Hardware Thread

Public Out of Character Board.
Greebo

Hardware Thread

Unread post by Greebo »

So if you are thinking of buying some new hardware for Christmas - Tom's has a review that talks about WoW performance.
Grisbault, Twice-Made.
The p, s, l, and t are silent, the screams are not.
Frygyd

Re: Hardware Thread

Unread post by Frygyd »

This part was useful ...
As it turns out, Cataclysm incorporates experimental support for DirectX 11, and rather than adding anything visually, it's designed to help speed up performance, too.
To enable DirectX 11 for WoW open your config.wtf file (located in ...\World of Warcraft\WTF\) and add the line SET gxApi "d3d11".
Tinkitz

Unread post by Tinkitz »

This makes me want to upgrade my PC.

Damn you, Greebo! Damn you to heck!
Yrzuli
Lost

Unread post by Yrzuli »

Frygyd wrote:This part was useful ...
As it turns out, Cataclysm incorporates experimental support for DirectX 11, and rather than adding anything visually, it's designed to help speed up performance, too.
To enable DirectX 11 for WoW open your config.wtf file (located in ...\World of Warcraft\WTF\) and add the line SET gxApi "d3d11".
I actually HAVE TO run WoW in DX11 mode, or else I get this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sgaileach/ ... 9215/show/

Started in... alpha? Whenever they introduced the DX11 mode. It's half the reason why I wasn't around much in beta, because it took me months before someone else found a solution (Blizz tech support had me try like 2 possible fixes, neither of which was switching into DX11, and the thread got buried, unresponded to, when I said neither worked).
Grainger

Unread post by Grainger »

DX11 Ultra is actually less fps than DX10 Ultra as it enables more goodies. (Some more stuff with the water and bits and pieces). Its *only* on Ultra everything that this happens. Anything less than Ultra DX11 should be faster.

With DX10 I can stay at the vsync limit of 60fps at 2560x1600, with DX11 it'll be closer to 45fps. Part of that is because WoW is cpu bound, not gpu bound at that level. They need to use more cores damnit !!
Yrzuli
Lost

Unread post by Yrzuli »

Grainger wrote:They need to use more cores damnit !!
I agree!

I also noticed what you said about lower FPS in DX11. I kinda laughed whenever I read the boards and saw people bragging about how much better their FPS and performance was with DX11, when I noticed mine clearly go down. I wouldn't be using it, except for the fact that if I don't, the ground tears and shows hidden textures.
Grainger

Unread post by Grainger »

Yeah, its sad. I monitor the two 5870's and they're only being pushed to half max clock speed with WoW.