The Grim Cooking Thread

Public Out of Character Board.
Neevah

Re: The Grim Cooking Thread

Unread post by Neevah »

That looks so good Aureliya!

I tried making a cheesy ham and potato casserole in my crockpot with leftover ham. It was ok, but holy salt city! I didn't add any extra seasoning to it since I thought the seasoning from the ham would do it for me, and I trimmed off excess fat and scraped off the congealed fat and juices.
opalexian

Unread post by opalexian »

Faeriel wrote:More recipes!

Allison and I make most of meals in our crockpot. Prep is usually pretty easy, and it ensures we have a good meal waiting at the end of a long day. Here's one I'm whipping up today that's pretty tasty.

Pakistani Brisket

Let's say, you like Brisket. But, you're not a big fan of Barbeque brisket, for, whatever reason. Let's also assume that things like ginger, garlic, and garam masala are things you want to put in your mouth. Then this brisket is for you! I've made this several times, and it always turns out delicious (well, except that time I used cayenne pepper instead of chili powder. That was a bit unpleasant). It's also super easy to make, since, if you don't feel like doing all that "spice combining" and "grinding into a paste" you can just throw all the spices on top of the brisket, scoop on the minced garlic and ginger and just forget about it.

Not that I'd ever be that lazy or anything.
SHIT SON! I need to get my crock pot fixed! O_O

<3 garam masala
SURVEY SAYS: Sandwiches cut in 1/2 catty-corner taste 5 times better than those cut lengthwise!

FFXIV-Linji Zlykot, Queen of ALL THE THINGS
WoW (retired)-Opalexian, Killyzix, Yuolin, Sujibga, Hajae, Oxauun, Rasputine
Valindria
Lost

Unread post by Valindria »

Val's Pho [or soup, if you're the technical type - if you're the nitpick type in the kitchen, don't make this recipe, I made it via eyeballing]

This recipe is for two hungry people, you'll want noodle bowls that could double as helmets. Goes well with sake. I might be biased. I have a bland palette, so the seasoning is as desired, but I tend to use either curry or garlic powder. The other half tells me that Sriracha tastes great in it [as it presumably does with everything]. This can be made in less than half an hour from start to serve.

2 32oz containers of chicken stock [which is two containers - Costco sells these in six packs]
2 "handfuls" of Japanese somen noodles [these noodles sell here in packs of three "handfuls", so have a ziplock bag handy to stow the remainder. They will have a white tie around each "handful" for easy measuring.]
a 1/2" pile of garlic powder poured in your palm [or other desired seasoning]
2 packets of TrueLemon crystallized lemon [or other seasoning as desired]
1 chicken breast, diced
3 eggs, "scrambled"

In a gallon pot, start warming your stock on "medium to high".
Prep the chicken breast, removing all fat. This will take the most time. On medium setting, your stock will be ready in roughly 15 minutes or so, which is about how long it takes to dice the chicken.
When the chicken is prepped, take each "handful" of somen noodle and break each into quarters. Measure a rough few inches from each end, then break the remainder in half.
Have some sake.
Test your somen noodles for readiness. If they're close to being ready, add the diced chicken.
Have some more sake.
Scramble 3 eggs in the leftover bowl. When the chicken and somen are cooked, add the eggs in two slow pours. Stir gently, two waves of the spoon for each pour. Turn off the burner.

Serve, adding other seasoning and veggies as desired. Have more sake.
Keeper of the Vault, pseudo CFO
[Now shut up and give me your money! =P]
Ashenfury
Lost

Unread post by Ashenfury »

Thalevia wrote:Extremely simple, looks messy but is awesome. All amounts are approximate due to my aunts and mothers years of making it means no measurements when I learned.

