Demon hunters and the 3rd war/ Story RP guidance

Public Out of Character Board.
Riplie
Irredeemable

Demon hunters and the 3rd war/ Story RP guidance

Unread post by Riplie »

So, with the upcoming Xpac, and the fact I'm not back, I'm looking very seriously at Demon Hunter. Fun play style that isn't GCD locked, easy to be good, hard to be great etc etc. I had initially thought of having my demon hunter show up as Tradire's sister. Since I have so much time /s to write, I wanted to try and get some story going for her, and finish one I started off when i first left, that there was someone left of Tradire's family.

That preamble over, technically blood elf demon hunters are not a common thing, and timing seems to make it seem that someone who was thought to have been killed during the scourge invasion/third war would not practically be able to be a demon hunter, or am I missing something in time lines?
Khorvis

Re: Demon hunters and the 3rd war/ Story RP guidance

Unread post by Khorvis »

It is unclear of the exact way Blizzard situates demon hunters in their lore. We have examples of them during the War of the Ancients, then we also have the initiates under Illidan.

I believe it would be stifling, lorewise, to assume canon demands all demon hunters have been training as such for millennia. In fact, the timeline you suggest would be ideal for a newly aspiring demon hunter.

SPOILER HERE:

Someone who disappeared after the Third War and the siege of Silvermoon could easily have wandered South and been present at the opening of the Dark Portal during the War in Outland. It would succinctly lead in to the Demon Hunter starting experience and wind up at the present.

The timelines line up.
Kharzak

Unread post by Kharzak »

Demon hunters make me think of DKs a bit, in that the first DKs were very different fundamentally than the third generation DKs which players can play. There's room for some overlap, RP-wise, if you're creative I think.
This is Wrath of Air Country! Select the superior air totem. Use Wrath of Air today!
Riplie
Irredeemable

Unread post by Riplie »

Thank you both for the input, Im not a fan of just completely making things up that could not be practical in the game world. I thought the time lines worked, just wanted some others with more story understanding to chime in! Now, time to try and write.
Duskheron

Unread post by Duskheron »

Villayna will be turning into a demon hunter through traditional WoW story-telling means: using a bronze dragon.

I suppose I should work out the details before the expansion hits.
WRA Grim: Duskheron
Nokokomah
Lost

Unread post by Nokokomah »

Kharzak wrote:Demon hunters make me think of DKs a bit, in that the first DKs were very different fundamentally than the third generation DKs which players can play. There's room for some overlap, RP-wise, if you're creative I think.
That's what I'd do, make up some alternative story basically. It might be a little harder for something as elite as a demon hunter, but every single DH having the same backstory would be so hard to roleplay anyway. Wouldn't they all have to like know each other? How would you even do that?

18:41:20 [Lilliana-TwistingNether]: I don't know how to play the game, just rp.
21:31:21 [Ulrezaj-TwistingNether]: What are we without the bw?
Yrzuli
Lost

Unread post by Yrzuli »

Not necessarily. It never really says how many loyalists Kael brought with him through the Dark Portal (at least that I recall). Simply that some were sent to Illidan for training as demon hunters.

This is Kael, after all. If Kael says to his people, "Follow me through to this place" you can bet many did. And while they obviously didn't all get sent to Illidan for training, I'm sure it's still a significant number.

I live in a quiet neighborhood. I still would only be able to pull the faces of a handful out of a lineup. There's nothing to suggest that they would all know each other.
Nokokomah
Lost

Unread post by Nokokomah »

This would probably make more sense if I'd actually read any of the upcoming lore, but I'm not sure I understand how all of those who *did* get sent to training, and therefore became demon hunters, wouldn't know each other? I mean, unless there were so many that there were multiple 'classes' and they ended up separate enough.

18:41:20 [Lilliana-TwistingNether]: I don't know how to play the game, just rp.
21:31:21 [Ulrezaj-TwistingNether]: What are we without the bw?
Syreenna
Irredeemable

Unread post by Syreenna »

I have more trouble wrapping my brain around characters we've known for years suddenly becoming demon hunters, and somehow becoming as proficient at it in weeks/months as people who have been training for it for years and years.
Alts: Lirsha Deathwhistle & Ayidda
Riplie
Irredeemable

Unread post by Riplie »

Syreena wrote:I have more trouble wrapping my brain around characters we've known for years suddenly becoming demon hunters, and somehow becoming as proficient at it in weeks/months as people who have been training for it for years and years.
That's where morts idea works well and has precedence in wow lore. Jump back into time with the bronze dragon and ride off into the sunset with Kael. It isn't just a few weeks thing, as you would join the original trip out there and have the same time to train