Has anyone in Beta worked out the best way to level a healer?

Public Out of Character Board.
Ishiner
Lost

Re: Has anyone in Beta worked out the best way to level a healer?

Unread post by Ishiner »

Artifact talents work in PVP. The artifact and PVP talents seem to be the only things that are significantly different between individual players.

I don't know about rated PVP, but this is the case for regular BG's.
Greebo

Unread post by Greebo »

Raukon wrote:Artifact talents work in PVP.
That's interesting because artifact trait switching is definitely not free and there are some that are definitely more useful in pvp than pve and vice versa.

So even swapping in the same spec between pvp and pve is going to have issues.
Grisbault, Twice-Made.
The p, s, l, and t are silent, the screams are not.
Ishiner
Lost

Unread post by Ishiner »

I need to spend some more time looking at things, but switching talents and pvp talents is free in rested areas and in the 'setup' phase of BG's. Right now I am not sure how to switch my artifact talents.

Right now my leveling char is 101 and only has earned 1 artifact talent. Unless the amount of artifact power I earn ramps up dramatically, then the vast majority of the artifact talents will be earned at lvl 110.
Yrzuli
Lost

Unread post by Yrzuli »

Raukon wrote:Unless the amount of artifact power I earn ramps up dramatically, then the vast majority of the artifact talents will be earned at lvl 110.
It does ramp up, quite crazy-like. At 110, with less than half of my artifact weapon traits filled, they're already up to over 10,000 per point.
Swifthoof
Lost

Unread post by Swifthoof »

Coyotl wrote:
Raukon wrote:Unless the amount of artifact power I earn ramps up dramatically, then the vast majority of the artifact talents will be earned at lvl 110.
It does ramp up, quite crazy-like. At 110, with less than half of my artifact weapon traits filled, they're already up to over 10,000 per point.
This is the problem, I would say, level a healer, and then just use that toon for raiding, but you are going to have to keep grinding out AP to level up content. Doing that as a healer is going to be just nasty.

Putting some AP into your dps weapon may be a quality of life improvement you can make for questing, and in the long run, it probably isn't going to slow you down too much I guess (2-3 trait circles off your main spec when you have one super-trait unlocked???) but keeping two specs up to progression/competitive level is going to be pretty much impossible IMO.

Obviously we are not a mythic guild so a trait circle or two isn't going to get you kicked out, but I imagine the top guilds are going to be miserable.
Greebo

Unread post by Greebo »

Well those crazy duckers keep multiple toons at max level going into each new expansion so...

With respect to getting ap as a healer, I'm thinking at max level it'll be easier than for dps because world quests are group and need healers, and for 5 mans queuing healers pop so much faster than dps.
Grisbault, Twice-Made.
Yrzuli
Lost

Unread post by Yrzuli »

Swifthoof wrote:... but keeping two specs up to progression/competitive level is going to be pretty much impossible IMO.

Obviously we are not a mythic guild so a trait circle or two isn't going to get you kicked out, but I imagine the top guilds are going to be miserable.
I actually feel bad for DPS now. It's going to be a lot less Flavor of the Month now, and people will be raising hell if their chosen spec falls behind in DPS. Or cases like Anaie, who mid-xpac, decided to switch mains. Sure, he geared out Rumbuggery, but he'd be behind on artifact power more than likely.

Though they also say that each (week?) AP will be tweaked higher, to help with alts/alt-spec. So maybe catching up a second artifact, or a second character, won't be as bad as it seems.
Ulrezaj

Unread post by Ulrezaj »

Reading this thread is like watching a trainwreck: it's captivating and horrifying at the same time (while there's nothing you can do to stop it).

Should we be creating threads to confirm what role people are going to play for our RBGs/Raid teams next expac now? It might be a good idea considering how detrimental it is to make changes to the artifact weapon(s) and to help get people accommodated without overlapping roles.
Canaie
Irredeemable

Unread post by Canaie »

Maybe but I wouldn't know what I wanted to play until I get a chance to see the artifacts and their talents in action (and the PTR doesn't have that).
Swifthoof
Lost

I played around with the artifact calculator last night and using Coyotl's 10,000AP number, I estimated that by the beginning of raiding I would have say 20,000 - 30,000AP.

With that figure in mind I went through and picked traits on both dps and healing weapons, and my conclusion was that it will be waaay better to get to 10K AP as dps, forget healing until you reach 110.

From then on, divert all convenient AP to your healer weapon. You are not going to end up with the best healing weapon possible, but I think the increased rate of leveling and soloing after 110, is going to put you further ahead than someone who tries to do all this in healer spec.

The added advantage is that we will have healers who can switch to dps spec if a boss fight calls for it.

I estimate that depending on whether it is 20K or 30K and how much you can divert to healing questing as dps, you will be able to get one super-trait in healing and well towards your second, before raiding starts.
For me That will be powerful/moving tranquility super-trait and at least to the mana regen trait as I go to the nice wild-growth super-trait.

Feral form will get probably up to the first super-trait, which should be fine for solo content.
Greebo

Unread post by Greebo »

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/566 ... DK-Preview
"Right now the second through 11th ranks have an increase in cost of 25 Artifact Power per rank, but after that it becomes exponentially more expensive. "
Grisbault, Twice-Made.
Swifthoof
Lost

Greebo wrote:http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/566 ... DK-Preview
"Right now the second through 11th ranks have an increase in cost of 25 Artifact Power per rank, but after that it becomes exponentially more expensive. "
Yeah, I think for leveling this isn't going to be an issue. You should be able to get enough AP to barely slow you down on your healer spec.

The problem is going to be limited to someone who genuinely wants to dual-spec.
Ishiner
Lost

Unread post by Ishiner »

Relics boost one particular trait on your relic tree, so if those are easily replaceable, then you can have a bit more control over 'switching' talents.
Yrzuli
Lost

Unread post by Yrzuli »

Raukon wrote:Relics boost one particular trait on your relic tree, so if those are easily replaceable, then you can have a bit more control over 'switching' talents.
I don't know how replaceable they will be. You lose the relic if you replace it (similar to regemming), but there's no guarantee that you'd be able to find a similar relic if you switch back. Of course, I think inscription will be able to make some?
Paxristos

Unread post by Paxristos »

https://healiocentric.wordpress.com/201 ... t-believe/

this was informative... it looks like you can get artifact weapons for off spec at level 102.
Paxristos, Pepetlaca