in with the beta client.

The I ran the actual setup files and all was peachy.

But it annoyed the hell out of me that Blizzard was still allowing the beta to download. a) it wastes their bandwidth (and mine) and b) they know you're downloading something you will not be able to use.

Admittedly it was my inattention that caused the issue, but Blizzard is pissing me off these days. I really feel they have lost their touch. That they have stopped producing content for gamers and are now concentrating on "safe" releases for the masses. SC2 and D3 are not significantly different from their predecessors. Mists of Panderia seems to be dumbing down WoW...

IMHO, they spend too much effort finding ways to make money that are ancillary to the game itself. SC2 that has to be played through Battlenet seemed an effort to guaranty they get a piece of the competitive gaming market (South Korea!) and now they have a "real money" auction house where their take is 15%/$1 on each sale. 30% if you're trying to have the money dumped into Paypal...

I dunno. I used to expect so much from Blizzard. It saddens me to see that they seem to have gone corporate. The partnership with Activision seems to have watered them down, and made them risk averse.

Too bad. Blizzard used to be the best.

Mal
Yrzuli
Lost

Unread post by Yrzuli »

Krinathalasa
Lost

Unread post by Krinathalasa »

Malstrom wrote:
Kharzak wrote:The pre-downloaded stuff I got over a week ago turned out to be corrupted I guess. I started from scratch late yesterday after it became apparent that the warez were fbuxord. After downloading and installing overnight I was able to verify that I could get to the log in screen before I had to shut everything down and head to work. Yay.

I hope you didn't do what I did. I had downloaded everything a few days ago not realizing that I was downloading the setup files (and that it wasn't installing the game itself). So last night I got home and accidently clicked on the BETA client and saw that it was gonna download 3.6GB and thought...wtf? Fortunately I have a fast connection and I was at 100% in an hour, launched the client, got the login screen, tried to login and got some esoteric error message, looked it up on google and found that it was related to trying to log in with the beta client.

The I ran the actual setup files and all was peachy.

But it annoyed the hell out of me that Blizzard was still allowing the beta to download. a) it wastes their bandwidth (and mine) and b) they know you're downloading something you will not be able to use.

Admittedly it was my inattention that caused the issue, but Blizzard is pissing me off these days. I really feel they have lost their touch. That they have stopped producing content for gamers and are now concentrating on "safe" releases for the masses. SC2 and D3 are not significantly different from their predecessors. Mists of Panderia seems to be dumbing down WoW...

IMHO, they spend too much effort finding ways to make money that are ancillary to the game itself. SC2 that has to be played through Battlenet seemed an effort to guaranty they get a piece of the competitive gaming market (South Korea!) and now they have a "real money" auction house where their take is 15%/$1 on each sale. 30% if you're trying to have the money dumped into Paypal...

I dunno. I used to expect so much from Blizzard. It saddens me to see that they seem to have gone corporate. The partnership with Activision seems to have watered them down, and made them risk averse.

Too bad. Blizzard used to be the best.

Mal
Pretty much. All they care about now is the bottom line and it shows in shitastic launches like this and watered down product releases.
Mohan
Lost

Error 37.

Unread post by Mohan »

All they care about is the bottom line? Sorry, but a company that only cares about the bottom line doesn't go out of its way to take care of its Australian fans who got screwed out of their preordered games.

Sorry, but an open beta weekend, as a means to stress test the servers, is not, and never will be, an accurate predictor of how hardware is going to handle such an enormous influx of people on launch day. The amount of people that will log on to a beta is nowhere near the amount that go to log on at launch.

I guess I just don't understand the anger at not being able to play a game, which you own FOREVER now, right at launch.
Pincus

Unread post by Pincus »

Coyotl wrote:(img from CCP)
This. This is why they're doing things right. Someone needs a promotion.
Malstrom
Lost

Unread post by Malstrom »

Mohan wrote:All they care about is the bottom line? Sorry, but a company that only cares about the bottom line doesn't go out of its way to take care of its Australian fans who got screwed out of their preordered games.

