Help!! (Keyboard I MIGHT get need suggestions)

Public Out of Character Board.
Kailei

Unread post by Kailei »

Well I finally found the damn gaming keyboard that I wanted...before I go ahead and spend 90 bucks on it, I wanted some opinions from my fellow Grim...

Link to the keyboard:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-920-0025 ... lectronics

I really like the "G" keys...and their positioning...would REALLY help me not be such a noob on Kailei and fumbling for my stupid F buttons.

But what do you guys think?
-First and foremost, is always, for the Horde.
Ashenfury
Lost

Re: Help!! (Keyboard I MIGHT get need suggestions)

Unread post by Ashenfury »

That's what I have. <3 it.

Uhhh... if you don't know how to write a macro then consider the side buttons nothing more than extra buttons. You will have to make them bound to things like SHIFT+CTRL+A so that nothing else will interfere with their bindings. If you do get into macros and you know a bit of scripting this keyboard could be amazing. I'm into both and I still have yet to make my keyboard do either.

The LCD readout doesn't seem useful when you first get it but after you preen what programs you want it to run and their display priority it is VERY nice. For instance I no longer use a mumble overlay, it's on my LCD readout instead. Very nice. That last screenshot was a fluke since I've recently re-installed mumble :P

Please be aware that I do have one MAJOR complaint on this keyboard and that's the brightness of the LEDs. I've written a full review of it at http://www.ShaggyDad.com under hardware reviews. Or my blog http://www.AwayFromKeyboard.org .

EDIT: My brother got this keyboard too and he said he likes his Cyborg a whole lot more.
Last edited by Ashenfury on Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canaie
Irredeemable

Unread post by Canaie »

I don't have this one, so I don't really know.

Just keep in mind that macroing stuff on your fancy keyboard is technically against Blizzards ToS.
Kailei

Unread post by Kailei »

Wait...so using the fancy buttons is against the rules??

I'm so confused...LOL
Ashenfury
Lost

Using complex macros outside of WoW for in-game benefit is against ToS.

EDIT: That was put in for botting and BG afkers. I have never heard of this enforced in the many years I have played but no, if you're just using those side keys as extra buttons that is perfectly okay.
Kailei

Unread post by Kailei »

So from what I read on that thread, from the Blue post what I understand is i CAN use the "G" keys for keystroke things in WoW that are possible.

So for instance a spell cast macro that /uses my trinket and say casts holy light...I CAN keybind to those keys instead of using something silly like SHIFT + F...
Kailei

Unread post by Kailei »

Or am I wrong?
Ashenfury
Lost

I liked to use the silly bindings because I play a metric shit ton of games and that works in all of them.
Kailei

Unread post by Kailei »

All I wanna do is bind like my numeric bar to those SIDE "G" buttons so that way it's easier to see...(and possibly color coded) if i go that route.
Deminthus

Unread post by Deminthus »

You are correct.

I have a God mode button on my G key with the following macro:

#showtooltip Avenging Wrath
/cast Divine Favor
/use Ruthless Gladiator's Badge of Dominance
/cast Avenging Wrath

No GCD and blows all three CDs at the same time.
Grainger

Unread post by Grainger »

The part that is against the ToS is using the G keys to setup macros that imitate multiple key strokes. When building G-Macros you can put in pauses that wait for the gcd in wow.

Say, for example, your opening sequence of casts is key bound to 1,2,3,4. A regular wow macro with those four spells requires you to press the same key four times - that's perfectly allowable. With the G-Macros and inserted pauses you could make that fire off with just one key press - that's the part that breaks the ToS.

In reality though using pauses in macros for regular play doesn't work out that well, I tried it once with Jurani's opening shadow sequence and never gets it quite right because of haste affecting the gcd. I can do it quicker with spamming a single key with a /cast sequence macro.

Mapping a single key press to the G keys is perfect legal and allowable, i.e. your example of Shit+F.

I have the G19 not the 510 and I like the keyboard a lot (the little screen is sweet too as WoW supports it and provides useful information on it).
Kailei

Unread post by Kailei »

Oh AWESOME! Thank you for clearing that up...Cause yeah that sorta macro'd be too damn complex for lil ol' me anyways.

I think I am gonna hit buy this thing now button...yes yes i is.
Jafylas
Lost

Unread post by Jafylas »

I miss my old original g15 with the flip screen ;(
Pincus

Unread post by Pincus »

Got the G15 here, and it still works (and the display runs nicely in Linux, as well).

As for the macros, I did try at one time to get the G keys to run through an opening salvo, and as Grainger noted, it didn't work too well. I also, if I recall, set it up so that a repeated keydown of a key would change what gets typed, so you can cycle 1 2 3 4 with 4 presses of the same key. That one was a bit more dangerous...since you had to remember how many times said key was pressed to know where in the sequence you were. Don't know if the new software can do that now, though.

In the end, I used it like Grainger mentioned. As a way to add more keys+modifiers so I don't have to keep hunting for Shift/Alt/Etc/Meta/Ctrl.

As for ToS issues, Blizzard probably knows if you're using one (love to see someone dig in the network packets to see if they can find something), but I know some touch typists that can pound out keys as fast as a macro...