NextBox to block used games.

Public Out of Character Board.
Ashenfury
Lost

NextBox to block used games.

Unread post by Ashenfury »

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6349165.ht ... ag=nl.e513

Personally I don't mind a bit. GameStop and little kids sure will be throwing a fit though. Right or wrong it will have to happen to improve the quality of our games.
Abric
Lost

Re: NextBox to block used games.

Unread post by Abric »

Looks like there is absolutely no details - some guy said something to some other guy that was probably taken out of context.

The technology to do this is there (PC games do it through the access code), though it would certainly be cheesy and would put a real big drop in one of the great things about consoles - bringing your game to a buddies house to play some (insert game name here).
Ashenfury
Lost

Well the technology is there to piss people off or you can use existing DRM that most people like: Online. Xbox Live is already very similar to Steam. I'll bet a million that's how they do it. You register your game to your account. So if you want to go to little Billy's house to smash him in some Halo12 then he either doesn't have xboxlive, yay play offline or he does and you login to your account.

All problems solved, no angry people. The only people this pisses on is strictly used game retailers and their bargain bin hunting customers. If they do this right then I support it 100%, if they don't then it's just another failed DRM.
Greebo

Unread post by Greebo »

Always online is a bad choice and will lead to cracking. I'm not sure why you say it will have to happen to improve the quality of your games. Please show your work, and if you cite anything from the BSA I shall laugh.
Grisbault, Twice-Made.
The p, s, l, and t are silent, the screams are not.
Ashenfury
Lost

Game publishers have considered game trading a problem since NES. They make a game and sell 1 copy that gets resold 100x but they only see the original $60. I've read about it multiple times and I'm sure a quick Google would pull an article or 10. When your revenue jumps you are able to spend more money on the product. I'm not naive enough to think that all of the increased profits will go to development but you can rest assured that some of it certainly will.

It's the same thing with Piracy. If every pirate purchased their copies then the development of their future titles would have a bigger budget. This has nothing to do with piracy though.
Ashenfury
Lost

Abric
Lost

Unread post by Abric »

Heh, did you compare used game sales with piracy?
Greebo

Unread post by Greebo »

Consulting firms do not create reports for free. Who paid for the production of that report?

Speaking of piracy
http://www.geekwire.com/2011/experiment ... abe-newell
Grisbault, Twice-Made.
Ashenfury
Lost

You can say that the report was motivated and it probably was but that doesn't mean it's full of lies. How about straight from a developer and reported directly by GameSpy (neutral).

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/108/1089088p1.html

He says its a BIGGER problem than piracy!
Malstrom
Lost

Unread post by Malstrom »

Ashenfury wrote:Game publishers have considered game trading a problem since NES. They make a game and sell 1 copy that gets resold 100x but they only see the original $60. I've read about it multiple times and I'm sure a quick Google would pull an article or 10. When your revenue jumps you are able to spend more money on the product. I'm not naive enough to think that all of the increased profits will go to development but you can rest assured that some of it certainly will.

It's the same thing with Piracy. If every pirate purchased their copies then the development of their future titles would have a bigger budget. This has nothing to do with piracy though.
You know...

COD:MW3 - $400 million the first day, $775 million the first 5 days

Skyrim - $450 million the first week

SWTOR: $15 million *profit* a month

WOW: Roughly a billion dollars a year

Cry me a river about their lost profits.

What's next? I can't resell my car because the car companies want more revenue? My toaster?

I call bullshit.

Mal
Ashenfury
Lost

Haha, cry ME a river. You're the ones who will be getting a feature that pisses you off. I like it.
Malstrom
Lost

Unread post by Malstrom »

Ashenfury wrote:Haha, cry ME a river. You're the ones who will be getting a feature that pisses you off. I like it.
Wrongo! I don't buy Microsoft crap.

But when they start applying this philosophy to other things in your life, you'll be crying too...

Mal
Greebo

Unread post by Greebo »

I am sure that Pincus will be happy to set up a $1/post transaction fee. "For your convenience."
Grisbault, Twice-Made.
Krinathalasa
Lost

Unread post by Krinathalasa »

Gotta agree with Mal here. Used games is no different then any other used market. As long as people are willing to pay for them then there will be such a thing.

If Microsoft and the rest of the greedy fat cats try to circumvent the used market they will simply push people who are on the fence on piracy to do just that. The used market allows those who can't afford 50+ bucks a game to be able to buy it cheaper and thus enjoy the game and continue to play more games.

I hope they try this bullshit. You'll find a lot of people telling them to fuck off and find a different alternative to their system.

Or just play Skyrim with mods. Yum.
Yichimet

Unread post by Yichimet »

Do used book stores piss you off too?