New Heights (What are some ways to increase bandwidth?)

Public Out of Character Board.
Ulrezaj

New Heights (What are some ways to increase bandwidth?)

Unread post by Ulrezaj »

I'm experiencing moderate to severe frustration when I lag out of the game every time I log on now. Frontier has progressively gotten less and less helpful as I've called them. I've even argued about how the internet is lagging absurdly and they say it should be fine.

It's not. Their skepticism is unwarranted at this point and, after replacing the modem, replacing cords attached to the modem, as well as looking up other potential companies, I've learned that they're nearly monopolized on the rural region. The solution isn't all that obvious right now.

Have a look at this.
Lag of Ages.jpg
Lag of Ages.jpg (74.19 KiB) Viewed 4496 times
Nokokomah
Lost

Re: New Heights (What are some ways to increase bandwidth?)

Unread post by Nokokomah »

I'd start with a ping test. That'll tell you if you're getting errors on your connection. If so, that's definitely your service provider's problem (unless they narrow it down to the wiring inside your house, but sounds like they haven't even tried to do any fault isolation). Do this:

Open up a command prompt (Start --> type 'cmd' and enter)
Type "ping -t google.com"

Give it a good hour or so, particularly when you're noticing huge lag, then hit ctrl-c. It'll give you a summary of the percentage of errors you've received (the % packet loss). A high number indicates a bad connection between you and your service provider.

Additionally, do this on multiple computers in the house, if you have any others. Then you can rule out a computer-specific problem and narrow it down to the router or further out.

Also, it did sound like you were using a wired connection, but be sure you're not on wireless when you do this, because that could be causing the problem if there's interference about.

Hopefully if you provide this data to the service provider, they'll be willing to take a closer look.

18:41:20 [Lilliana-TwistingNether]: I don't know how to play the game, just rp.
21:31:21 [Ulrezaj-TwistingNether]: What are we without the bw?
Ulrezaj

Unread post by Ulrezaj »

Would it be fine to do things on the computer during that time or no?
Nokokomah
Lost

Yes, that's fine.

Canaie
Irredeemable

Unread post by Canaie »

Blizz has some tools and support articles on this. https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/7648 and https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/718

Also, are you having connection issues to just WoW and everything else is fine?
Ulrezaj

Unread post by Ulrezaj »

Heh, I've been experiencing high levels of MS. Even from the desktop that's connected to the modem, the Command Prompt shows 100 consistently. By evening, it will multiply to drastic numbers.
Aderlee
Lost

Unread post by Aderlee »

Occasionally I have a very poor connection to WoW and it seems to be from a node somewhere between San Diego and the server (on all the forums and such, it seems to only affect SD folks). I reroute my VPN through LA or somewhere further east and it always fixed my problem immediately. Maybe you're having a similar issue and you can test that out with a VPN.
Nokokomah
Lost

100ms isn't huge. Packet loss will be the biggest indicator that it's faulty equipment somewhere. If you do start seeing higher ping rates, it might indicate something more like what Aderlee is talking about.