Max Camera Distance Reduction

Public Out of Character Board.
Greebo

Max Camera Distance Reduction

Unread post by Greebo »

Grisbault, Twice-Made.
The p, s, l, and t are silent, the screams are not.
Duskheron

Re: Max Camera Distance Reduction

Unread post by Duskheron »

I assume this means the bosses will be small enough to see their health bar over their head even if you are in melee range? What a seriously stupid idea.
WRA Grim: Duskheron
Filora

Unread post by Filora »

Noooooooooooooooooo

Edit: Actually the screenshot doesn't look that bad. I don't usually have it zoomed it even that far.

18:41:20 [Lilliana-TwistingNether]: I don't know how to play the game, just rp.
21:31:21 [Ulrezaj-TwistingNether]: What are we without the bw?
Yrzuli
Lost

Unread post by Yrzuli »

The only thing that kept me playing a druid as long as I did was max camera zoom, because I got tired of bear ass filling my screen.

I adjust my zoom levels /constantly/. If I'm out in the world flying/running around, I like a full-view of the world.

This change is probably the first thing in awhile that Blizz has done to anger me. There are still ways around it, but they are accessible only to people who have money to burn (4k monitors).
Awatu

Unread post by Awatu »

It's weird. They're making changes to the UI, some of which I can understand. But most of the pruning is for things that are universally desired, and I just don't understand the reasoning behind it. Nearly everyone utilizes these functions and even those who don't are agreeing that it's a bad change.

Very odd.
Awatu

Unread post by Awatu »

Link to Watcher's response to this. Reading that, I had a perpetual WTF face. I just don't think that a valid enough reason has been given.

Also, apparently, it was breaking their DynamicCam thing.

edit: So, the default max distance is 1.9 and typing in the console command brings it to 3.9. They have buffed the default max distance to 2.85. Not as good as the console command, but not as bad as the original.
Yrzuli
Lost

Unread post by Yrzuli »

Yeah, Ion's response was absolutely perplexing. I'm sorry but camera view isn't an "unfair advantage" -- because that all depends on playstyle too. Some people genuinely like being zoomed in. If that's their pref and they get jumped by PVP/adds, versus someone who zooms out and can see whatever is incoming .... That's still based upon people's personal preference.

I just don't know. It makes no sense. I hate all the UI trimming they've made. Thankfully I've already found an add-on that fixes their reduction of the character screen details.
Syreenna
Irredeemable

Unread post by Syreenna »

What else are they taking away from the UI? I'm on PTR now, and I haven't really noticed much yet.

Also, on PTR, I don't think I can zoom out as far as that screenshot, so I guess it's just in Legion and not in the next patch? Or they just didn't get it on to the PTR yet?
Alts: Lirsha Deathwhistle & Ayidda
Yrzuli
Lost

Unread post by Yrzuli »

Might be a hotfix only in beta.
Yrzuli
Lost

Unread post by Yrzuli »

Syreena wrote:What else are they taking away from the UI? I'm on PTR now, and I haven't really noticed much yet.
As for this -- that's precisely why Blizz is removing some options from the menus. There are so many things you /can/ tweak, but few people do so. So they're removing them.

Camera zoom isn't part of that -- it came out of mucking with Action Cam.
Khorvis

Unread post by Khorvis »

Seems silly. Blizzard makes good games but has a serious PR problem with their hardcore base. I break my camera distance with the console command, but frankly, never zoom out even as far as the 2.85 distance shown in the Watcher's link. Feels like a non-issue being blown up because Blizzard reps can't cut with their bullshit and admit that their action camera is more important to the devs than view distance.
Yrzuli
Lost

Unread post by Yrzuli »

Action Cam is interesting. Will I use it all the time? No. Will I even use it 50% of the time? Nope.

I may use it for screenshots. Maybe in big crowd situations, where I'm trying to track someone. Or maybe while healing. But really, it's a situational thing.

Shit, make them one or the other? Max distance or action cam. Let us have our choice.

Khorvis - I once put my thumb to my screen. My zoom was so far back that my character was about from my last joint to the tip of my thumb. I played for a long time like that.
Greebo

Unread post by Greebo »

I'm ranged. I play zoomed out max all the time. My character is so small I don't register him on the screen most of the time, I just assume he's in the middle and move fire left or right until it isn't there any more.
Grisbault, Twice-Made.
The p, s, l, and t are silent, the screams are not.
Kharzak

Unread post by Kharzak »

I play with my character at about two inches tall usually (I think), but I zoom way out for boss fights.
This is Wrath of Air Country! Select the superior air totem. Use Wrath of Air today!
Khorvis

Unread post by Khorvis »

Some of us play in first person!