Simple curry:

4 chicken thighs, bone in (more or less depending on how many you are feeding)
flour
curry powder
large can of tomato chunks (not drained)
milk
salt and pepper to taste
rice(not jasmine or other such type, it tastes funny with this, just plain old white or brown is best)

Mix flour and tbsp or two of curry powder and coat chicken
Fry up chicken in little oil until brown.
Add milk to pot enough to cover chicken and simmer (we use most of a 2L carton for a pack of 8 thighs and drumsticks)
Stir in tomatoes little at a time so milk doesn't curdle and if it does, doesn't matter
Add more curry powder, salt and pepper until meat is cooked and falling from bones. (Tastes better the longer it cooks) The chicken should be falling apart and not be really chunky
Remove bones, skin and other non-edible bits from pot, leaving all the meat in
Check flavor, add more spices if needed and let simmer a bit longer to incorporate.
Spoon over rice and enjoy. Extremely awesome reheated the next day. My great aunt used to make a huge stock pot of the stuff and keep it in her cold room in the basement and we would go scoop some out and heat it up in a smaller pot for supper.

The curry should be a rich yellow colour with bits of red tomato in it. If you like, you can add green peppers, my mother swears its better that way but green peppers are the mother freaking devil so she doesn't use them in it for my sake.
So I've started going buckwild with cooking once I started taking care of my daughter full time. I would like to recommend using coconut milk instead of regular milk (goat milk works great too!).

I also would like to know why you're using tomato? Is it to bring out a certain flavor or to put one in? I never would have thought to put that in. Ever.
Thalevia
Lost

Unread post by Thalevia »

It was a recipe my grandmother and her sister found somewhere. We don't know where and it called for tomato chunks. We use normal milk cause that's what they did. It's not really a thai curry so thus not using coconut milk but you probably could.
Ashenfury
Lost

Unread post by Ashenfury »

Awesome. I'm going to try it tonight with goat milk since it's thick but not sweet. I'll let you know how it turns out. I still mess up a lot.
Syreenna
Irredeemable

Unread post by Syreenna »

Thread necromancy!

Mexican Rice

We found this recipe two weeks ago, and I'm making it for the third time tonight.

1 tbsp olive oil
½ cup chopped onion
2 cups cooked rice
1 (15oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (14.5ox) can chili-style diced tomatoes (we use dice tomatoes with chopped chili peppers, medium strength)
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic salt
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp salt
1 (8oz) package shredded Mexican cheese blend
4 green peppers, seeded and tops cut off (for stuffed peppers)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F)
2. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir onion until softened.
3. Mix rice, black beans, tomatoes, and cooked onion in a large bowl.
4. Add chili powder, garlic salt, cumin, salt; stir until evenly mixed.
5. Fold 1 ½ cups Mexican cheese blend into rice mixture.
6. Spoon mixture into four green peppers or into a 2-quart casserole dish.
7. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top.
8. Bake in preheated oven until cheese is melted and bubbling, about 30 minutes.

Eat plain, in a wrap, with tortilla chips. It is YUMMY!

---------------------------------

Apple Cake

Grainger and the Grimling make this cake disappear within three days. I need to find a way to make a homemade version of this to eliminate the manufactured mixes, but it is tasty!

Cake:
1 pkg (2-layer size) yellow cake mix
1 pkg (3.4 oz) vanilla instant pudding mix
4 eggs
2/3 cup water
½ cup oil
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3 green apples peeled, coarsely chopped

Icing:
¾ cup powdered sugar
1 tsp water

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees (F)
2. Beat first 6 ingredients in a large bowl with mixer until well blended. Stir in apples.
3. Pour into greased and floured 12 cup Bundt pan.*
4. Bake 1 hour or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
5. Cool in pan 15 minutes. Loosen cake from side of pan with knife. Invert cake onto wire rack (I use a plate)
6. Cool cake completely.
7. For icing, whisk powdered sugar, and 1 tsp water until well blended. Add water if necessary, tiny bit at a time. Drizzle over cake.
8. Let stand until icing is firm.

*Cake can also be baked in a 13 X 9 inch pan. Bake 38-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Alts: Lirsha Deathwhistle & Ayidda
Canaie
Irredeemable

Unread post by Canaie »

Even more necromancy! Absolutely delicious: https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2018/10 ... ayote.html