One Step Closer

Public Out of Character Board.
Ashenfury
Lost

One Step Closer

Unread post by Ashenfury »

So this initiative isn't for 'medical' marijuana for sick people. It is flat out legalization similar to alcohol. I doubt that it will pass only due to the people who sit in power to stop it. If this keeps happening it will eventually give out to legalization though so it's good to see the movement that much closer to it's ultimate goals.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/ ... iative-502
Cristok
Lost

Re: One Step Closer

Unread post by Cristok »

I remember being twelves years old with my Dad handing out NORMAL flyers on 6th street in Austin Tx. The movement has come a long way since then and legal weed is something that state after state state seems to want. The feds can ignore the will of these states for only so long. There is no single issue that our country faces that is so clear cut to me. With a change in marijuana law we could free up tax resources, aleviate jails, and end a real social injustice. One step closer indeed.
Malebrignon
Lost

Unread post by Malebrignon »

But there's the potential for it to cut into Big Tobacco's profits, so it's in the politicians' best interest to keep it illegal. I really do believe it's that simple.
Cristok
Lost

Unread post by Cristok »

Malebrignon wrote:But there's the potential for it to cut into Big Tobacco's profits, so it's in the politicians' best interest to keep it illegal. I really do believe it's that simple.
Despite that, they wont win forever.
Krinathalasa
Lost

Unread post by Krinathalasa »

Not unless you get more people to support the cause. Keep in mind that Big Business fuels our political system at this point. What will have to happen is that the people will want to have it and the Government will see that they will make more money from taxing the living hell out of pot then they will from cigarettes or what not. Won't happen in our lifetime.
Ashenfury
Lost

Uhhh... you think Marlboro won't be the very first major distributor of Marijuana?
Anaie
Lost

Unread post by Anaie »

The problem is that there are already people that have more know-how and capability to be the "Big Weed" companies. Tobacco would have to scrap their current crops, or acquire more land appropriate for growing pot. Also, even if legalized, the restrictions on securing the crops will be much higher than securing a tobacco field.

Plus, with how they have added in addictive chemicals to cigarettes, would you trust Big Tobacco's pot?
Knithawk

Unread post by Knithawk »

Anaie wrote:
Plus, with how they have added in addictive chemicals to cigarettes, would you trust Big Tobacco's pot?
More than the folks I'm getting it from now, yes. Wouldn't the FDA have to step in and set guidelines? The only worry the dealers I get it from now have is the cops. Once its decriminalized and put into mass production, won't the producers have to worry about the health department always watching over their shoulders?

And as far as adding chemicals go, I think the legal product will sell much better with ALL NATURAL stamped all over it.
PEACE THROUGH ANNIHILATION, AT ANY COST!
Cristok
Lost

Unread post by Cristok »

If one looks at the legal growing going on currently you will see what the future in this industry is. Highly regulated and non-profit. MSNBC had a pretty good documentary on it. I dont think you will/should have for profit pot corporations anytime soon but in our lifetimes you will see 'legal' weed or at least decriminalization. As long as it is highly regulated you will still have dealers and rogue growers, but hopefully the price will fall as law enforcement is taken out of the equation. Big tobbaco is one of the major contributors to Partnership for a Drug Free America (or is that Budweiser? *doesnt bother to fact check*) and I think they are so regulated I doubt anyone would let them make money off pot. Dont they still owe the govt like 10 billion gazilion bucks?
Ashenfury
Lost

I disagree. Pot is going to be broken down into 10 different patented medicines and sold at any level. Once it is legal anyone can grow it. This same argument happened with tobacco. Phillip Morris didn't cram chemicals into their smokes at the beginning. Most of the ones used they are forced to put in there for different reasons.

I'm not defending the big names I'm just pointing out that they would definitely capitalize on the drug if it were legal. In the beginning they would have competition until lobbyist get laws passed to push anyone out except big business. The wheels of corruption turn slowly. Greed is 10 steps ahead though.
Cristok
Lost

Unread post by Cristok »

You're being paranoid Ash. Those slow turning wheels you speak of are way in t he future. Right now its all non-profit and Im certain thats how they advance the cause. You will see my friend.
Ashenfury
Lost

We will see what wins out in a lobbying capitalist economy (I'm republican, I love lobbying capitalists). Greed or non-profit hippy love. I'll place my bets on greed ;)
Therean

Unread post by Therean »

Greed is the single most benevolent human emotion. It has put an end to wide spread war, floated an unprecedented economy with ever soaring prosperity that has seen more so than any other period in time ordinary common people enjoying fantasctic living standards and freedoms, it has pushed a technological boom that dwarfs the entirety of human history in less than a century.

Greed saved us.
Canaie
Irredeemable

Unread post by Canaie »

Holy crap! Therean is in reality Gordon Gekko.
Cristok
Lost

Unread post by Cristok »

Therean wrote:Greed is the single most benevolent human emotion. It has put an end to wide spread war, floated an unprecedented economy with ever soaring prosperity that has seen more so than any other period in time ordinary common people enjoying fantasctic living standards and freedoms, it has pushed a technological boom that dwarfs the entirety of human history in less than a century.

Greed saved us.
One must ignore a constant historical fight to balance capitalism with social goals in our current system to believe that the economic system by itself is the cause for all this freedom and innovation. We've never ever had a lazie faire system in the U.S. , nor should we. Indeed Ash (despite somehow being a republican) is overly concerned with the pervasiveness of capitalism and Im trying to point out that at no point has the U.S ever had utter capitalism and at no point in the future will we, so chill. Its not who we are or who we should be. We are a balance...the balance my friend *smokes of the herb and rpees*