I agree.
Therean

Re: And then I saw her face...

Unread post by Therean »

yup
Viktor

Unread post by Viktor »

In his defense though these retardedly over priced cards that so over perform having one serves no actual purpose are actually already sold out on new egg.
Pincus

Unread post by Pincus »

Hey now, nVidia+CUDA can be used for more than crappy games.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/computatio ... istry.html

I've used my Fermi at home for some computational work. It's silly sick as to how much faster they are at parallel floating point number crunching versus any commercial CPU.

But, yea, I doubt Newegg's supply was bought by Universities or other purveyors of certain supercomputing clusters.
Greebo

Unread post by Greebo »

They're actually really useful for protein domain matching and sequence alignment which is string thing.
Grisbault, Twice-Made.
The p, s, l, and t are silent, the screams are not.
Viktor

Unread post by Viktor »

Greebo wrote:They're actually really useful for protein domain matching and sequence alignment which is string thing.
In layman's teams -

"They are really useful for stuff 99.99% of the people buying it aren't using it for. It is absolutely pointless for gaming which is the exact use 99.99% of people buying it are using it for."
Greebo

Unread post by Greebo »

And anyone who does buy one is more than welcome to mail it to me 24 hours later when they feel guilty. Although to be honest hardware has just as often been the leader over software as software has been ahead of hardware (When Crysis was first released there wasn't really any hardware at all that could run it a full detail at max rez). So this time around HW is in front. So games released in 6-12 months are going to see a huge jump in detail/physics/lighting.
Grisbault, Twice-Made.
The p, s, l, and t are silent, the screams are not.
Viktor

Unread post by Viktor »

Greebo wrote:So games released in 6-12 months are going to see a huge jump in detail/physics/lighting.
Actually they won't because hardware has been in front for a VERY long time. Crysis 2 for example by most peoples standards is actually visually less impressive than Crysis 1 was. Graphics in games are not getting better and better at a consistent rate and out side of a couple standouts like the Witcher 2 very few pc games even come close to stressing the current generation of cards, forget about the cutting edge.

Hell most will tell you the Witcher 2 is currently one of if not the most graphically impressive game out there and I can run it on mostly high settings for 30-40 fps and all I am packing is a 460 gtx.

In alot of ways it comes down to consoles. Most game makers know if they make their game console compatible they will have a greater chance at high overall sales. Look at Mass Effect 2 versus Dragon Age. Dragon Age did out sell it, but many attribute that to the fact that Dragon Age was also released on the PS3 where Mass Effect 2 didn't see a release on it until well after the original retail date.

So until the next generation of consoles is released don't expect a big hike in graphics. They also shouldn't be coming out for likely another 1.5 to 2 years. What is worse is when they do come out I can promise you they will be behind gaming pc specs from day one. No I don't just mean the top of the line ones either.
Ashenfury
Lost

Unread post by Ashenfury »

I disagree with you completely Viktor. Day 1 release of PS3 had several games that looked amazing and made PC players jealous for a couple of months. Then we started getting ports and our own graphical candy. Crysis 2 was dumbed down for consoles.

This card is the first of the next generation. I'm sure the technology within it is what developers are using to develop PS4 and neXtbox games. I also disagree that hardware has been ahead for a long time. Only the BLEEDING edge of hardware has been ahead. This card is bleeding edge and you're right it's a little ahead for right now but I promise it's not for long.

This post wasn't about practical application so much as holy fuck look at how badass this card is.
Kazthul
Lost

Unread post by Kazthul »

One thing to take note of when it comes to cards like these, a person like myself will in fact buy them.

It's a lot like a guy who runs out and buys a muscle car and then geeks out on tweaking it, its what they like to do, regardless of what your opinion is, people will spend extravagant sums of money on things that they get excited and geeky about.

I like building PC's that are just stupidly overpowered and serve no practical purpose whatsoever today because I can and I personally think it's cool and it's my hobby and it keeps me entertained. It's my muscle car as it were.

I'm sure somebody could point at your hobby and say your foolish for spending money on it. The proper response is pretty much "Fuck you, it makes me happy and I enjoy it, go play with your stamp collection."
Malstrom
Lost

Unread post by Malstrom »

Well I, for one, thought the demo was amazing and I want to play that game...

I am no longer an early adopter, but I am looking forward to this becoming the standard for gaming so I can pick up the card when it is more reasonably priced.

Mal