Sorry, but an open beta weekend, as a means to stress test the servers, is not, and never will be, an accurate predictor of how hardware is going to handle such an enormous influx of people on launch day. The amount of people that will log on to a beta is nowhere near the amount that go to log on at launch.

I guess I just don't understand the anger at not being able to play a game, which you own FOREVER now, right at launch.
That was not my anger AT ALL. I was in no rush to play the game. Not a bit.

And when I ordered my authenticator from Blizzard, and UPS screwed the pooch, Blizzard sent me another one for free with minimal hassles. Nice guys imho.

My beef is purely with the GAMES themselves, which I feel are nowhere near groundbreaking as Blizzard's games were in the 90s.

Diablo, WoW and SC were game changers when they first came out. All 3 of them.

Diablo 3, SC2 and MoP are not. At all. There is little to no risk taken in these games to innovate anything. If anything what I am seeing in MoP is that it smells like they're dumbing down WoW to accommodate the masses. To be fair, they may be thinking that any gamer that thrives on innovation left WoW a long time ago, and so they are now catering to what they think of as their current player base. It might be true. The only thing keeping me here is you bozoes.

The only innovation I am seeing is how they make money on the side. They seem to be putting a lot of effort into that. Dude...a 30% cut on real money? 30% to be the middleman in a transaction? Holy fuck! That is some pricey shit right there.

I never said Blizzard was an evil company. I feel they have treated their users and fanbase very well. I just think they are now playing it safe and it bores me.

Mal
Abric
Lost

Unread post by Abric »

Truth. Of course, lack of innovation does not always mean lack of fun. Wings of Liberty and Diablo 3 are a fucking blast and I am sure the other two installments of Starcraft 2 are going to be just as good. Mists of Pandaria? Call what they do or say what you want to say ... every single one of us are going to play - no matter what we say to ourselves or those around us.

Blizzard continues to fix the shit that didn't work and puts in little things here and there to test the waters; which has (unfortunately) been blowing up in their faces. With Diablo 3, their huge innovation was the arena - which they could not complete and so they removed it for future (free) content.

The server hiccup for Blizzard is expected. Much like Bioware hiring shitty programmers and Betheseda having shitty game testers... Blizzard seems to have a bunch of fucking monkey's in charge of their servers. I don't envy those monkey's in the least, but with the amount of money Blizzard makes and the amount of effort the rest of the team (except for Metzen), you'd think they would find some motivated IT guys to handle a huge server(s).
Abric
Lost

Unread post by Abric »

Also, this is now required: We have a tabard option in the game.

Krinathalasa
Lost

Unread post by Krinathalasa »

Mohan wrote:All they care about is the bottom line? Sorry, but a company that only cares about the bottom line doesn't go out of its way to take care of its Australian fans who got screwed out of their preordered games.

You don't own the game. It is merely rented at $60. Once the servers shut down the game is no longer yours. All you have is 16 GB of junk. Blizzard knew ahead of time how much server load this was going to be with the presales. They have the money to make the process seamless. Unlike some I refuse to accept shady launch days because "it is expected". I refused to be programmed by corporate monkeys.

What made no sense is the various amount of strange errors people were getting on the Americas servers which forced the shutdowns when Asia was flying free. The game is essentially the same save for language packs and voice overs. Asia, which has far more people then us in the Americas, were able to take a server hit then there is no reason why Americas went down for so long.

Someone fucked up or else Activision just didn't care. Either way there is fail here.
Mohan
Lost

Error 37.

Unread post by Mohan »

To clarify, I was pretty much just responding to Krin. But he get pissed off at everything. If his breakfast is delicious, but not as delicious as usual, his entire day is fucking ruined.
Abric
Lost

Unread post by Abric »

He's a little more sailor than solider, at times.
Greebo

Unread post by Greebo »

well that didn't take long:
http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/05/16/diabl ... ing-guild/

Don't you have to win the game three times to reach Inferno level?
Grisbault, Twice-Made.
The p, s, l, and t are silent, the screams are not.