Do you know what really grinds my gears...

Public Out of Character Board.
Xondor

Do you know what really grinds my gears...

Unread post by Xondor »

When companies use bullshit incentives to make employees feel like they give a shit when they really dont... you know what I mean... when they give these stupid little tokens of appreciate that cost the company nothing yet we, as employees, are supposed to be thankful we get.

From the company CEO: While we know we used to give out gift cards for a turkey at Thanksgiving, we have decided that even though we arent in a recession and have actually gained a significant amount of business we arent going to continue that program... instead though... all next week you can wear casual clothes!! We appreciate the work you do all year so go ahead and wear your jeans and tshirts Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. Please be sure to ad hear to the normal casual Friday dress code. Thanks.

Fuck you company. I dont want to wear jeans. I dont want you giving me this bullshit "gift" in efforts to mask the fact you dip into another employee incentive to save yourself a couple bucks but instead of completely throwing me over the desk you at least offer to let me wear a casual outfit while you do it.

And that really grinds my gears.
Canaie
Irredeemable

Re: Do you know what really grinds my gears...

Unread post by Canaie »

It's Office Space all over again.
Immermnemion Dawnbringer

Unread post by Immermnemion Dawnbringer »

I don't do casual Fridays; business is business.
Xondor

Unread post by Xondor »

Id show up in my boxers and bunny slippers if they would let me.

**breaks out 1990's**

I go to work to work not for a fashion show...
Gint

Unread post by Gint »

Hah, damn, some companies will do anything to save a buck, eh? I like how the try to mask the fact they're no longer giving you anything with some sort of "perk" instead that costs them not a single nickel.

Corporate environments... yeesh.
Immermnemion Dawnbringer

Xondor wrote: I go to work to work not for a fashion show...

Dress codes prevent such fashion shows by keeping things sensible. Lots of people take "casual" to mean whatever-the-hell-I-want.

The school I used to teach at had "no trasparent clothing" as part of the dress code.

Now - ask yourself: Why did they have to add that rule?

Someone had to break it.

I know if you were wearing transparent clothing, I may be a little distracted <3.
Yrzuli
Lost

Unread post by Yrzuli »

Xondor wrote:... we have decided that even though we arent in a recession and have actually gained a significant amount of business ...
Hope you guys got raises this year, and I don't mean simple cost-of-living raises either.
Syreenna
Irredeemable

Unread post by Syreenna »

I was just wondering today where my holiday gift card was.

I'm off next week. Enjoy wearing your jeans. :P
Allison

Unread post by Allison »

Xondor wrote:Id show up in my boxers and bunny slippers if they would let me.
This is why I love telecommute days.
Yichimet

Unread post by Yichimet »

One downside to working in a library: reference desk work is hard for telecommuting.
Immermnemion Dawnbringer

Yichimet wrote:reference desk work is hard

/giggle
Yrzuli
Lost

Unread post by Yrzuli »

Yichimet wrote:... reference desk work is hard ...
Reading email and checking Facebook must be awful. ;-)

At least, that's all I've seen done at our reference desk. "Second busiest library in the county" my ass. Half my days thus far have been deemed "abnomally slow". At least the people are cool.
Pincus

Unread post by Pincus »

I need to collect Yichi's rambling in the grimooc chatroom and share them, then... There was some dance night or something that seemed...bizzare.
Bloodscream
Lost

Unread post by Bloodscream »

Well here then just for you...

Last Sunday, hanging with Mal and Greebs... get home around 11:30pm and I know as I crawl into bed that India is going to call me around 2:30am when they start having network problems...
1:00am get woken up by my phone... it's India, I was off by a bit...
I'm up and on the computer and trouble shooting India (Needle in a haystack anyone?) who has intermittent problems connecting to servers in the US... work on that till 5:00am, go back to sleep.
Get woken up at 9:00am, phone call from some executive... I'm needed in a conference call to explain something or other to some idiot... spend all day in calls, preparing for the follow up stuff that'll need to happen Monday night... work till midnightish... go to bed.
Woken up at 3:00am...It's India again... same problem... work on that till 5:00am... pass out.
Get woken up at 8:30am... I am needed on a conference call again... spend 90 minutes in a call explaining what we did and what we had to do that evening...

20 minutes later I'm on the phone with my boss and a guy from HR and being told that my position has been downsized effective immediately.

Corporations are such cold fuckers...
Syreenna
Irredeemable

Unread post by Syreenna »

....getting called at home at a Sunday morning to connect in and fix mystery problems that shouldn't be happening.

grrrrrrr

Also, Blood, that really sucks! Will your boss be the one to get the 2AM phone calls now?
Alts: Lirsha Deathwhistle & Ayidda