Need Book recommendations!

Public Out of Character Board.
Thalevia
Lost

Need Book recommendations!

Unread post by Thalevia »

Trying to stock up my Kindle with books before I head off in august and need some suggestions. So Grim's, toss some good entertaining books my way! Preferably ones that aren't 15 dollars a piece.
Yemana
Lost

Re: Need Book recommendations!

Unread post by Yemana »

Yemana sees someone standing in front of a flag and be like RAWR MOTHERFUCKER!!!!
Pincus

Unread post by Pincus »

The Road to Ubar
Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynmann
The Partly Cloudy Patriot (wifey read that one)
When You Are Engulfed In Flames (another wifey read)
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (Haven't gotten to it yet...but it's a VERY interesting story about medical ethics)
Yrzuli
Lost

Unread post by Yrzuli »

Ashenfury
Lost

Unread post by Ashenfury »

This guy is a scientist (quantum physicist I think) and has some really great writing:

Fantasy:
Songs of Earth and Power

Science Fiction:
Moving Mars
Eon - Eternity - Legacy

Most of Margarette Weis and Tracy Hickman leaves much to be desired. Their masterpiece explains the birth of the greatest warrior and mage ever to exist. This is the intro and very well written:
Soulforge
Mortica

Unread post by Mortica »

Anything by CS Friedman. A list of her work: http://www.csfriedman.com/novels.htm

If you don't mind committing to a trilogy, I highly recommend the coldfire books. If you want a solo work, try either The Madness Season or In Conquest Born.
Yichimet

Unread post by Yichimet »

Here are the books I've read recently or will be taking with me on vacation next week:

The wise man's fear by Patrick Rothfuss (sequel to Name of the wind)
The curse of the wendigo by Rick Yancey
Reality is broken by Jane McGonigal
The 13 1/2 lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers
Sputnik sweetheart by Haruki Murakami
The ask and the answer by Patrick Ness (sequel to The knife of never letting go)
Swamplandia! by Karen Russell
The sparrow by Mary Doria Russell
Perdido Street Station by China Mieville
Looking for Alaska by John Green
The Information: a history, a theory, a flood by James Gleick

First two I just finished. Wise man's fear was a little gary sue for me to really loooove it, but it was pretty good. Curse of the wendigo is probably the best horror novel I've read in a long time--Yancey writes like Mary Shelley inhabiting Stephen King's body. The rest I'm reading because I either love the author and have read their work before or they came highly recommended.
Anavarra

Unread post by Anavarra »

I'm personally a huge fan of David Weber's books, so I would recommend the Honor Harrington series (start with On Basilisk Station). But really, just swing over to the Baen free library and check out some of their titles. http://www.baen.com/library/
There are tons of great books up there, and you can get them free of charge!
Malebrignon
Lost

Unread post by Malebrignon »

I always recommend The Green Sky Trilogy by Zilpha Keatley Snyder. They're aimed at more of a young teen reader than adults, but the fantasy is brilliant and the message is timeless. Titles are Below the Root, And All Between, Until the Celebration. See what she did there?

Thanks to e-bay, I managed to acquire hardback copies of all three and have kept them within arm's length of my desk for over ten years. No clue if they've been made available for digital viewing.

I also have a tendency to point folks towards Robert Silverberg's The World Inside, which is a utopian / dystopian novel depending on your perspective. I can tell a lot about someone just by which of those two words they choose to describe it.

Oh, and simply because most people are familiar with a horribly bastardized version of the story, I encourage everyone to read Rober Louis Stevenson's Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Forever one of my favorites. Also a big fan of Stevenson's lyrics, though few are familiar with his songwriting.
Krinathalasa
Lost

Unread post by Krinathalasa »

The Elenium and The Tamuli series by David Eddings.

Rereading them again and still love em. Epic fantasy with sarcastic humor. My cup of tea.
Kharzak

Unread post by Kharzak »

Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco
Floating Worlds by Cecelia Holland
A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin
This is Wrath of Air Country! Select the superior air totem. Use Wrath of Air today!
Greebo

Unread post by Greebo »

Kharzak wrote: A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin
Ged rocks so hard it isn't funny.
Grisbault, Twice-Made.
The p, s, l, and t are silent, the screams are not.
Kazthul
Lost

Unread post by Kazthul »

Frank Herbert's Dune series.
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K Dick.
Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.
J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings series.
David Edding's Belgariad and Malloreon series.
R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt books. Haven't ready anything else he did, but I liked these.
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess.
Chuck Palahinuk's Fight Club and all his other books I've read so far.

Wife read the George R.R. Martin A Song of Fire and Ice series, she said its good and HBO series rocked.
Ashenfury
Lost

Unread post by Ashenfury »

Kazthul wrote:Frank Herbert's Dune series.
Pure excellence.
Pincus

Unread post by Pincus »

Please note that the point of this thread is for books before she travels. Now she's digging through dirt and fighting Nazis.